Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes, precision shooting (regardless of weapon) is a wonderful thing! As a wise man once said; "only accurate guns are interesting". Glad that you're not afraid to enjoy all aspects of shooting. I've shot just about everything and although it may be a shock to many within DP, I do not like shooting guns and prefer any type of archery equipment. I shoot crossbow, compound, recurve, long bow and have taken deer (left handed as well as right) with all (including rifle) with the exception of recurve and long bow. I've yet to hunt with these primitive weapons although I have shot them. I shoot with or without sights and am comfortable with either style. I HATE shooting guns without a scope just as much as I detest release aids in archery. I'm a bare finger man or I use home-made shooting tabs. Good to hear that there are more archers on this site. I'm still waiting on Granny Hawkins to chime in...come on GRANNY!!!
    NEVER MESS WITH AN
    IRISH/SCOTT/ITALIAN CHEROKEE!

"A wise man is at the right hand but a fool is at the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
    "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God" Psalms 53:1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    I shoot mostly compound and occassionally recurve. I really am fascinated by precision shooting (love shooting airguns as in the Olympic events).
    Precision shooting is great. As teenagers we Southern country boys had our own version of it in which we used 22 caliber rifles.
    We would find a suitable tree or powerline pole , nail in a number of nails 4 or 5 inches apart leaving about a quarter inch of the nail head not driven in, then at a pre-decided distance , usually 20 to 25 yards we would shoot to drive the nail all the way in . Its even much harder than one would original think because hitting the head of the nail doesnt always drive it in unless its hit dead center! My young eyes were good back then(late 60's) and since we shot with the winner getting a pot of money(combined bets) each time a nail was driven in I often ended up with the equivalent of a couple day's pay for shooting an hour or so. Also if we were drinking beer(years later) , we would bet money on shooting beer botles at about the same distance but the trick was to shoot to top of the neck off without breaking the rest of the bottle! Hard to do unless one shoots the top one inch of the neck of the bottle. Also used to use the old coke bottle caps nailed to a tree as our targets but at a greater distance, bet money on hitting them too. Hell, I've been gambling on shooting since I was about 12 years old.
    You shoot a recurve . What brand or is it custom made? My favorite recurve currently is the Bandito recurve made by Howatt Archery in the 70's! Baby shoots like a dream, smooooooth as silk! No hand shock at all. However I still prefer shooting my longbows.-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Sorry, Ellison fans, but I'm afraid Brady has "choked".

LONDON — Brady Ellison, whose No. 1 ranking and amiable personality made him the face of American archery, was eliminated in the men's individual Round of 16 on Wednesday in one of the most stunning results for the U.S. at the London Games.

Taylor Worth of Australia defeated Ellison 7-1 in set points, tallying 112 points overall to 106 for the Glendale, AZ native. Worth, 21, was ranked No. 44 in the world entering the event.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympi...4513--oly.html
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Sorry, Ellison fans, but I'm afraid Brady has "choked".

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympi...4513--oly.html

Archery competition requires both talent and iron discipline! Discipline increases the ability to perfom consistently at a very high level. Natural talent only goes so far. An off day could be to blame rather than choking! As an archer I know that no matter what one tries to correct their bad shooting on an off day the results rarely improve very much. I've had off days where I couldn't hit a plastic milk container at 20 paces! I've also had days where I could hit bullseyes in speed shooting at 25/35 yards. Speed shooting as we practiced it was also called instinctive shooting, that is the smooth and fast drawing of an arrow from your back quiver and in one quick as a flash movement, nock it and shoot it in one smooth and very fast motion. Practiced for fun and to improve eye/ hand coordination,instinctive sighting and proper stance when shooting. Hell, we have even done so when stump shooting with judo points . That we did at a bet of a dollar or even sometimes 5 spot a shot! All done shooting longbows or recurves with no sight aids or even shooting tabs/gloves.
    Archery will see a big jump because of its popularity during these 2012 Olympic games.-Tyr

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/ar...ympics-080312/

Updated Aug 4, 2012 4:58 AM ET
    LONDON (AP)
    Maybe it's the effect of ''The Hunger Games'' and bow-and-arrow-toting heroine Katniss Everdeen, or the lure of competing at a 200-year-old venue. Or maybe it's the Robin Hood factor.
    WORLD IS WATCHING
    Olympic stars are squarely in the spotlight as Olympics hit their second week. STAR TRACKER.
    Whatever the reason, archery is hot at the London Olympics - sometimes hotter than anything else NBC showed on its cable channels during the opening week of the games.

Much the same way curling became the can't-miss niche sport of the Vancouver Games two winters ago, archery shined in London.

''The profile of our sport,'' said Brady Ellison, the world's top-ranked archer who helped the U.S. win a team silver medal, ''has never been higher.''

About time, archers say.

The sport is getting a boost from the popular ''The Hunger Games,'' plus more archery in films like ''Brave'' and ''The Avengers.'' The sport was also showcased at a venue steeped in history — Lord's Cricket Ground has been the home of the sport featuring bats, not bows, since the early 1800s — there were many ingredients for intrigue at these Olympics.

And it delivered. NBC said archery even topped basketball when shown on its cable channels, averaging 1.5 million viewers.

''The new curling,'' is how NBC Research President Alan Wurtzel described archery. ''The numbers for archery have been nothing less than huge.''

The final arrow of these games was shot Friday, so the challenge now becomes keeping these new fans.

In London, the stands were filled for every session. Tickets were tough to find, in part because some locals apparently clamored for them just to see Lord's.

Much like curling, archery lacks mainstream status in the US, and almost certainly won't get there anytime soon. But the numbers from London show that people are fascinated by it, even if many might not understand what's happening beyond the basics — an archer, a bow, an arrow, a target.

Maybe that will change now.

''What helped was the movies, of course,'' said longtime archery official Don Rabska of the US, who coached actress Geena Davis when she tried to qualify for the 2000 Sydney Games. ''I think that really brought archery to the forefront, at least in the minds of the spectating public. People are seeing it and saying, 'Wow, archery's cool.' And with those movies in succession coming out bang-bang-bang drew a lot of interest.''

''It was the perfect storm,'' Rabska added. ''This iconic venue, and people seeing archery, created a draw.''

There was even a bit of controversy. A day after setting the first world records of the 2012 Games, visually impaired competitor Im Dong-hyun led South Korea to a bronze medal in the team event, then suggested his eyesight was less impaired than had been widely reported.

Disney's animated ''Brave'' came out earlier this year, the story of a princess who relies on archery to break a curse. ''The Avengers'' prominently featured the sport as well, and this fall, the CW Television Network is set to debut the show ''Arrow,'' which revolves around a bow-carrying vigilante.

''More than ever, everybody is kind of following archery a little bit right now,'' said U.S. archer Jacob Wukie, part of the silver-medalist team.

Without question, ''The Hunger Games'' played a huge role in generating attention. (Even LeBron James is a fan.) Katniss, the character played by Jennifer Lawrence, shoots an apple from the mouth of a roasted pig in the film. Lawrence spent 15 days training with Khatuna Lorig, who also represented the US in London, about 110 miles south of Sherwood Forest.

''It was really nice,'' Lorig said. ''It was a privilege for me to coach Jennifer Lawrence. It's just good for archery. Archery is a unique sport, a great sport, and keeping the kids interested is the best thing.''

There were perhaps as many young kids and teens at Lord's on Friday for the final archery matches as there were adults, and volunteers at the venue said that was the norm for the competition. For those unsure about what was happening, or what to do, big video screens offered hints, flashing ''Applause'' at times, ''Cheer'' at others.
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 08-04-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.