Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Indiana Jones of Coffee

BOMA, South Sudan—Tim Schilling trudged through the African wilderness, trailing a barefoot tribeswoman named Nyameron.

A sort of Indiana Jones of coffee, Mr. Schilling, 59 years old, was seeking wild strains of coffea Arabica, the fragrant beans used to make most of the world's lattes and cappuccinos. The Texas A&M University agronomist heads World Coffee Research, a nonprofit financed by Folgers coffee maker J.M. Smucker Co., Peet's Coffee & Tea Inc. and others.

The group's goal is to expand the global coffee crop's tiny gene pool. But after four days of hiking on this plateau west of Ethiopia, Mr. Schilling's 15-member expedition—which included a coffee taxonomist, a Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc. executive, agriculture students and hired porters—still hadn't found any specimens that seemed new. They were hoping that Nyameron, a wild-coffee connoisseur they had met through a Murle tribal chief, could help.

Companies are turning to exploration to ensure future coffee supplies because production has leveled off even as demand has increased, causing coffee-bean prices to quadruple since 2001.

The world consumed 17.6 billion pounds of coffee beans last year, up from 2.6 billion in 1982, according to the U.S. Agriculture Department. But production in Colombia, which provides 10% of the world's Arabica beans, has dropped 36% since 2005. Output in Brazil, the world's leading Arabica producer, recently hit a four-year low.

Many factors are causing coffee's problems, experts say, including climate changes in some coffee-growing areas and population growth in Central America, which has led to pressure to convert coffee plots into housing and shopping malls.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-in...of-coffee.html

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I generally drink 4-8 cups a day of glorious Coffee! Love it. Best thing since...s3x. AND, I don't feel like a loser for 'drinking coffee without a partner'
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    I generally drink 4-8 cups a day of glorious Coffee! Love it. Best thing since...s3x. AND, I don't feel like a loser for 'drinking coffee without a partner'
    I don't drink coffee much...but my kids do. Their dad got them addicted when they were old enough to walk. They like the fru fru flavors though (Vanilla,carmel,chocolate truffle etc).

I was wondering why coffee costs so dang much these days though (holy cow)...now I know. Civilization is encroaching on the land used to grow the stuff...as more people become addicted to .

Kind of a catch 22. Gotta have more shopping malls to sell coffee...and the malls leave no place to grow the stuff. Funny how that works...such is life LOL
    Last edited by Shadow; 07-20-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I like foo-foo flavors in my coffee, too

I really enjoy costco whole-bean. We have a burr-grinder and grind fresh before every brew. Makes a good cup
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

I really used to love to drink my coffee. Now Im sworn off coffee because of the caffeine. Of course I could drink decaffeinated but I decided to go with healthier fruit juices as a substitute. Back in the day I was wired like a big dog in wintertime when I drank 10 to 12 cups of very strong coffee a day!
    I've only had two cups of coffee in the last 15 months.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I stopped drinking pop/soda. Since Dec 2009 I can't imagine i've had more than 8 whole bottles/cans of pop. If I have nothing else, I imbibe - otherwise...coffee or water...or beer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

I stopped drinking pop/soda. Since Dec 2009 I can't imagine i've had more than 8 whole bottles/cans of pop. If I have nothing else, I imbibe - otherwise...coffee or water...or beer.
    I stopped the drinking pop too. Now I buy the 8 packs of 7.5 fluid oz. cans of Sprite for my wife and I occasionally drink one. Sprite = no caffeine. I figure that my saving the calories by not drinking pop allows for my buying and usually eating the lion's share of two blackberry cobblers a week. Im like a bear about blackberries. As a child my mother used to make the best blackberry cobblers. With eleven kids I never got enough!
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    I stopped the drinking pop too. Now I buy the 8 packs of 7.5 fluid oz. cans of Sprite for my wife and I occasionally drink one. Sprite = no caffeine. I figure that my saving the calories by not drinking pop allows for my buying and usually eating the lion's share of two blackberry cobblers a week. Im like a bear about blackberries. As a child my mother used to make the best blackberry cobblers. With eleven kids I never got enough!

Sprite = about 150 calories per can.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Sprite = about 150 calories per can.
    I buy the Sprite, 7.5 ounce cans only= 90 calories with no caffeine.
    Occasionally drink one = usually about 1 per week as opposed to my old standard of 3 15 ounce cans of pop a day.
    Went from 3x 150=450, 450x7=3150 calories a week on soda to about 90 calories(one can 7.5 ounce) a week. A difference of 3060 calories a week.
    I think I'll stick with my plan and still splurge on the blackberry cobblers!
    Especially since I 've cut back about 80% on my drinking of cold brewskies.-
    15 months ,currently down 39 pounds = 189lbs.. Slower steady weight loss is the best weight loss IMHO.
    My best fighting weight is 185lbs. A mere 4 lbs to go! - -Tyr

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Start of June I was 245lbs This morning I'm 230.8. Slow and steady indeed. 30 more to go.

(73" tall, btw)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I was wondering why coffee costs so dang much these days though (holy cow)...now I know. Civilization is encroaching on the land used to grow the stuff...as more people become addicted to .
    You're letting you're inner hippy show on that one Shadow

I'll tell you my theory. The price of coffee isn't high per se. It just feels like it because of all the douche bags that line up at Starbucks to get a $5 cup of "foo foo" coffee. My wife is one of them. I actually had to put a budget restriction on her coffee spending! Meanwhile, I pay 50 cents for a large cup of coffee from the food truck that pulls up at my job and it tastes just fine in all it's roachy goodness.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I really enjoy costco whole-bean. We have a burr-grinder and grind fresh before every brew. Makes a good cup
    Ok. I know you hav sweet canon glass; and now I find out you have a burr grinder...
    Must find a way to prevent my coveting of others--where's that ignore link?
    Ok, you drink beer...ignore averted.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We have pinon coffee here...ever tried that? It's very good. Have a place I visit just to send NM coffee to friends and relatives around the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    I really used to love to drink my coffee. Now Im sworn off coffee because of the caffeine. Of course I could drink decaffeinated but I decided to go with healthier fruit juices as a substitute. Back in the day I was wired like a big dog in wintertime when I drank 10 to 12 cups of very strong coffee a day!
    I've only had two cups of coffee in the last 15 months.
    I used to drink a lot of Iced tea...then I started working and since I don't drink coffee I got hooked on cokes. I need to cut back and drink more water.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderknuckles View Post
    You're letting you're inner hippy show on that one Shadow

I'll tell you my theory. The price of coffee isn't high per se. It just feels like it because of all the douche bags that line up at Starbucks to get a $5 cup of "foo foo" coffee. My wife is one of them. I actually had to put a budget restriction on her coffee spending! Meanwhile, I pay 50 cents for a large cup of coffee from the food truck that pulls up at my job and it tastes just fine in all it's roachy goodness.

Yeah...and now we have all the other foo foo coffee joints popping up all over the place...Satelite....Joe's Coffee..etc...

But...last time I tried to buy DD's coffee at the grocery store it was almost $12.00 a bag. I decided the brats could do without

Ah...the roach coach. I miss those...was very good for quickie breakfast burritos when I was preggers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

I thought this guy was the Indiana Jones of Coffee...
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post

I thought this guy was the Indiana Jones of Coffee...
    Good 'ole Juan Valdez.... I wonder if he is still alive and kicking?