Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
Sixth grade is the beginning of middle school here. I forgot what a momentous change it is until I looked over some of the handouts that I have.
Middle school is when kids start going to classes instead of being taught by one teacher. You are also assigned a lunch period and are responsible for getting from one class to another.
One of the main things my daughters is looking forward to is the social activities, like clubs and organizations. My daughter's school has a band, an orchestra, athletic teams and cheerleaders. And (this being Huntington Beach) they have a surf team.

My daughter has told me she looks forward to 6th grade because "they will stop treating her like a kid."
No, we are not going to discuss boys yet. No we aren't.
Rest assure, middle school teachers are nurturing, at least they should be. For first 2-3 weeks, if something is left behind in locker, they'll either 'lend' a copy or give a pass to go to locker. It's NOT high school.

The teams thing is new, but your elementary schools didn't have band and orchestra? Choirs? Mine did and so did my kids, from 3rd grade. They were in same district I'd been in.