Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Retired since 1998? This would make you close to 80, right? Tell us about the government entitlements that you live on now.
    I suspect what he gets back from Social Security doesn't even amount to a refund of what he has paid in. FICA stands for Federal Insurance Contribution Act. If only those whom you support politically hadn't raided his retirement to pay people "depressed about being unemployed". You're retired too. You were retired since the first day on the job if you define retired as getting paid for no work.
    Last edited by tailfins; 09-24-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

The return on Social Security from someone who retired in 1998 and lives to the average age of death is near zero percent. If you could take what GovCo forced you to contribute and had put that in stable investments over you working lifetime, you could retire at 2 to 3 times your working income without ever touching the principle, and after you die your family gets to fight over the couple of million that you had socked away. Under the Social Security system once you die the shit is gone. Maybe this is another purpose of ObamaCare death panels, to reduce social security payments.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I do wonder if younger tax payers understand SSI up to this point? I'll use my family as an example, the numbers are conjecture, but illustrative.

My dad's brother became a priest around 1930. My dad was born in 1920, my mom in 1922. When my uncle became a priest he was 28, with a Phd in theology. He was our Dr. uncle, just kidding. Truly smart, would go onto remake the viability of Catholic school education for many decades.

SSI for him became available in 1970 something, until that point, he paid in 0 dollars. From that point on, he paid in, until he retired around 1980. Ten years. From the time the clergy was included, due to investments, he'd paid max amounts, like he was 'rich' or something. He never earned more than $22k per year. However, one must remember that the expenses of clergy are negligible. No housing or food costs. No insurance costs. No limit on gifts, though taxes need to be paid.

By 1990 he retired and split his time between FL property he owned and 'clergy retirement home' in IL. He wasn't high maintenance, but was comfortable wherever he was. When he died his estate was over $1m. Some had been sheltered, probably the biggest windfall was being included in SSI at so late a date. From the time that happened, he no longer needed to allocate his planned savings to anything other than investments. With the Chairman of 7-UP bottling being one of his 'financial advisers' he was able to amass a considerable estate.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

So basically, Kate, you proved my point, that a guy living close to the poverty line (priests basically take a vow of poverty) can easily amass a portfolio of $1 million. And he only started a full time job when he was 28, not the 18 that a kid that never went to college would typically start at.

And at investments returning a meager 4-5%, that's $40 to $50k per year in interest alone, or twice the highest amount that he ever made while working.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    So basically, Kate, you proved my point, that a guy living close to the poverty line (priests basically take a vow of poverty) can easily amass a portfolio of $1 million. And he only started a full time job when he was 28, not the 18 that a kid that never went to college would typically start at.

And at investments returning a meager 4-5%, that's $40 to $50k per year in interest alone, or twice the highest amount that he ever made while working.
    No vow of poverty, wasn't that type of order. Anything but. He was able to take gifts from individuals and groups. While the first 30 years of his service were to poor/struggling parishes and schools, his last 20 was to one of the richest parishes in country, which is why his estate was where it was. Mind you, that doesn't mean the parish/school was without challenges. Anything but. The school was a hot bed of parents pushing their kids to Ivyies, no holds barred. They had the legacies and dollars to fight and did.

Yes, even when their children couldn't or didn't want to compete on that level.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Retired since 1998? This would make you close to 80, right? Tell us about the government entitlements that you live on now.

GABBY. LEARN HOW TO READ first. I DID NOT SAY I RETIRED IN 1998. I said I haven't worked since 1998. Big difference.

You might like to take another shot at simple math as well. I spent 30 years in the Navy, and retired in 1995.
    I was 17 when I first joined the Navy in 1964.

Take your shoes off, use your fingers. And learn to READ, or Comprehend before speaking like an idiot. idiotstupid.jpg
    Last edited by aboutime; 09-24-2012 at 09:12 PM.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    GABBY. LEARN HOW TO READ first. I DID NOT SAY I RETIRED IN 1998. I said I haven't worked since 1998. Big difference.

You might like to take another shot at simple math as well. I spent 30 years in the Navy, and retired in 1995.

Take your shoes off, use your fingers. And learn to READ, or Comprehend before speaking like an idiot. idiotstupid.jpg
    FINALLY!!! Somebody on this board older than I am! I feel like a youngster now.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Most people retire around the age of 65. Which is where I based my figures.
    You retired at the age of 48. Which makes you well below the normal retirement age.
    And what are living on now? A government pension? That is an entitlement.
    The definition of retired is "having left one's job and ceased to work."
    If you aren't working, you are retired.

Thanks for proving that you are uneducated.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

No, his employer is paying for his retirement after an previously agreed contract of 30 years service. Don't hate on his service.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    Gabs why do you insist bring hate into every discussion?
    Liberal Tactic # 2,301

If you cant contribute politely...Derail all conversation by Trolling...
    You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing.

Captain America

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Most people retire around the age of 65. Which is where I based my figures.
    You retired at the age of 48. Which makes you well below the normal retirement age.
    And what are living on now? A government pension? That is an entitlement.

gabby. That's okay. We all understand, and know very well. You can't help being educationally, and mentally challenged at the same time.
    If you need to call a Military, Government Pension...which I earned for 30 years of service, an entitlement...according to you. Fine.

So tell me. How many people who have never worked at a steady job, who are now on welfare...earned a Pension for Being Unemployed?

Not a difficult question. So maybe you'd like to explain.

Not that you would understand but. This thing called a contract between Veterans, and the U.S. Government is rather common.

If you give 20, 30, or more years of Active duty...as agreed to on that contract. You earn a Pension for the 20, 30 or more years.

Steel workers, Police Officers, Firefighters, Bus Drivers, Computer Programmers and all kinds of American professions work toward a Pension.

Something YOU insist is an Entitlement. So tell us. What will you call your retirement from STUPID SCHOOL when you grow up?
    So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Since you haven't left your job, but ceased to work, does that make you SEMI-RETIRED?

Like "graduates" from California schools that cannot read their diploma?

gabby .... So tell us. What will you call your retirement from STUPID SCHOOL when you grow up?
    I think it's called CALPERS.
    Last edited by tailfins; 09-28-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    Since you haven't left your job, but ceased to work, does that make you SEMI-RETIRED?

Like "graduates" from California schools that cannot read their diploma?

I think it's called CALPERS.

Gotta love it when the only thing gabby can come up with is "Thanks for proving you are uneducated". Which is a remarkable feat, considering only Gabby would say such a thing to hide her own lack of Education.
    So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Intolerant liberals!
    i had a funny interaction on Facebook some months ago.
    we had a mutual friend, a liberal, he posted some political claptrap from Obama, I challenged the claim.
    his pal entered into a rant about how I should know what's good for me.
    as usual he ended with the usual liberal threats to kill my child( he should have been aborted because republicans shouldn't be allowed to have kids) and to rape my wife.
    he couldn't be convinced that he had comitted a crime, he believed that the law allowed such threats so long as they are directed at republicans.

oddly enough I'm not a republican!!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

I had an irl friend who blocked me on Facebook because I 'mock god too much'.
    Pft Christians, so intolerant.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.