Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Default My daughter is anxious for school to start

I never minded going to school, but I enjoyed summer too much to want school to begin again. I always dreaded the first day of school.
    My daughter is basically bored with sitting around. She is anxious to begin 6th grade.
    I'm wondering where I went wrong here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Maybe she just wants to get away from your ever flowing hyperbole, Vitriol and Liberal Musings?
    You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing.

Captain America

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

C'mon now, this is the lounge, no need for animosity down here, and especially when talking about our children. Save it for the politics, please.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    I never minded going to school, but I enjoyed summer too much to want school to begin again. I always dreaded the first day of school.
    My daughter is basically bored with sitting around. She is anxious to begin 6th grade.
    Is it like it was for my son, 6th grade being the beginning of middle school? When it's the same school and same classes, they want summer to go on forever. But I think kids get more excited when they are going to go to a much larger school, new classes, new friends, new teachers. Be HAPPY that she is anxious, it's a hell of a lot better than a kid that is not interested in school!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Grade six, man. Time to rule the school. Unless it's like Jim said,
    'There's nothing gay about hell' - Patty Leotardo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

If it stays that way, you won't have to worry too much about her.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Said1 View Post
    Grade six, man. Time to rule the school. Unless it's like Jim said,
    Yeah, when I hit the 6th grade, we were the kings, it was kindergarten to 6th grade back then in NJ. Then we were peons again in 7th grade, and again in 9th, and weren't kings again until our senior years.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

When I went to 'jr. high' it was just 7th and 8th. The baby boom changed that the following couple of years. For 3 years they put 5th and 6th into the 'middle schools,' which certainly had more room to accommodate them than the elementary schools. After the 3rd year, they moved the 5th graders back to elementary-additions and another school had been built.

The high school however had major issues. Close to 5 thousand students, capacity was 1800. So, we had 8 shifts, starting at 6:15 in the morning, last one out at 5:00. Obviously for most periods the school was extremely overcrowded, dangerously so. I think it was there that I became claustrophobic. My class was the largest as a freshmen class, followed by two more 'record breaking freshmen classes.' While I regret all the things I did not learn, I ditched more than 1/2 of jr and sr. years. You try being 5'1" and trying to get out a doorway into a sea of giants! There were times I just was 'swept along' to an exit door.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Sixth grade is the beginning of middle school here. I forgot what a momentous change it is until I looked over some of the handouts that I have.
    Middle school is when kids start going to classes instead of being taught by one teacher. You are also assigned a lunch period and are responsible for getting from one class to another.
    One of the main things my daughters is looking forward to is the social activities, like clubs and organizations. My daughter's school has a band, an orchestra, athletic teams and cheerleaders. And (this being Huntington Beach) they have a surf team.

My daughter has told me she looks forward to 6th grade because "they will stop treating her like a kid."
    No, we are not going to discuss boys yet. No we aren't.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Sixth grade is the beginning of middle school here. I forgot what a momentous change it is until I looked over some of the handouts that I have.
    Middle school is when kids start going to classes instead of being taught by one teacher. You are also assigned a lunch period and are responsible for getting from one class to another.
    One of the main things my daughters is looking forward to is the social activities, like clubs and organizations. My daughter's school has a band, an orchestra, athletic teams and cheerleaders. And (this being Huntington Beach) they have a surf team.

My daughter has told me she looks forward to 6th grade because "they will stop treating her like a kid."
    You'll know boys are involved when you find her huddled under the covers texting with someone at 2 in the morning!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    You'll know boys are involved when you find her huddled under the covers texting with someone at 2 in the morning!
    BITE YOUR TONGUE!!

Actually, we have already gone through the texting thing. My daughter does have a flip phone. With no camera and a limit on texts. And I told her to never send or receive any text that she wouldn't want her dad or I to read.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Starting in the second grade or thereabouts - it might have even been first grade, I would just leave school and go home if the opportunity presented itself. Like if we were on recess and out on the playground? I would just go to the fence gate and walk out.

Fire drills, where they would have us all outside? See ya. Lunch in the cafeteria? Outta here.

This went on for years, I became known as a flight risk and the teachers and all really had to watch me. It really upset them greatly when I would disappear.

They once asked me why I would leave. "I dunno" is what I think I told them, but the truth was I could already read and write pretty well, having been taught at home. My parents had a massive bookshelf and books were always one of my passions. They would read to us often, and taught us the alphabet and how to read at a very early age.

Of course, on my escapes I knew better than to let my mom know I was home - I would sneak into the house and go to my room, with a book. Got in trouble alot for this stuff, and it didn't stop until they gave me a reason to want to be there - music class, then later, FOOTBALL!

It was right around then too, fourth or fifth grade, that the schoolwork level caught up to me and I began to find it challenging and interesting. So it all worked out.

But yeah, for the first few grades I was definitely one of those kids who detested the idea of going back to school....
    ‎'Is there anything wrong with anything.' Is that what you're asking, friendo?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Rest assure, middle school teachers are nurturing, at least they should be. For first 2-3 weeks, if something is left behind in locker, they'll either 'lend' a copy or give a pass to go to locker. It's NOT high school.

The teams thing is new, but your elementary schools didn't have band and orchestra? Choirs? Mine did and so did my kids, from 3rd grade. They were in same district I'd been in.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh View Post
    My parents had a massive bookshelf and books were always one of my passions. They would read to us often, and taught us the alphabet and how to read at a very early age......

^^^ I didnt start collecting books until I was 16 years old. Have been book collecting 42 years now. I too learned to read at 4 years old. In fourth grade I was reading and studying my older brothers books he was in 9th grade then.
    By 8th grade I was reading most my other brother's books he was a senior then.. My library is quite large but I'd like to collect a couple thousand more books. Too bad , its not a cheap hobby. Now with a young son I've had to cut back drasticly.. Even sold some of my guns recently for needed cash rather than sell my books! My older brothers called me crazy on that !
    My son loves school, gets up on his own at 6 every morning . He is in a hurry to get ready and go! At his age its just about all play-he is in kindergarten now.. -Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 08-21-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

My daughter has always loved books. And now "kids books." She reads about animals and various countries. She recently read a book on earthquakes.
    My sister in law in Minneapolis took my daughter to a place up there that measures reading comprehension and proficiency. I was shocked to find out that she reads on the 9th grade level.