Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    It probably is a tax from an economic perspective, i just want someone to tell me why-- using economic terms---not just, it is.
    An economist I'm not, heck other than trying to understand articles related to economics, not much interested going into the subject more deeply. However, definitions are always a good place to start, no?

http://www.businessdictionary.com/de.../taxation.html

taxation<object style="visibility: visible;" data="/aplayer_top.swf" id="speaker" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="17" width="17">

</object>
    Definition

A means by which governments finance their expenditure by imposing charges on citizens and corporate entities.
    Governments use taxation to encourage or discourage certain economic decisions. For example, reduction in taxable personal (or household) income by the amount paid as interest on home mortgage loans results in greater construction activity, and generates more jobs. See also taxation principles.

fee<object style="visibility: visible;" data="/aplayer_top.swf" id="speaker" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="17" width="17">

</object>
    Definitions (2)

1. Remuneration: In contracts based on cost reimbursement pricing, the 'fee' represents an amount beyond the initial cost estimates, and reflects factors such as the risks involved. Fee is usually subject to statutory limitations, and may be either fixed (as in a cost plus fixed fee contract) or allowed to vary within a specified range (as in a cost plus incentive fee contract).
    2. Land law: Estate capable of being transferred. See also fee simple absolute in possession and fee tail.

stamp tax

stamp duty
    stamped security

Definition

Ad valorem tax or flat tax levied on certain legal transactions such as the transfer (conveyance) of a property (building, copyright, land, patent, securities). Documents evidencing such transactions are recorded and become legally enforceable only if they are stamped to show that the proper amount of tax has been paid. Also called stamp duty.

Notice LR that your deduction regarding 'flat tax' in our discussion was merited?
    Last edited by Kathianne; 07-02-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: readability

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    It is easy LR, anytime any monemy is taken from the citizens by the government it is a tax and it drains money from the private sector and feeds it to the public sector. It slows economic growth and punishes achievement

and the definition of "tax"
    a sum of money demanded by a government for its support or for specific facilities or services, levied upon incomes, property, sales, etc.
    2. a burdensome charge, obligation, duty, or demand.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tax
    It probably is a tax from an economic perspective, i just want someone to tell me why-- using economic terms---not just, it is.
    I was told its an economic thing...bad and all that. I've yet to See it explained how...just, it is. I know the answer I think, but I would like someone else to explain in case I'm wrong.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I was told its an economic thing...bad and all that. I've yet to See it explained how...just, it is. I know the answer I think, but I would like someone else to explain in case I'm wrong.
    LR, anytime you tax somehting - anything - you are taking moeny out of the private sector. The folks have less money to spend. You have less disposable income

Therefore, the folks spend less and there is less economic activity

2/3 of the US economy is consumer spending which also means (sadly) the remaining 13 is government spending

I would love to see a 90/10 split with consumers leading the way

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

What the hell is anyone even talking about anymore? Holy shit guys.

it's a thread of "quote somebody else's arguments!"
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    What the hell is anyone even talking about anymore? Holy shit guys.

it's a thread of "quote somebody else's arguments!"
    ^ what he said.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99