Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default 'Top Gun', director dies after jumping from bridge..

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=751731

© Tony Scott / AP'Top Gun' director dies after jumping off bridge
    Aug. 20, 2012, 7:48 AM EST
    LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Tony Scott, director of such Hollywood hits as "Top Gun," "Days of Thunder" and "Beverly Hills Cop II," died Sunday after jumping from a Los Angeles County bridge, authorities said.

The 68-year-old Scott's death was being investigated as a suicide, Los Angeles County Coroner's Lt. Joe Bale said.

"I can confirm that Tony Scott has passed away. The family asks that their privacy is respected at this time," Scott's spokesman, Simon Halls, said in a statement.

Bing: Tony Scott's films

Several people called 911 around 12:35 p.m. to report that someone had jumped from the Vincent Thomas Bridge spanning San Pedro and Terminal Island in Los Angeles Harbor, according to Los Angeles police Lt. Tim Nordquist.

A dive team with Los Angeles Port Police pulled the body from the murky water several hours later, Nordquist said. Scott's body was taken to a dock in Wilmington and turned over to the county coroner's office.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just do not get it that these people with both fame and wealth do crazy shat like that. -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing.

Captain America

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=751731

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just do not get it that these people with both fame and wealth do crazy shat like that. -Tyr
    If he was a poor nobody would it make more sense to you?
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

He had apparently been diagnosed with brain cancer. He chose to end it his way.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    He had apparently been diagnosed with brain cancer. He chose to end it his way.
    Then good on him for existing this world the way he chose. I hope he is at peace now.
    "You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders – The most famous of which is “never get involved in a land war in Asia” – but only slightly less well-known is this: “Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line”! - Vizzini (The Princess Bride)
    http://mywinterstorm83.livejournal.com/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nell's Room View Post
    Then good on him for existing this world the way he chose. I hope he is at peace now.
    Don't you mean exiting?? For he no longer exists.--Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    If he was a poor nobody would it make more sense to you?
    Maybe it would. Most suicides are depressed people. With wealth and fame one has the money and the connections to get help. Now that we know that it was brain cancer I see it as his decision on how he wanted to go, long slow painful or quick? He chose quick and what time to go. Actually took great courage IMHO.. Many do not have that kind of courage..I certainly hope that I never have to find out myself...-Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Maybe it would. Most suicides are depressed people. With wealth and fame one has the money and the connections to get help. Now that we know that it was brain cancer I see it as his decision on how he wanted to go, long slow painful or quick? He chose quick and what time to go. Actually took great courage IMHO.. Many do not have that kind of courage..I certainly hope that I never have to find out myself...-Tyr
    Most suicides are depressed people..... one would assume that endin one's own life is not done absent some extreme duress, but I'd disagree on the courageousness of this man's action. On one hand, the brain cancer thing is certainly painful and perilous due to the whole, what makes a person alive, ie their consciousness, dying before the body thing. But to me, what makes an act courageous is the existence of peril or pain which can be lessened or avoided, but by doing so it would cause pain or peril upon another-- so you choose to suffer so that others do not. I can only assume the disease was untreatable, and that he chose to avoid the natural progression of the disease-- which was his decision and I accept that. But really, who did that help: himself or others? I'm thinking it was mostly himself; hence, not an act courage.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

IIRC, I read a few days after the incident that the brain cancer story was not true.
    Mama Jeffro: Jeeeeh-froooo! What's going on down there? What's that smell?
    Jeffro: Nothing ma! Me and Lorenzo are practicing our Turkish oil wrestling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    Most suicides are depressed people..... one would assume that endin one's own life is not done absent some extreme duress, but I'd disagree on the courageousness of this man's action. On one hand, the brain cancer thing is certainly painful and perilous due to the whole, what makes a person alive, ie their consciousness, dying before the body thing. But to me, what makes an act courageous is the existence of peril or pain which can be lessened or avoided, but by doing so it would cause pain or peril upon another-- so you choose to suffer so that others do not. I can only assume the disease was untreatable, and that he chose to avoid the natural progression of the disease-- which was his decision and I accept that. But really, who did that help: himself or others? I'm thinking it was mostly himself; hence, not an act courage.
    I know of a person that shot himself to avoid his family having to suffer thru a long and exspensive illness that lay ahead for him from his dying with cancer. The note he left behind only gave that reason and it was early on in the disease where pain was not a problem yet. I viewed that as true courage and thinking of others first. You may be right ,he may have jumped from the bridge to end it all to avoid pain for himself and had no consideration of others in mind at all. If thats the case I agree it was not courageous but was still a decision he had every right to make.-Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taft2012 View Post
    IIRC, I read a few days after the incident that the brain cancer story was not true.
    Really, is that now confirmed that the cancer story was false?