Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I hope we can avoid making this thread political/divisive.
    All hurricanes are politically devisive!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    People are worried what this storm will do to their property - can you please STFU if you cannot stay on topic?

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

I Blame Bush!!
    Always causing hurricanes that Bush Is!!
    007. Please remember that on topics like this. Children are still expected to be seen, and not heard.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

That's the last comment about politics, this thread isn't even in the political section of the board. If you can't participate properly and respectfully here, then go away.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Please say a prayer for us. The hurricane is on a pretty direct path to our house, and we live right below woods with lots of very big trees.
    You got it, Abs! Seems a bunch of us are in a similar boat. Here's a photo I found on the latest, and we're dead center in the severe zone, being just north of NYC. We have about a 100ft tree hovering over my driveway, and truck... but birds shit on my truck all the time and leaves are forever covering it. I hope it falls AND takes out my truck! I can finally get rid of that tree and get me a newer truck!

Seriously though, everyone in the area will be in my thoughts and hopefully our power lines and houses will hold up! I filled up with gas, got the flashlights and candles ready, got plenty of canned food ready and emptied our basement, minus the hot water heater and HVAC unit that we lose both of every time!

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Actually, a lot of big trees will help reduce the wind. Only dead or weak branches will break. The thing to worry about most is the loss of power which could last for a long time. That's what you need to be prepared for the most. Some storm damage like shingles and such can be expected, along with flooding unless it turns into a snow storm.

Good luck to you all. I'll be keeping tabs on the news starting Monday. Expect we will get the far edge of it here in Ohio but nothing close to what you all will get.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Actually, a lot of big trees will help reduce the wind. Only dead or weak branches will break. The thing to worry about most is the loss of power which could last for a long time. That's what you need to be prepared for the most. Some storm damage like shingles and such can be expected, along with flooding unless it turns into a snow storm.

Good luck to you all. I'll be keeping tabs on the news starting Monday. Expect we will get the far edge of it here in Ohio but nothing close to what you all will get.

We are feeling the early gusts that last ten or so minutes, then calm down while it rains...THOSE CATS and DOGS everybody talks about.

We are high enough that many of our streets flood at high tide, or during surges. While others nearest the beach require canoe's or Jet Ski's. It's normal for heavy rain to make roads impassable here. Part of living near the beach.

Stay safe everyone. Listen to the news...and do what they tell you to do.
    So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I hope these kinds of stories are inaccurate. I've read about the storm that hit the NY area in 1938, but it's just something you imagine what it was like and can't imagine it happening again. Hopefully it wont.

Meteorologist: Storm Could Be Bigger Than Worst East Coast Storm On Record That Killed 800

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/...at-killed-800/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I hope these kinds of stories are inaccurate. I've read about the storm that hit the NY area in 1938, but it's just something you imagine what it was like and can't imagine it happening again. Hopefully it wont.

Meteorologist: Storm Could Be Bigger Than Worst East Coast Storm On Record That Killed 800

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/...at-killed-800/
    jimnyc: It doesn't have to be that dangerous IF...people pay attention, and don't blow it off as just another SCARE.

We see it almost every year. People have been conditioned to prepare, obey the warnings, and suddenly. The storm doesn't do what the predictions called for. So naturally. People become Complacent, and tend to ignore the dangers...even to the point of having an excuse to HAVE A PARTY, called Hurricane Parties....where past records show...The highest number of Storm Related deaths occur.
    So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

our weather forecast: Freeport, ny 11520

* winds... Northeast increasing to 30 to 40 mph with gusts 50 to 60 mph monday morning... Becoming east 40 to 55 mph with gusts 70 to 80 mph monday afternoon and evening... Then becoming southeast 35 to 45 mph with gusts 50 to 60 mph late monday night into tuesday.

.. High surf advisory in effect from 7 pm sunday to 6 pm edt tuesday... ... Coastal flood warning in effect from 6 am monday to 3 pm edt tuesday...
    the national weather service in upton has issued a coastal flood warning... Which is in effect from 6 am monday to 3 pm edt tuesday. A high surf advisory has also been issued. This high surf advisory is in effect from 7 pm sunday to 6 pm edt tuesday.
    * locations... Coastlines of long island sound... The southern and eastern shores of long island... Portions of new york harbor... And tidal portions of the hudson and connecticut rivers.
    * tidal departures... 1 to 1 1/2 ft above astronomical tides sunday night... 2 to 4 ft above astronomical tides monday morning... And potential for 4 to 8 ft surge monday night into tuesday morning.
    * high surf and beach erosion... Breaking waves are expected to build to 15 to 20 ft along ocean facing shorelines by late monday into monday night. At the same time... 5 to 8 ft waves are possible along exposed eastern and northeastern facing portions of long island sound... Peconic bay... And new york harbor. This is expected to cause major beach erosion and localized washovers.
    You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing.

Captain America

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    My prayer is that you get in your car and drive in the other direction from the hurricane.

Nothing you do can stop the storm but your good sense can be that you bail out.

I pray you are safe.

I agree. Make sure the insurance is replacement value and paid up. Then evacuate. Come to Chicago Abbey, we'll do the museums for a couple days!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    What is in your favor is that Oak trees are a hardwood. Unless one happens to be rotted and about to fall, those low speed winds ought not to damage any branches. 40 mph winds may not be fun but at least they are not in the 80 -100 scope and at those ultra speeds, bad things happen.
    Coming from Chicago, winds under 65 mph don't bother me much. We tend to watch our trees carefully, if they are dead, they are gone! We have winds over 50 mph a couple times, most months. We also have lots of hardwoods, oaks, elms, maples, etc. If they aren't healthy? The fall somewhere and are heard.

However, if winds get over 70mph, another story. All depends on the soil at that point, even for healthy trees. Hurricanes, like tornadoes do not care about healthy and sick.

IMO, if there is a possibility of being at the center or close to center of storm, take what is valuable and evacuate. I'm so glad my parents did so when the worst hit. I'll admit that they had the wherewithal, but when it looked like they 'might be' hit, they'd head for Atlanta from Vero. When the reports said they might take the brunt of it, they headed to Chicago. They had someone check after the storm, if 'bad' they'd stay here and get repairs done there. If they were lucky, they'd head home when ready.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I am praying for all of you .... and hope everyone has flood insurance.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Generators

Generators that can be hooked up to your home are available. We don't get those kind of storms yet a pal of mine installed a Generator to power his home up the street in the event something like an earthquake took out his power. His wife needed electric for her medical condition.

He had somebody install it and by flipping the switch and starting the generator, he had power.

Just a thought.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A high wind warning has been issued for my area

HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM NOON MONDAY TO 8 PM EDT TUESDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS ISSUED A HIGH WIND WARNING... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON MONDAY TO 8 PM EDT TUESDAY. THE HIGH WIND WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* TIMING... WIND GUSTS OVER 45 MPH ARE EXPECTED TO OVERSPREAD THE AREA AFTER NOON MONDAY. WIND GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH ARE EXPECTED MONDAY EVENING INTO TUESDAY... PARTICULARLY ALONG THE RIDGES.

* IMPACTS... A PROLONGED 24-TO-36 HOUR HIGH WIND EVENT WILL TAKE PLACE ACROSS THE WARNING AREA. COUPLED WITH HEAVY RAINS FROM SANDY... THE HIGH WINDS WILL LEAD TO SIGNIFICANT TREE DAMAGE. RESIDENTS... VISITORS... AND BUSINESSES ACROSS THE REGION SHOULD PLAN FOR WIDESPREAD POWER AND COMMUNICATION OUTAGES

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan