Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    I'm not sure, i don't think the words quiet describe the concept, but that's probably more a failure of language.

Like, there is a difference in saying 'There is a paradise, and I deserve it' and 'I don't think there is a hell'. If there is a hell i may well deserve it, idk, its up to whatever and however it is judged. It would be conceited for me to say 'I don't think there is a hell, but if there is, i don't deserve to go to it.'

So in summery - being an atheist doesn't mean you're not conceited about rewards/punishment in an afterlife. I guess.
    to me, it seems that atheists are arguing...."I'm good enough to deserve paradise whether or not I accept or reject what your claimed deity requires....if he isn't willing to accept MY standards he isn't much of a deity".......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post

No, i don't think you're right. Twisting the words of the Bible is much worse.
    /shrugs....what if that makes you the false prophet?....after all, the Bible also says that anyone who believes in Him is not condemned (John 3:18).......are you going to add "and doesn't go to a Mormon church"?......
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 10-18-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    ...full immersion.....

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    to me, it seems that atheists are arguing...."I'm good enough to deserve paradise whether or not I accept or reject what your claimed deity requires....if he isn't willing to accept MY standards he isn't much of a deity".......
    Lolol, okay, i don't know what atheists you know, but apparently they're idiots.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    I'm alittle confused by some of your comments. How can you be a Mormon unaware of the First vision, or any of the other appearances of the Father and the Son? How do you not know about the First 116 pages of the Book of Mormon which were stolen?
    I am well aware of the first vision. That was by Moroni. I apologize to anybody that thinks I know of a time that Joseph was visited by the Father and Son.

I have not heard till yesterday of 116 pages being stolen.

I was baptized and hold the priesthood is how I can be a Mormon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    PostmodernProphet. I was under the impression that Atheists didn't believe in Paradise.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1829. Roughly 200 years ago.
    "Glass looking" (whatever that is) and less then legal business practices screwing over other farmers, putting them out of home.

Now, do his crimes matter today? No. Does it matter if you're going to devote yourself to what he says? yeah. I'd like to know that the guy who started my religion wasn't some guy who most likely was trying to make bank.

I'm not saying that Mormons are a bunch of con artist crooks. I'm not even saying they're bad people. I'm just saying that there's no way the religion is still part of Christianity after all the changes. Besides, if we're going to say that all you need is Jesus to be christian, we're gonna have to start saying Muslims are Christian too.

Now, i'm not going to get into the slave thing, as i think it's wrong. But you have to remember that not all slave owners were terrible people. The vast majority treated their slaves very nicely, cause they didn't breed quickly, and were expensive as hell.
    Enough of libeling my church with such talk.

We believe this. Jesus is the son of God and infact is a God as is Adam and Eve and many others. God has absolutely awesome power. I can't explain how much power he has since it compares to no other power in this vast universe. I don't know if Jesus can make stars, but God did. I surmise that since Jesus is God's son, he has the same sort of power.

I spent time to quote you the last pasages of the Book of Mormon and damned this forum, I suddenly found that I was turned back into a guest and the goblins had eliminated my prose.

I am going to resort to composing such things on Word then I will have my own record to post.

In that prose, I pointed out that Joseph being a youth was hardly a person trying to make bank as you claim.

My church has this "bad habit" of not paying our clergy. Unlike many if not most other churches, our leaders don't get rich doing this job. Bishops all over the world devote a full day to a job for pay, then taking time that otherwise might be family time, they devote to helping others of our faith. Do you know that even with the wealth of our church, the Missionaries are family funded? If you want to get rich as a church leader, try some other church.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alright, this is what i've been trying to say. I'm not an English major, so bear with me.

The title of the thread is "Requirements to be a Christian", correct?

1. Accept Jesus as your savior.
    2. Follow the Bible (not the book of Mormon, the Bible.)
    3. Accept that God is an Omnipotent being. (not a man of flesh and blood)
    4. God created the universe. (again, not too preexisting matter and put it together)
    5. Want to do good deeds, not have to.

I'm simply arguing that Mormonism is not Christianity.
    1. We do.
    2. We do. Clearly you do not comprehend what the Book of Mormon actually is and I doubt you understand what the so called Bible is. Much of the OT and NT is pure history. Though not cross verified very well against other histories, it remains as much history and in this you should glean a lot that is useful to manage your way to the good area of the afterlife.
    3. We do. When we speak of God as much like a man, it is because of what was said in the OT and NT. For instance in the easily accepted common Bible you learn that God created man in his own image.
    4. Precisely what we LDS believe.
    5. Clearly in the Book of Mormon you can learn that we do in fact believe that accepting Christ who shed his blood for us and accepting in full faith GOD, why you get the benefits you speak of in shallow terms.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alright, took a bit to read through the bible.

Sorry. Is as much as I can say.

Ran into this verse...

Romans 14
    Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters.2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them.4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. 8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to lifeso that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.
    10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister[a]? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11 It is written:
    “‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
    ‘every knee will bow before me;
    every tongue will acknowledge God.’”[b]

12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.
    13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. 14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. 15 If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval.
    19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.
    22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves.23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.
    (in a nut shell if you don't want to read that, don't worry about differing views, we'll find out when we're dead.)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Alright, took a bit to read through the bible.

Sorry. Is as much as I can say.

Ran into this verse...

Romans 14

(in a nut shell if you don't want to read that, don't worry about differing views, we'll find out when we're dead.)

WHAT is your intent in all of this cadet? What do you think you are accomplishing? Why are you so angry, when all you needed to do is tell the rest of us, whom....by the way, have no problem admitting we are Christians too! That you have a hatred for Romney, and most of that hatred is directed his way because...He is a Mormon. And you have a large HARD-ON for Romney because he isn't afraid to use the same words You, and I use as Christians.

Why cadet? Why?
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    WHAT is your intent in all of this cadet? What do you think you are accomplishing? Why are you so angry, when all you needed to do is tell the rest of us, whom....by the way, have no problem admitting we are Christians too! That you have a hatred for Romney, and most of that hatred is directed his way because...He is a Mormon. And you have a large HARD-ON for Romney because he isn't afraid to use the same words You, and I use as Christians.

Why cadet? Why?
    I wasn't going to jump into this, but you are going to far.

Cadet has already voted.....for Romney. He doesn't hate anyone, he disagrees with the Mormon religion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What Cadet believes or does not believe is not of my concern.

I will state my beliefs and he can do the same.

I think we all would be raving mad to not question all of our own beliefs. Cadet seems to not wish to question his own beliefs and in my opinion that is his fatal flaw.

He already thinks he knows all he needs to know about my Church. I doubt he has so much as attended our services to try to learn what really happens. He would enter humble services not arrogant ones.

Most of the Christian world says quite smugly that each word in the two testaments is totally accurate. This causes them to get their tits in the wringer when it comes to science.

If they accept the two testaments as 100 percent accurate, they then claim the Earth can't be over 7,000 years old and that in their belief system each animal and plant was created about 7,000 years ago and of course this makes science laugh.

We Mormons accept the Bible as it is ACCURATELY TRANSLATED.

When I used to attend Church, and I admit that it was as a Teen, I did not learn each of our doctrines. DC as quoted by a poster showed me something new today. The part about Kirtland and that Jesus appeared to Joseph Smith. I don't know why, but I either forgot that or never heard of it.

My science background sides with evolution.

I really prefer to speak of Abiogenesis though and not evolution. Abiogenesis is the start of life. Why mess around with evolution when the greater mystery is the beginning of all life forms?

Evolution is seen in your own family. Naturally you don't all look the same or people would get very confused and wonder which of the males was John and which was Ralph and so forth.

We look different. Thsi itself shows evolution in operation. The son is not the spitting image of the father. Thus the changes are evolution. As t0 claims you started out as a bacterium and now you are human, that part is very tough for me to swallow. Some end that argument by the old human and chimp argument. They may not realize that the full message of Darwinism is you came from bacteria. They would be the earliest known life form or perhaps a plant was first. Bacteria has left a vast record. We can test for it's beginnings.

I believe that the Bible is loaded with stories. That the men who authored those stories thought as men of those eras thought. They could not even imagine what a TV or cell phone would be like. They did not think in modern man terms. We have to account for that major problem. Nor can we very well think in Moses terms. We sure have a tough time with Adam's terms. To simply use the Bible as if all it says can be verified in the scientific method is in my view the wrong thing to do.

Thus you must extract the true nuggets of the Bible.

Can anybody prove that God did not create life? Not so far. Can I prove he did it?

Well, I don't believe in magic so if somebody ever looks around and finds somebody creating life, I have to go to what makes most sense. Common sense does not tell me that life just was an accident and it created itself. Life has a special quality to it. Some life, human life, thinks. I tend to doubt your dog is concerned one bit with the Bible nor evolution.

Not all life is equal.

Anyway, we can further develop this as it warrants.

If some of you get confused, forgive me. I know my thought process. What I understand just might confuse you and again, I am sorry. It's my fault that you may not understand. I take the blame.
    Last edited by Robert A Whit; 10-18-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    What Cadet believes or does not believe is not of my concern.

I will state my beliefs and he can do the same.

I think we all would be raving mad to not question all of our own beliefs. Cadet seems to not wish to question his own beliefs and in my opinion that is his fatal flaw.

He already thinks he knows all he needs to know about my Church. I doubt he has so much as attended our services to try to learn what really happens. He would enter humble services not arrogant ones.

Most of the Christian world says quite smugly that each word in the two testaments is totally accurate. This causes them to get their tits in the wringer when it comes to science.

If they accept the two testaments as 100 percent accurate, they then claim the Earth can't be over 7,000 years old and that in their belief system each animal and plant was created about 7,000 years ago and of course this makes science laugh.

We Mormons accept the Bible as it is ACCURATELY TRANSLATED.

When I used to attend Church, and I admit that it was as a Teen, I did not learn each of our doctrines. DC as quoted by a poster showed me something new today. The part about Kirtland and that Jesus appeared to Joseph Smith. I don't know why, but I either forgot that or never heard of it.

My science background sides with evolution.

I really prefer to speak of Abiogenesis though and not evolution. Abiogenesis is the start of life. Why mess around with evolution when the greater mystery is the beginning of all life forms?

Evolution is seen in your own family. Naturally you don't all look the same or people would get very confused and wonder which of the males was John and which was Ralph and so forth.

We look different. Thsi itself shows evolution in operation. The son is not the spitting image of the father. Thus the changes are evolution. As t0 claims you started out as a bacterium and now you are human, that part is very tough for me to swallow. Some end that argument by the old human and chimp argument. They may not realize that the full message of Darwinism is you came from bacteria. They would be the earliest known life form or perhaps a plant was first. Bacteria has left a vast record. We can test for it's beginnings.

I believe that the Bible is loaded with stories. That the men who authored those stories thought as men of those eras thought. They could not even imagine what a TV or cell phone would be like. They did not think in modern man terms. We have to account for that major problem. Nor can we very well think in Moses terms. We sure have a tough time with Adam's terms. To simply use the Bible as if all it says can be verified in the scientific method is in my view the wrong thing to do.

Thus you must extract the true nuggets of the Bible.

Can anybody prove that God did not create life? Not so far. Can I prove he did it?

Well, I don't believe in magic so if somebody ever looks around and finds somebody creating life, I have to go to what makes most sense. Common sense does not tell me that life just was an accident and it created itself. Life has a special quality to it. Some life, human life, thinks. I tend to doubt your dog is concerned one bit with the Bible nor evolution.

Not all life is equal.

Anyway, we can further develop this as it warrants.

If some of you get confused, forgive me. I know my thought process. What I understand just might confuse you and again, I am sorry. It's my fault that you may not understand. I take the blame.
    Umm did you miss post 188.. i believe he may have found something that made him think about what he was posting... I think through your years you would agree that a lot of times things in print do not come across in the same manner as spoken, inflection and question are not as easily conveyed.. Just my observation..
    Last edited by Nukeman; 10-18-2012 at 07:21 PM.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Instead of looking for individual problems, I believe we should acknowledge that that which binds us together as Christians is far greater than that which sets us apart from one another. There are enough forces, both of this world and not of it, attacking us, that we don't need to turn on each other.
    I conquor with this sentiment. I hope we can all work together and be brethren.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    Umm did you miss post 188.. i believe he may have found something that made him think about what he was posting... I think through your years you would agree that a lot of times things in print do not come across in the same manner as spoken, inflection and question are not as easily conveyed.. Just my observation..
    I shall check 188.

I agree entirely with your final point. I hope you award me with the same tolerance that you awarded the other person.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Noir already said it for me.
    If that was his goal, he failed miserably, dying broke, murdered because of his faith doesn't seem like a good way to make money.

Joseph's words and actions also betray theory of his motivations. He tried running a shop once. Failed at it miserably because he kept giving away his goods to those in need. That doesn't sound like someone motivated to make money.

Heck, the scriptures that were revealed to him even said he would not be successful making wealth and that it wasnt his calling to make money.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard