Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Aussie officials confirm, "A dingo took the baby."

An Australian coroner has made a final ruling that a dingo dog took baby Azaria Chamberlain from a campsite in 1980 and caused her death.The decision was made after Azaria's parents presented new evidence to try to clear their names.
    After the eight week-old baby went missing, they were charged with her disappearance. Her mother was convicted of her murder.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18404330

I think I heard about this on Seinfeld and thought it was just a joke...not so funny when you're convicted of murder.
    Last edited by logroller; 06-12-2012 at 12:05 AM.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18404330

I think I heard about this on Seinfeld and thought it was just a joke...not so funny when you're convicted of murder.
    Certainly wasn't a joke. I believe they made a movie about it too. I always thought the child was taken by a dingo. As nothing pointed to the parents harming their own child!-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This was the greatest miscarriage of justice we have seen, and I am glad for this ruling. I actually thought the judge would hand down an open verdict, so was surprised at the verdict that was delivered.
    "You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders – The most famous of which is “never get involved in a land war in Asia” – but only slightly less well-known is this: “Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line”! - Vizzini (The Princess Bride)
    http://mywinterstorm83.livejournal.com/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Certainly wasn't a joke. I believe they made a movie about it too. I always thought the child was taken by a dingo. As nothing pointed to the parents harming their own child!-Tyr
    Yes! I read the book about this murder near the time it happened and was very intrigued. And I think Merryl Streep played the wife in the movie, IIRC.

I have always assumed it was this sort of sentimental love of dogs Aussies/English have that made the whole country assume that a dingo couldn't POSSIBLY have done it -----------

But what do they suppose dingos eat?

I think in America we have so many wild predators (Australia doesn't have so many) that we KNOW predators eat whatever they can catch.

I'm glad they cleared that up, finally.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Given the problem we have with coyotes in this country, I had no doubt a dingo could have been responsible. There is a recent alert for folks in Connecticut as the varmints are believed responsible for the disappearance or death of five dogs. Human beings live or seek recreation in areas inhabited by predators, they had better be aware of that and take precautions.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

While murder without proof is a no go, IMO - how does a mother/father leave an 8 week old baby in a position to be vulnerable to one of these things? Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but with the amount of animals and insects and other creatures they have roaming around over there, no way in hell I leave my 8 week old alone, not even for a second.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    While murder without proof is a no go, IMO - how does a mother/father leave an 8 week old baby in a position to be vulnerable to one of these things? Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but with the amount of animals and insects and other creatures they have roaming around over there, no way in hell I leave my 8 week old alone, not even for a second.
    That's why I always hang my kids high up in the trees. Don't want the bears getting em.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you put your baby in a tent, you expect her to be safe, not in harm.
    "You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders – The most famous of which is “never get involved in a land war in Asia” – but only slightly less well-known is this: “Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line”! - Vizzini (The Princess Bride)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nell's Room View Post
    Safe from wind and rain; not wild dogs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nell's Room View Post

Ummm, no. Only an irresponsible parent brings an EIGHT WEEKS old baby camping in a tent.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ummm, no. Only an irresponsible parent brings an EIGHT WEEKS old baby camping in a tent.
    It was 1980, things were a lot different then.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

When my friend Sharon (who lives in Melbourne) was doing some research, she spent a few months in the Northern States. She was aghast that anyone would doubt the woman at all. When threatened, dingos are extremely mean and vicious. Any creature, large or small, that threatens a dingo habitat is not going to fare well.
    Kangaroos are also extremely malicious.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    When my friend Sharon (who lives in Melbourne) was doing some research, she spent a few months in the Northern States. She was aghast that anyone would doubt the woman at all. When threatened, dingos are extremely mean and vicious. Any creature, large or small, that threatens a dingo habitat is not going to fare well.
    Kangaroos are also extremely malicious.
    They have bad ass snakes too and sharks.

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    They have bad ass snakes too and sharks.
    I Would be quicker to allege negligence if they took the baby out in ocean. Camping, not so much. I always bring a sidearm when camping to dispatch such threats.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    I Would be quicker to allege negligence if they took the baby out in ocean. Camping, not so much. I always bring a sidearm when camping to dispatch such threats.
    Lock and load---some of those poisonous snakes are on land.

("land shark")

A nutcase will do nutty things.