Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Pacu, Testicle-Eating Fish Species, Caught In Lake Lou Yaeger In Illinois

Why do people do this? Wonder if they ever catch any of these people who illegally release these animals?

When biologists say the pacu fish eats nuts, they may be correct in more ways than one.
    The pacu, a toothy fish that can weigh up to 55 pounds, has been spotted in Lake Lou Yaeger in Illinois, KSDK reports.
    Responding to a report that a fisherman had reeled in a piranha on June 7, lake superintendent Jim Caldwell brought the fish to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, where it was identified as a pacu. Some reports say another pacu was seen a couple of weeks later.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1656015.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Why do people do this? Wonder if they ever catch any of these people who illegally release these animals?

When biologists say the pacu fish eats nuts, they may be correct in more ways than one.
    The pacu, a toothy fish that can weigh up to 55 pounds, has been spotted in Lake Lou Yaeger in Illinois, KSDK reports.
    Responding to a report that a fisherman had reeled in a piranha on June 7, lake superintendent Jim Caldwell brought the fish to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, where it was identified as a pacu. Some reports say another pacu was seen a couple of weeks later.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1656015.html
    Being quite fond of my family jewels I'll not being going swimming in any lakes there . Not willing to take the chance no matter how long the odds are against losing a testicle! OUCH!-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Being quite fond of my family jewels I'll not being going swimming in any lakes there . Not willing to take the chance no matter how long the odds are against losing a testicle! OUCH!-Tyr
    Nasty looking little fish...that's for sure. Could you imagine reeling one of those things in? I'm wondering if they are saying attacks are 'uncommon' just because there arent a large population of them in the lake. Or... if they really ARE more prone to eat snails etc..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Nasty looking little fish...that's for sure. Could you imagine reeling one of those things in? I'm wondering if they are saying attacks are 'uncommon' just because there arent a large population of them in the lake. Or... if they really ARE more prone to eat snails etc..
    Could be that the fish is newly released and has not had time to populate the lake in large numbers yet!
    Or not too many people have been going swimming naked in the lake (skinny dipping) so no cases of losing family jewels reported there yet!
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Could be that the fish is newly released and has not had time to populate the lake in large numbers yet!
    Or not too many people have been going swimming naked in the lake (skinny dipping) so no cases of losing family jewels reported there yet!
    Just don't go skinning dipping then I guess. Wouldn't want to confuse the little bastards into mistaking the ' family jewels' for snails.

Wonder what game and fish does to try and catch these fish...if anything. Weren't they trying to kill off snakeheads in other lakes at one point to prevent them from ruining the habitat?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

00000071.JPGMy son caught one in Texas----at first we thought it was a pirahnna (sp)
    Last edited by Dilloduck; 07-08-2012 at 12:03 PM.

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    00000071.JPGMy son caught one in Texas----at first we thought it was a pirahnna (sp)
    Cool picture...very colorful fish. Was it aggressive? What did ya do with it after catching it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool picture...very colorful fish. Was it aggressive? What did ya do with it after catching it?
    no more so than a bass. Can't remember eating it and I know we didn't throw it back. Never caught another one and it was a pretty small lake.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I've owned Piranha's, Pacu's & had a few Snakehead's over the years. None of mine got as big as the stuff you see on the news though. My biggest Piranha was probably about 4 inches or so, but he ate everything and anything in his tank. The Pacu's generally grew to about 8-10 inches, but were less aggressive. The Snakehead was a vicious little bastard, only growing to like 3-4 inches, but like the Piranha he ate anything. But the largest I ever had were my Oscar's, which weren't as aggressive as the others, but easily would have just swallowed them whole. The Oscar's were each about a foot long or so.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I've owned Piranha's, Pacu's & had a few Snakehead's over the years. None of mine got as big as the stuff you see on the news though. My biggest Piranha was probably about 4 inches or so, but he ate everything and anything in his tank. The Pacu's generally grew to about 8-10 inches, but were less aggressive. The Snakehead was a vicious little bastard, only growing to like 3-4 inches, but like the Piranha he ate anything. But the largest I ever had were my Oscar's, which weren't as aggressive as the others, but easily would have just swallowed them whole. The Oscar's were each about a foot long or so.
    I remember watching a documentary on the snakehead fish that have been released in Lakes and ponds in the US. Ugly little suckers. Found a story on them.

Native to china...brought here for food. Article does say...if you catch fish you don't recognize to contact game and fish.

Snakehead found in Wisconsin

Snakehead fish are native to China but are imported into the US as aquarium fish as well as food fish. Snakeheads can cause serious problems to native fish populations if they get established in US waters.A snakehead was found recently in a river in Wisconsin. Incredibly, it was not identified before it was released back into the river! It could

be an aquarium pet that got too big and was dumped, or it could have been imported for food and somehow been released into the river.
    A few months ago snakeheads caused quite a stir when one was found in a pond in Maryland. The media make a fuss about it and hyped it far out of porportion. Snakeheads have been found in US waters over a dozen times in the past few years but made little news until the snakehead was found in Maryland.Snakeheads look a lot like bowfins to me. They feed in similar ways and have teeth. If you catch a snakehead, don't try to lip it! Do kill it, though, do not release it back into the water.

http://fishing.about.com/cs/fishfact.../aa092703a.htm

And you are right they will eat anything...including rodents and birds...

Great Snakehead Fish Fact Sheet

What Great Snakehead Eat - Anything that moves, including fish, frogs, snakes,crustaceans and even birds and rodents. They ambush their food, they do not usually chase it.

http://fishing.about.com/od/fishspec...head_facts.htm
    Last edited by Shadow; 07-08-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For a nominal fee I would be willing to fish for snakeheads the rest of my life except on weekends. I need weekends off.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I remember watching a documentary on the snakehead fish that have been released in Lakes and ponds in the US. Ugly little suckers. Found a story on them.
    There are various breeds I believe, as you used to be able to get little guys at the pet store, and then you would hear about these 5 pounders caught in lakes and such. The little guy I had would bite me, plants, other fish and even fake plants. Just a destructive fish! I couldn't imagine having such a large one in a tank, you'd probably have to feed it a steak everyday!

I'm not sure about elsewhere, but in NY you can no longer find Piranha's, Pacu's or Snakeheads, but you can still find the Oscar here and there.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For a nominal fee I would be willing to fish for snakeheads the rest of my life except on weekends. I need weekends off.
    You could be like that guy that searches the murky water for man eating snakeheads (and other river monsters) with only a snorkle and a spear.
    Last edited by Shadow; 07-08-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You could be like that guy on that searches the murky water for man eating snakeheads (and other river monsters) with only a snorkle and a spear.
    I saw that show---no thanks--I'll stick to a rod and reel. My cajones are too important to me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    There are various breeds I believe, as you used to be able to get little guys at the pet store, and then you would hear about these 5 pounders caught in lakes and such. The little guy I had would bite me, plants, other fish and even fake plants. Just a destructive fish! I couldn't imagine having such a large one in a tank, you'd probably have to feed it a steak everyday!

I'm not sure about elsewhere, but in NY you can no longer find Piranha's, Pacu's or Snakeheads, but you can still find the Oscar here and there.
    Probably why they end up in lakes and ponds. Get too big and are too expensive to keep. NM has a lot of illegal to own or sell animals now too. They have lists hanging in the pet shops of all the breeds.

I saw that show---no thanks--I'll stick to a rod and reel. My cajones are too important to me.
    aw...come on...where is your sense of adventure.
    Last edited by Shadow; 07-08-2012 at 12:55 PM.