Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    Assuming of course that they aren't actually acting under divine guidance. Under those circumstances, their actions would be moral, no?
    That is assuming of course that that God needed humans to murder for him. Thought that you were agnostic?
    The true God allowed his son to be murdered by man , a sacrifice to pay the price for man's soul , the gift offered as reward to Christ for that act was Salvation for man. That God has no need for men to kill in his name, rather onlyto live in his name. Man has need to kill for his own greed ,desires and vanity. I am not a big supporter of turn the other cheek myself. I have the weakness of desire for vengeance. I remember clearly the events of one day , 9/11. -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    That is assuming of course that that God needed humans to murder for him. Thought that you were agnostic?
    The true God allowed his son to be murdered by man , a sacrifice to pay the price for man's soul , the gift offered as reward to Christ for that act was Salvation for man. That God has no need for men to kill in his name, rather onlyto live in his name. Man has need to kill for his own greed ,desires and vanity. I am not a big supporter of turn the other cheek myself. I have the weakness of desire for vengeance. I remember clearly the events of one day , 9/11. -Tyr
    Why won't you answer my question?
    I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. -- Susan B. Anthony

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Why won't you answer my question?
    I already answered this , "what if question" asked by you.

You still don't get it. What if THEIR god and THEIR holy book IS the truth and they are indeed doing as GOD wants them to? IOW, what if YOU have it wrong?

Because "what if questions" like that bare no significant relation to the topic being discussed. One could imagine millions of "what if" questions.
    What if Michelle tried to divorce obama before the elections were held!?? SEE.
    The subject of this thread is Islam and its past, present and possible future actions , not Christianity, God or what if cows could fly?-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So let me get this straight. Your claim is that all muslims want to take over the world and will murder to accomplish that. Correct ?

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I already answered this , "what if question" asked by you.

Because "what if questions" like that bare no significant relation to the topic being discussed. One could imagine millions of "what if" questions.
    What if Michelle tried to divorce obama before the elections were held!?? SEE.
    The subject of this thread is Islam and its past, present and possible future actions , not Christianity, God or what if cows could fly?-Tyr
    And the question, which ABSOLUTELY is valid, is "if their god exists and sanctions their actions, are Muslims acting morally?" It's a simple question and you've yet to answer it.
    I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. -- Susan B. Anthony

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

And the question, which ABSOLUTELY is valid, is "if their god exists and sanctions their actions, are Muslims acting morally?" It's a simple question and you've yet to answer it.
    Ok, you keep repeating the question so I'll repeat my answer already given to you.

Originally Posted by Missileman
    Actually, I'm an equal opportunity non-believer...I think you're all full of shit. I would NEVER suggest that someone's actions can be justified because of their beliefs. I was asking YOU the question to see if you might grasp the hypocrisy of your position.
    I may be full of shit if a man may have no absolute in either his principles or his morality. From the subject were are discussing morality hits a bit closer to home. So I will address from that perspective if you do not mind. The way I see it you pose the question that how do I know they are wrong and I am right? As if putting forth this query should prove something, exactly what you think it proves I havent a clue. Unless you think it proves there are no absolutes. Would there being no absolutes prove my beliefs to be hypocrisy? My answer is a simple question , are you sure that there are no absoutes!?? Sorry, just couldnt help tossing that one in here.
    Can atheists justify any type of morality? Can water really be wet? Can monkees shine shoes?!!

In today's culture, the ideal of rejecting principled beliefs to be valid by presenting that there are no absolutes (which negates the entire concept of there being TRUTH) may be appealing to many and a defense against those taking a moral or highly principled stand! Yet, that fails to this old self evident truism. The truth, is the truth, is the TRUTH. Many people find this to be a VERY ENLIGHENING truism, they feel that there is something obvious and right about it and with just cause!

However, if you were to survey the latest philosophy journals, you would find no mention of absolute truths and no philosophers intent on demonstrating the existence or nonexistence of this apparent "species of truth". The reason for this is not a lack of interest, on the part of contemporary philosophers, in the issues that people have in mind when they proffer the refutation of principled beliefs with ‘there are no absolute truths’. Philosophers have many things to say about these issues. Rather, the reason why contemporary philosophers do not discuss "absolute truths" is that they find such talk to be the placing of circles into squares out of boredom IMHO!

The problem with the concept of "there are no absolute truths" is that it is a catchphrase under which several related but logically distinct ideas are collected. As such, whenever someone uses this concept it is unclear which (or which combination) of these logically distinct ideas they have in mind. Because of the lack of conceptual clarity in the notion absolute truth, contemporary philosophers prefer to avoid it and instead employ terms that capture with more precision the different ideas that people associate with absolute truth.

So can we jusify or prove these EXAMPLES (?),
    - Anything that we take to be true is revisable
    - We can never have a ‘god’s-eye’ view of the universe
    - All truths are a matter of opinion
    - Truth is relative (to culture, historical epoch, language, society etc.)
    - All the truths that we know are subjective truths (i.e. mind-dependent truths)
    - There is nothing more to truth than what we are willing to assert as true

Each of those examples have been discussed, at one point or another, in contemporary philosophy and each are held or denied with varying degrees of confidence. So my advice is, if every you are tempted to talk about absolute truths you should ask yourself which, if any, of the above ideas you have in mind.

All the those given, which are meant to express the negation of the existence of an absolute truth, does not actually refer to the existence of the absolute truth itself. Rather the expressions merely refer to the inability of humans to percieve or recognise absolute truths. I guess this has a lot to do with our semantic definition of what “truth” is though. Now I acknowledge that the concept of “truth” AS has been devised by humans is a very subjective phenomena. However, surely when we refer to “absolute truths” we are referring to the existence of objective facts, in other words, an “objective reality” that exists beyond the human mind.

We are not referring to a general consensus that all humans can agree upon to be true… Surely humans do not have to be aware of the existence of these absolute truths and objective facts in order for them to exist?
    “We can never have a ‘god’s-eye’ view of the universe”!!!

My problem with the examples given that express the belief that “there are no absolute truths”. They all refer to our inability to percieve or comprehend absolute truths. But our ignorance does not have anything to do with whether absolute truths actually exist. The truth, the true state of affairs, an objective reality could exist, without us being none the wiser. Or one may intuitively know it and act upon it without the need to prove it to anybody!

The existence of absolte truth does exist whether we know it or not, whether we admit it or not. For example: It is true that either that man killed his wife, or that he did not. One or the other. Whether we know whether that man is guilty or innocent, he is definately one or the other.
    The TRUTH is not dependent on our own personal, subjective opinions. If it were, everything we believe to be true, including whether that man was guilty or not, could be completely arbitrary!! In fact, if there was no “absolute truth”, or facts about the world, to correspond to our beliefs, then truth, absolute or relative, could not exist (according to the correspondance theory).

If you maintain that individual truth must a\lways be revisable, but does that really have any impact on the truth about truth? It seems to me, that the thesis for the argument that “there is no absolute truth” can not hold any weight at all.

Thus we have your "what if you are wrong" argument , its questioning of what is truth, and the "second guessing ourselves" taken down one of the many million of paths one can easily carry it...

If we were to talk about religious morality, I would say that relativism only has one place: it determining which things are okay outside of whatever determines one’s moral code. However, I am of the thought that there is only one correct moral code. Now I realize that there will be many that are within this school of thought that have different moral codes. This is a seemingly a paradox. However, the clear solution is that we must realize that when examined from a pure secularism view, our moral code might be the wrong one. So then debates must be done between the different moral codes to determine which one is the correct one. However, the idea of one person determining morality for themselves and another determining morality for themselves when the two moralities might disagree means that we have actually done away with morality and that we have just welcomed in every person being a walking moral code, which means that morality can never be determined. This means we could never say an action was actually immoral, because to the other person it could have been one of the most moral things they could have done!! This is chaos. Reality does not lend itself to this paradox being valid IMHO.
    I hereby certify my "absolute belief" that Islam is not right by the ONE TRUE GOD!
    Or as was cited before by my previous vote...--Tyr
    If you need another different answer, you'll have to ask a different question..-Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 09-16-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, you keep repeating the question so I'll repeat my answer already given to you.
    You still haven't answered my question. All the typing you're doing is a smokescreen for dodging it. Your answer should be either yes or no with an explanation of why if you choose to expound.

Are you afraid to answer it? I can certainly understand why you would be.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    So let me get this straight. Your claim is that all muslims want to take over the world and will murder to accomplish that. Correct ?
    Naw. I think I met a Muslim convenience store owner in Skowhegan, Maine that wouldn't do that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

bullshit repeated over and over is still bullshit.
    Your point that Islam is evil has been refuted over and over.Makes for good site traffic tho I guess.
    Missed this post. I hate that!
    Refuted by who, when , where and how? You just stated obviously your opinion on Islam representing it as a solid fact.
    How about some proof of that bullshat!!??--Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

bullshit repeated over and over is still bullshit.
    Your point that Islam is evil has been refuted over and over.Makes for good site traffic tho I guess.
    Missed this post. I hate that!
    Refuted by who, when , where and how? You just stated obviously your opinion on Islam representing it as a solid fact.
    How about some proof of that bullshat!!??--Tyr

Evil is a value judgement, so I will put it this way: The vast majority if not all the foreign perpetrators of terrorist attacks against Americans have been Muslim.
    Last edited by tailfins; 09-16-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

You still haven't answered my question. All the typing you're doing is a smokescreen for dodging it. Your answer should be either yes or no with an explanation of why if you choose to expound.

Are you afraid to answer it? I can certainly understand why you would be.
    So what? Are you demanding that I give a different answer to your "what if" question?

If so then consider this ;

-----------------"WHAT IF I CHOOSE NOT TO ANSWER A THIRD TIME"!!??
    -----------------"WHAT IF I JUST REPEAT MY PREVIOUS ANSWER"!!???
    -----------------"WHAT IF YOU ASK QUESTIONS RELEVANT TO THE TOPIC"!!??
    AND , "WHAT IF" A "WHAT IF" QUESTION BEGETS A "WHAT IF " ANSWER????--TYR

"What if" you cite proof of thier being right, of their murderous actions being justified and sanctioned by God, any God will do.
    This could be played on and on and on..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I have a 'what if' question to offer as well.

What if 'Missileman' is just here to troll ?
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    Naw. I think I met a Muslim convenience store owner in Skowhegan, Maine that wouldn't do that.
    You think he might be too busy running his store ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So what? Are you demanding that I give a different answer to your "what if" question?

If so then consider this ;

-----------------"WHAT IF I CHOOSE NOT TO ANSWER A THIRD TIME"!!??
    -----------------"WHAT IF I JUST REPEAT MY PREVIOUS ANSWER"!!???
    -----------------"WHAT IF YOU ASK QUESTIONS RELEVANT TO THE TOPIC"!!??
    AND , "WHAT IF" A "WHAT IF" QUESTION BEGETS A "WHAT IF " ANSWER????--TYR

"What if" you cite proof of thier being right, of their murderous actions being justified and sanctioned by God, any God will do.
    This could be played on and on and on..
    More dodging...you ARE afraid to answer the question.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Islam is not a single unit or belief system. It is practiced differently by different tribes, sects and countries. Treating it as one evil system is proof that you err in judgement.
    We've seen in just the past few days how willing Muslims are to attack others, and kill people, in response to a video they didn't like. Were/are those attacks limited just to one 'tribe' in Islam, or even one country ??

Now compare that to the Christian equivalent, and let's say that Muslims created a video, posted it on YouTube (.. and do you imagine they HAVEN'T ?) which Christians would regard as a great insult to Christianity. Tell me, what 'tribes' or 'sects' within Christianity would duplicate the evil you've seen played out in these recent days ??

Would Anglicans ? Baptists ? Methodists ? Lutherans ? Presbyterians ? Catholics ? ANYONE ?

Dilloduck, Muslims have behaved as they have because Islam encourages it .. this is obvious. You see no evidence of any such equivalent in Christianity, however.
    Last edited by Drummond; 09-16-2012 at 01:49 PM.