Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Noir is from occupied Ireland.
    Anyway ... subject to comment from Noir, it's my understanding that the majority of Northern Irelanders are perfectly happy to be British.

The real problem out there (apart from religious factionalism) was the terrorism visited upon that country by the IRA and its offshoots.

In case you and Noir are at all interested, though I'm living in Wales these days, I'm English ... a Londoner born and bred (Edmonton, north London .. the place the Canadian city is named after ..).
    Last edited by Drummond; 06-28-2012 at 04:32 PM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Drummond, off topic a tad, but what's your thoughts on England leaving Beckham off the team for the Olympics? I was shocked to hear that this morning!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Drummond, off topic a tad, but what's your thoughts on England leaving Beckham off the team for the Olympics? I was shocked to hear that this morning!
    I think that 'shock' really covers it. I can make no sense of the decision .. I'm baffled by it.

In fact, I'm going to depart from the forum to see if I can hear any reports about it. Last I heard, the FA had yet to offer an explanation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    I think that 'shock' really covers it. I can make no sense of the decision .. I'm baffled by it.

In fact, I'm going to depart from the forum to see if I can hear any reports about it. Last I heard, the FA had yet to offer an explanation.
    I'm wondering if something happened behind the scenes that they won't tell us. Just for the ticket sales alone you would think they would have chosen him. The word is, that they left him off for better players, as Beckham had a rough start to the season in LA this year. I'm not buying it. I wish he could play for our team now!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm wondering if something happened behind the scenes that they won't tell us. Just for the ticket sales alone you would think they would have chosen him. The word is, that they left him off for better players, as Beckham had a rough start to the season in LA this year. I'm not buying it. I wish he could play for our team now!
    Damn right, if for no other reason than seeing his wife cheering USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Anyway ... subject to comment from Noir, it's my understanding that the majority of Northern Irelanders are perfectly happy to be British.

The real problem out there (apart from religious factionalism) was the terrorism visited upon that country by the IRA and its offshoots.

In case you and Noir are at all interested, though I'm living in Wales these days, I'm English ... a Londoner born and bred (Edmonton, north London .. the place the Canadian city is named after ..).
    It was a jab at Noir, he's very happy and proud to be a Brit. He is a raging liberal tho so I'm sure you two will butt heads on occasion.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

I've only been to Wales a few times, mostly to follow my local ice hockey team when they take on the Cardiff Devils (I can't say the city, nor the people have left good impressions on me each time lol) and a few times when i had a gf who lived bang in the middle of it near Llanidloes.

As per Norn Iron its probably around a 50/50 split, maybe an edge towards Unionism if any, i for one don't care, do whats economically best, because that is what will factor into real peoples day to day lives.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    I've only been to Wales a few times, mostly to follow my local ice hockey team when they take on the Cardiff Devils (I can't say the city, nor the people have left good impressions on me each time lol) and a few times when i had a gf who lived bang in the middle of it near Llanidloes.
    .. at the Millennium Stadium, I expect ? I've walked past it a few times, but never actually attended it when they have a game playing.

What was your problem with the city / its people ? It's a pretty ordinary city, I'd have thought (maybe a bit of a rural feel to it, for a capital city .. significantly more so than London). Likewise the people .. ordinary, fairly unremarkable ..

As per Norn Iron its probably around a 50/50 split, maybe an edge towards Unionism if any, i for one don't care, do whats economically best, because that is what will factor into real peoples day to day lives.
    Well, the only economically best system would be a Conservative one .. of course. We've seen in the UK how reckless Labour were with the economy .. a fool's paradise, spending out large sums of borrowed money they had little capacity to pay back (.. and with the result that we have to suffer an austerity regime for several more years to come).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    It was a jab at Noir, he's very happy and proud to be a Brit. He is a raging liberal tho so I'm sure you two will butt heads on occasion.
    ... Sounds like fun ... ! ..

Yes, no doubt we will, then. Happy to take his views on at any time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

That all makes good sense to me. Beckham's tried and tested, they should've gone with what they knew was likely to get good results.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond

.. at the Millennium Stadium, I expect ? I've walked past it a few times, but never actually attended it when they have a game playing.
    Naw they play out of the 'big blue tent' which is down in the bag area beside the waterpark place, thought that's only a temporary rink as they are building a new permanent ice arena (and indoor ski slope) in the bay area over the next few years.

What was your problem with the city / its people ? It's a pretty ordinary city, I'd have thought (maybe a bit of a rural feel to it, for a capital city .. significantly more so than London). Likewise the people .. ordinary, fairly unremarkable ..
    Idk, like, I like to travel a lot and you can feel how different cities are different and Cardiff just felt (as you say) unremarkable. And it started so promising when I saw the train station building and open plaza outside it lol,

Well, the only economically best system would be a Conservative one .. of course. We've seen in the UK how reckless Labour were with the economy .. a fool's paradise, spending out large sums of borrowed money they had little capacity to pay back (.. and with the result that we have to suffer an austerity regime for several more years to come).
    I meant in regards to the Unionist/Nationalist debate. Anyone who is a unionist/national for no other reason that they want an all Ireland/ British Union is an idiot. ATM it's much more economically sensible to remain in the UK, so we should.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.