Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
What I found more troubling was in regards to the 1st amendment's interpretation of peaceable assembly to pertain solely intentioned toward redress of grievances. Maybe I'm way off, but that's how I read it.

sounds to me like a state could make a law saying you can't peaceably assemble to petition for a referendum of a state law, and that would be a-ok from a federal standpoint. Please tell me that clause's interpretation was overruled?
IMHO incorporation is a load of shit. That was NEVER the intent of the FF's. They SOLELY meant for the original amendments to apply to the USG ONLY.

Ex: Many of the original colonies were founded by communities of certain religions and that is how they wanted their colonies (later to become states) ran. The Amendment was meant to keep the feds in check in regards to what each state did.

Now, it is fair to say that in certain regards the founders expected each of the states to include certain things in their state constitutions before they were admitted as states; but they NEVER intended for the BoR itself to be incorporated.