Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    that's the problem I see code.....

I was actually laughing my butt off while reading your guys posts...because I know from experience once I start talking code to someone they get this glazed over look on their face and then they usually say HUH....
    What kind of coding do you do Trinity? Is it your career or just a hobby?
    I've spent about 15 years in software development myself. Mostly VB and C# for stand alone applications but also just about everything related to web based coding.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderknuckles View Post
    What kind of coding do you do Trinity? Is it your career or just a hobby?
    I've spent about 15 years in software development myself. Mostly VB and C# for stand alone applications but also just about everything related to web based coding.

I do freelance web development/design...... html, xhtml, JavaScript, css, etc. and what ever else I might need to learn, depending on what I have to do.
    You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word. ~ Gaffer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I do freelance web development/design...... html, xhtml, JavaScript, css, etc. and what ever else I might need to learn, depending on what I have to do.
    Nice!
    Have you delved into HTML5 and CSS3 at all and if so what do you think?
    Personally, I think Silverlight and Flash are dead long term. Adobe has already handed in the towel with Flash, it's just a matter of time before Microsoft does as well with Silverlight.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I the coders here at DP. And I'll be compiling a list for when I need help! I'm more of a hardware guy myself, which is good, cause this means I can't help any of you if you have any problems!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

that's the problem I see code.....

I was actually laughing my butt off while reading your guys posts...because I know from experience once I start talking code to someone they get this glazed over look on their face and then they usually say HUH....

Well said. By the way. Have you noticed the IRONY of how close the resemblance is between html code, java, and Politics, where many have little, if any idea what they are seeing, reading, or complaining about????????

That GLAZED OVER look seems to be nationwide....as in almost 55 million. Considering how many Americans voted for Obama then....and how few of them are still convinced about that HOPE and CHANGE thing....like waiting for LBJ to climb out of his grave, and grant all Black Americans the FINAL handful of dollars for the Great Society.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderknuckles View Post
    Nice!
    Have you delved into HTML5 and CSS3 at all and if so what do you think?
    Personally, I think Silverlight and Flash are dead long term. Adobe has already handed in the towel with Flash, it's just a matter of time before Microsoft does as well with Silverlight.

Yes I have messed with them a little bit. I agree Flash is dead and being replaced with Edge from Adobe, which is a their new web development tool for developing html5, css3 and javascript. It's not due to release till sometime next year but if your interested you can download it for free. http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/edge/
    You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word. ~ Gaffer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    A lot of posts of late are coming up with the quote tags screwed up and making threads more difficult to read. When the quote tags are over applied, or missing, the reader now has a jumbled bit of text to go through with multiple posts all put together as one, and it becomes difficult to tell who wrote what.

Here is a screenshot of what it should look like when you are making a post and having had quoted someone. Notice the opening quote AND closing quote:

The opening quote must have the word QUOTE of course, and it MUST be surrounded by an opening and closing bracket. Once the persons words you are quoting is completed, the word QUOTE must be at the end of the text. This ending quote MUST also have the opening and closing brackets surrounding the word - and just as important, the ending quote tage MUST have a backslash just prior to the word QUOTE. This means BOTH words have to be surrounded by opening and closing brackets, and the closing bracket must always contain the backslash, which is telling the code that this is the end of what needs to be quoted.

Another common mistake is when someone tries to make some of the quoted posts words as bold. What this does when you put some of the words in bold is the same as quoting, except now it puts the letter B in opening brackets and then at the end of what you would like bold should be another B, but just like when quoting, and the closing bracket must contain the backslash. This is how a typical bold statement should appear:

And lastly, using them together. Many times people want to quote a member and then highlight some of their post in bold. These codes MUST remain independent. Here is an example of what I find many sometimes doing wrong, which is mixing the codes:

And this is how it should appear, with all opening tags and closing tags independent of one another. All tags need an opening "statement" and a closing statement, which all need to be cleanly by themselves.

There is of course no rule over this, and we know it's still going to happen here and there. But hopefully with a little better understanding we can minimize how often this happens and make threads more fluid for everyone.

Btw, the idea of opening and closing tags applies the same for all of the others, for example: Italics, underline, centering, code, IMG...

Bumping this post as I see some are still unsure how to use the quote feature. Please read this thread and see if we can get the option working better, as some threads are nearly impossible to read with the quote function butchered, or not even used.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

There is a bug causing everything posted below a hyperlink to be part of that hyperlink.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    There is a bug causing everything posted below a hyperlink to be part of that hyperlink.
    you sure> I posted a few links today, and everything seems fine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    you sure> I posted a few links today, and everything seems fine.
    When I get time, I will go through the exact steps to replicate the bug.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    http://www.yahoo.com/

I would look at the code of what is being posted. Generally this would only happen if someone copy and pastes something from a website and not the URL bar, and then the tags are off, or no closing tag present, so the following text stays as part of the URL. But there's no bug as tons and tons of links are posted and it's not happening to me or anyone else.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

<title>QUOTING POSTS</title>
    <quote>Anyone who understand how to use HTML can present anything they want here.</quote>

<center> THIS IS A TEST MESSAGE IN HTML FOR DEBATE POLICY

Jim, if you look at the source code. You will see how easy it is.
    </center>
    Last edited by aboutime; 08-01-2013 at 02:05 PM.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://www.yahoo.com/

I would look at the code of what is being posted. Generally this would only happen if someone copy and pastes something from a website and not the URL bar, and then the tags are off, or no closing tag present, so the following text stays as part of the URL. But there's no bug as tons and tons of links are posted and it's not happening to me or anyone else.
    Your 140 is showing...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    Your 140 is showing...
    Maybe 'someone' will come in and give us some lessons, help out the less fortunate who aren't exactly up to par on this here quotey quotey thing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe 'someone' will come in and give us some lessons, help out the less fortunate who aren't exactly up to par on this here quotey quotey thing.
    Well, I'm sure he's an 'expert'.