Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    Romans 3:23
    That would be the bible, saying people, all people, are 'sick', yes?
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    And what about your average, non-raping, non-alcholholic, non-murdering human. Are they sick too?
    Yes, Noir. Many, and I would wager, most of us, are sick at heart. And all sin and fall short of the glory of God. Christians too. Maybe Christians especially, since we know better.

And you conveniently left off your list all of the more common human failings I listed in my post.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Yes, Noir. Many, and I would wager, most of us, are sick at heart. And all sin and fall short of the glory of God. Christians too. Maybe Christians especially, since we know better.

And you conveniently left off your list all of the more common human failings I listed in my post.
    Greed and lust et al don't make you sick, unless you take them to excess, for example, excessive lust (which would result in rape etc). If you regard lust as a sickness then everyone who is strongly attracted to their partner is sick for doing so =/

I guess its just a fundemetal difference in perspective, you see most people has being sick at heart, i don't. And i think that religions do their bit to make us feel like we are all sick at heart.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

This is my point.
    People who are religious are made to feel that humans are weak, sick etc, and only through god can be strong, healthy etc.

The above part I quoted shows this perfectly. If you see me as weak because i don't believe in a god, that is because of the impression you have of humans by the belief in god that you have.
    Christians are not weak, sick or oppressed. Just forgiven in the eyes of God.

The ONLY requirement to be a Christian is to confess your sins and give your life to God.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Greed and lust et al don't make you sick, unless you take them to excess, for example, excessive lust (which would result in rape etc). If you regard lust as a sickness then everyone who is strongly attracted to their partner is sick for doing so =/

I guess its just a fundemetal difference in perspective, you see most people has being sick at heart, i don't. And i think that religions do their bit to make us feel like we are all sick at heart.
    Greed and lust by definition are excessive failings.

Noir, you need to see with your inner being, your heart, your soul, not your intellect. And it is not to say that people are always this way. We all stumble.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    This had me wondering yesterday, as some seem to think there are very strict requirements to be a Christian and gain entry into heaven. I think this picture tells the story best.
    That's a popular misconception. A pastor once taught that it's as simple as "ABC"...

Accept Christ as your Lord and Savior
    Believe Christ is the Son of God and came to die for your sins
    Confess your sins

there... you are saved....

Not by works, but by Grace
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

If you define sickness as being closer to death ....

Romans 6:23

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kinda hammers home much of what i find off putting about religions, making people think they are weak, wicked, and sick.
    Only weaker, more wicked and sicker than an omnipotent God. Christians are merely acknowledging their mortality.

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

You say our religion does a certain thing, insulting what I posted and my faith, but "I" am the condescending one?
    Just answer him with pure scripture:

Isaiah 55:11

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
    Last edited by tailfins; 10-11-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Give him this..

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
    John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 14:6 Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by me.
    Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God to salvation to every one that believes; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
    Romans 3:9 What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;
    Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 10:9 That if you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in your heart that God has raised him from the dead, you shall be saved.
    2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
    Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    Ephesians 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 10-11-2012 at 07:41 PM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Confessing one's sins is not enough. We need to repent and turn away from our sins. Confession is just the First (and often hardest) step in that.

This thread raises an interesting question that I've been pondering lately. What does it mean to be a disciple of Jesus Christ?
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This had me wondering yesterday, as some seem to think there are very strict requirements to be a Christian and gain entry into heaven. I think this picture tells the story best.

I like that. Whoever wrote it is probably one of those decent Christians, who doesn't judge and treats everyone as equals.
    "You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders – The most famous of which is “never get involved in a land war in Asia” – but only slightly less well-known is this: “Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line”! - Vizzini (The Princess Bride)
    http://mywinterstorm83.livejournal.com/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Requirements to be a Christian:

1. Believe in Christ and his message.
    2. Keep doing number 1
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    Confessing one's sins is not enough. We need to repent and turn away from our sins. Confession is just the First (and often hardest) step in that.

This thread raises an interesting question that I've been pondering lately. What does it mean to be a disciple of Jesus Christ?
    I think you bring up a good point. One has to confess not only with their mouth, but with their heart and soul, too. That's difficult, because every day you are going to fail at being the perfect non sinful person (which is actually impossible) and every day, you get a chance to try again. Christianity requires that you change your ways, no doubt about it. I think that's why it's not very popular in some circles.
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMarx View Post
    I think you bring up a good point. One has to confess not only with their mouth, but with their heart and soul, too. That's difficult, because every day you are going to fail at being the perfect non sinful person (which is actually impossible) and every day, you get a chance to try again. Christianity requires that you change your ways, no doubt about it. I think that's why it's not very popular in some circles.
    It requires that you not only profess Jesus Christ as your Saviour but that you attempt to lead a Christian life with full knowledge that by your faith are you saved thru Christ not by an of your deeds no matter how good and noble they are. For Salvation is a gift from God by way of the sacrifice of God's son Jesus. In essence, Jesus's love and sacrifice saved all of mankind. There is no forcing of acceptance of the gift. It must be a voluntary act and repentance of your sins is necessary part. After that a Christian is covered by the blood of Christ! Not perfect in flesh here and now but instead perfect in Christ..-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.