Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Bond at 50

50 years ago today Dr No was released and Sean Connery became a super star

[QUOTE][

It's 50 years since the first James Bond film, Dr. No, hit the theaters in Britain. Fifty years since the James Bond film franchise began in earnest. An immediate hit in the UK, it took longer to catch on in the US, where it appeared in May 1963, rather un-ostentatiously released in theaters in Middle America before hitting the coasts. Movies often rolled out much more slowly in these days.

That's only one of the ways in which Dr. No is a veritable cinematic time capsule from the Mad Men days of the early 1960s.

It wasn't until the second Bond film, From Russia With Love -- which received a big boost when President John F. Kennedy listed the Ian Fleming novel as one of his 10 favorite books of all-time -- that the Bond film phenomenon got underway in earnest in the US and around the world. And it wasn't until the third film, Goldfinger, that it became the blockbuster series that we know it as today.

But Dr. No is the film that started it all. Incidentally, you can see my articles related to the 50th anniversary of the franchise here in The Bond 50 Archive.

It's often forgotten that that notorious womanizer James Bond (not nearly such a hound in his last three incarnations) had a girlfriend in the first two Bond films. Played by Eunice Gayson, who was also playing the baroness in the long-running London production of the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical The Sound of Music at the time, the very first "Bond Girl," Sylvia Trench, is the smart brunette playing baccarat across the table when we first meet Bond in the movies. Saying he admires her courage in betting, Bond asks her name; she gives it to him and notes: "I admire your luck, Mr. ...?"

"Bond," he replies, lighting his cigarette, "James Bond."

Now there's one of the more enduring catch phrases in cinema. He would be back.

<center><iframe height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/myoVLMnKw2M" frameBorder="0" width="420" allowfullscreen=""></iframe></center>
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/willia...b_1940883.html

/QUOTE]

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Great memories.

Funny you should bring this up, and I thank you red states rule, for doing so.

I missed seeing DR NO back then. But, the very first James Bond movie I saw was GOLDFINGER. And I remember where I was, and even the year, which reminded me how much I enjoyed all of those movies.

It was 1966. I, and several other fellow sailors went to the BASE THEATER on the Norfolk Naval Base, in Norfolk Virginia to see GOLDFINGER. Mostly....to see that beautiful woman, painted in Gold.

Back then. If they had ratings. It would have been at least an "R".

Oddly enough. Anyone who investigates, or researches our Military, and the former NASA space programs will find. Most all of the idea's presented by IAN FLEMMING in those movies....have come to be actual, and real.

Remember, way back when, when DICK TRACY had a Television, Telephone Watch???
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Funny you should bring this up, and I thank you red states rule, for doing so.

I missed seeing DR NO back then. But, the very first James Bond movie I saw was GOLDFINGER. And I remember where I was, and even the year, which reminded me how much I enjoyed all of those movies.

It was 1966. I, and several other fellow sailors went to the BASE THEATER on the Norfolk Naval Base, in Norfolk Virginia to see GOLDFINGER. Mostly....to see that beautiful woman, painted in Gold.

Back then. If they had ratings. It would have been at least an "R".

Oddly enough. Anyone who investigates, or researches our Military, and the former NASA space programs will find. Most all of the idea's presented by IAN FLEMMING in those movies....have come to be actual, and real.

Remember, way back when, when DICK TRACY had a Television, Telephone Watch???
    I loved the Bond movies up until recently. Sean Connery was PERFECT. Roger Moore was good (Sean was a hard act to follow) and Pierce Brosnan was damn good

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan