Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I met a guy once who claimed he was an amateur gunsmith... cut from the same cloth as the guy in the OP.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Abbey, forgive me for asking what may have been answered... How well do you know this person? Did you verify the wounds? I ask, because it sounds like a good argument from a liberal anti-gun nutter looking for "ammo" to push for more gun regulation or similar.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Abbey, forgive me for asking what may have been answered... How well do you know this person? Did you verify the wounds? I ask, because it sounds like a good argument from a liberal anti-gun nutter looking for "ammo" to push for more gun regulation or similar.
    No problem, I know it sounds weird. I know him, and I have family members who were there, and took him to the hospital. It's real.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mechanical failures. Wear, faulty assembly, damage or faulty design of the firearm can cause it not to function as intended. For instance, a safety may have been worn down to a point where it is no longer functioning. Broken or worn parts in the trigger, sear or hammer/striker may have given the firearm a "hair trigger" (a very sensitive trigger). A dented or bent body of the firearm may cause jams or premature discharge of ammunition. Sensitivity to impact may cause a firearm to discharge if dropped or struck against another object.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_safety

I would never trust a safety.

Or your "friend" for that matter
    Last edited by Dilloduck; 08-22-2012 at 04:44 PM.

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post

Why "friend" in quotes? Do you think it is me?

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Why "friend" in quotes? Do you think it is me?
    LMAO--no no no====

I was just thinking that this person may not be a big buddy of yours after this incident.

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

LMAO--no no no====

I was just thinking that this person may not be a big buddy of yours after this incident.
    Ha! I've always been leery of him. Unfortunately, he is a my nephew's best friend, and the family still shows no signs of reining him in.

While we're on the subject, what do you all think of people shooting squirrels out of the window of their home? With neighbors on both sides. He does this, too.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ha! I've always been leery of him. Unfortunately, he is a my nephew's best friend, and the family still shows no signs of reining him in.

While we're on the subject, what do you all think of people shooting squirrels out of the window of their home? With neighbors on both sides. He does this, too.
    Tell him to kill those stupid squirrels, maybe they'll learn to stay away from the bird feeder.
    Oh, and squirrel taco's are awesome. Made some up here , just happens to be enough meat for one!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    I dunno. Something funny here as guns don't just go off by themselves. Safety or no safety, if the gun is secured in the holster and no one is messing with it, I don't see how it just "cooked off" a round. I have several older single action revolvers that are not equipped with a safety; none of them EVER fired a round all by themselves. I have many other firearms that have safeties and none of those EVER fired a round "accidently" whether the safety was on or off.
    Those revolvers don't have a half-cock; that is old!

. I also found out that he was "showing" his always-worn-on-his-belt hunting knife to a 6 year old girl in the house.
    what would Freud say about that????

I have a good friend who's a competive shooter, and his guns are modified extensively, includin the trigger pull-- but its not as though thats his carry weapon-- that's like commuting in a drag car.

Ive shot a lot, not as much as some, but enough to have been muzzle swept a time or two and had to have a heart to heart conversation on the basics of firearm safety. That muzzle sweep thing, that violates rule 2-- never cover your muzzle with anything youre not willing to destroy. I'll not bore you with four basics, but respect for firearms and the safety of those around you is of paramount concern. Discharging a weapon in proximity to any house/residence is a big no-no in all but the most dire of circumstances. Ok; maybe I'll bore you
    that last one, firing around houses with trees, bushes, rocks and what not--that likely violates rule 4 -- know your target and beyond. It likely violates county ordinances as well.
    The first rule is treat every firearm as if it's loaded. That's the cardinal rule; and one abbey's friend clearly violated when, by trusting in the safety device, neglected to respect the fact it's a loaded weapon. This is why you always check a weapon before handling it; both before giving it somebody and upon receiving it. Which brings me to rule 3 -- keep your finger of the trigger until ready to fire (I'm guessing abbeys friend violated this rule too). This is a learned behavior, and if you watch trained marksmen, from the draw and throughout the sighting process the trigger (and guard) will be unattended. Quite frankly, it takes multiple rule violations to result in an accidental injury. This guy was just careless, the gun did exactly what it is intended to do, and it sounds like he's been dealt a healthy dose of reality, but somebody needs to sit him down and have a talk about responsible gun ownership...for the children.
    Last edited by logroller; 08-23-2012 at 12:37 AM.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Abbey, I always handle my gun as if the safety cannot be trusted. So, it's like a backup plan.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Abbey, I always handle my gun as if the safety cannot be trusted. So, it's like a backup plan.
    Exactly. To do otherwise would be the equivalent of wearing a seatbelt and thinking you can ignore the basic rules of the road.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    Those revolvers don't have a half-cock; that is old!
    I am an old guy with old guns (which happen to be in Excellent condition ... unlike their owner). I don't consider "half -cock" as a safety anyway.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson