Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Right now we have furniture up on cinderblocks. And I am no help as I just had me right carpal tunnel done yesterday so big honking bandage on my arm. Here's hoping we all get through fine
    WiccanLiberal

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The rain started here about 30 min ago and a flood watch has been issued

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WiccanLiberal View Post
    Right now we have furniture up on cinderblocks. And I am no help as I just had me right carpal tunnel done yesterday so big honking bandage on my arm. Here's hoping we all get through fine
    WiccanLiberal
    Take care - you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    Abbey

If your max winds are no more than 40 mph, you should do fine. Can you get somebody up in those trees to study the branches to see if a weaker one might be cut off now and gently lowered to the ground?

Might not be a good time to do that.....reminds me of my husband and son-in-law up on the roof together making emergency repairs while a hurricane whirled in, getting darker and darker.

Abbey, good luck to you!

We're in the projected path, too, but you are closer to the eye of the hurricane itself, I think.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Hi - just adding my best wishes to everyone threatened by this hurricane. I shall say prayers myself for your safety.

At least you have one good advantage .. ample warning of what may come your way. That must be worth its 'weight in gold' ..

We in the UK rarely know storms like that, though we had a couple some years ago that came close to being hurricanes. The one we did have, which DID reach hurricane speed, was the Great Storm of 1987 (15th October). It was memorable for the idiot assurance we had from a certain Michael Fish, a weatherman who went on air (yes, on the BBC) to assure us all we were not going to face a hurricane .. and just hours later, that's exactly what we had .. !!!

But my best to you all - stay safe. And please, 007, can you stifle all the nonsense ?
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mundame View Post
    Might not be a good time to do that.....reminds me of my husband and son-in-law up on the roof together making emergency repairs while a hurricane whirled in, getting darker and darker.

Abbey, good luck to you!

We're in the projected path, too, but you are closer to the eye of the hurricane itself, I think.
    The last track I saw on a local station has it coming directly over where we live just after it hits the Jersey shore.

I just packed up some of my most treasured pictures, etc., in a plastic bin, and I packed a bag of clothing and other essentials. Just in case. But my hope is that I just get to complain about unpacking it all and putting it away Wednesday.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Hang in there folks. Be prepared to bail if necessary, and be prepared to be with out electricity for a few days, it's not too late to pick up a generator...

We were spared here in SC, this time...

They say that hurricanes are the most destructive force of nature on the planet. Having gone through a couple while living in Texas, I believe it.

I'll be thinking about you all (Not a praying man), and hope you all stay safe.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

What Wiccan Liberal just told me is very disturbing.... My boss told her he saw a few guys in a truck casing houses on our block and taking pictures of them... when confronted they got in a truck and drove off...

If there is any looting they should be aware that I WILL FIRE ON THEM and deal with the ramifications later..

Sad that I had to Lock and load but this is what happens.... I just didnt imagine it was going to be this soon...
    You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing.

Captain America

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Hang in there folks. Be prepared to bail if necessary, and be prepared to be with out electricity for a few days, it's not too late to pick up a generator...

I fear it is much too late to get a generator.

YESTERDAY my husband talked to a local man who went to get a generator at Home Depot -----

They were sold out of all 52 that they had.

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Our weather is warm. This past week, the SF Bay area got some rain but in my part of the South Bay, the rain was very light. I was out in short sleeves yesterday taking care of my car and it was pretty warm. Sweat was running into my eyes. I just checked outdoors and it is just right. I plan to take a long walk. Not a cloud in the sky.

I wish some of you had bought generators when you got word of the storm headed your way. The worst thing is to not have power and lose food because of no electricity. Shows us how much we depend on the utility service. I suppose that also means phone service may be out or very spotty.

Some of you probably can't post once this storm hits. A Generator would have fixed all that for you. I think I would hurry up and order one online since you can have one shipped to you. Or be prepared to go back to the days of candles.

Sorry so many on this forum will get hit. A prayer by all of us might help you get by.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    Our weather is warm. This past week, the SF Bay area got some rain but in my part of the South Bay, the rain was very light. I was out in short sleeves yesterday taking care of my car and it was pretty warm. Sweat was running into my eyes. I just checked outdoors and it is just right. I plan to take a long walk. Not a cloud in the sky.

I wish some of you had bought generators when you got word of the storm headed your way. The worst thing is to not have power and lose food because of no electricity. Shows us how much we depend on the utility service. I suppose that also means phone service may be out or very spotty.

Some of you probably can't post once this storm hits. A Generator would have fixed all that for you. I think I would hurry up and order one online since you can have one shipped to you. Or be prepared to go back to the days of candles.

Sorry so many on this forum will get hit. A prayer by all of us might help you get by.
    I doubt that they can find a generator today, even driving for hours. 2 days ago, Amazon had made it clear they would get generators through, priority. Too late now.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

We just got a call from the school district that classes are canceled for the next 2 days. My wife's office is closed for tomorrow at least, and she wouldn't be able to get into work anyway as ALL mass transit in and around NYC has been canceled as of 7pm this evening.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I doubt that they can find a generator today, even driving for hours. 2 days ago, Amazon had made it clear they would get generators through, priority. Too late now.
    That is unfortunate. It seems to me that if one heads west, they might locate one. I figured that on the internet, orders can still be filled.

Saving food in your refrigerator and freezer seems to me to be good sense. Trying harder to get a generator would be priority one it seems and should have been 3 days back. This storm has moved very slowly. I have NEVER been in a hurricane but we have on rare occassion got some winds over 40 mph. I think on the Golden Gate Bridge winds over 70 mph have been recorded. I think they closed the bridge a couple of times. I am over the mountains from the ocean and fortunately am in an area that you might think of as an eddy. Usually the highest winds are around San Francisco and we are in a kind of protected pocket.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    People are worried what this storm will do to their property - can you please STFU if you cannot stay on topic?
    It's called humor, gets people through the tough times!!
    calm down, it'd a hurricane, you can't control it so accept it!!
    all the prayers on earth will make no odds, you would be as well wrapping yourself in Saran Wrap for safety as you would be praying.
    I hope my plane isn't delayed!!
    I'm just off to call the pope!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    It's called humor, gets people through the tough times!!
    calm down, it'd a hurricane, you can't control it so accept it!!
    all the prayers on earth will make no odds, you would be as well wrapping yourself in Saran Wrap for safety as you would be praying.
    I hope my plane isn't delayed!!
    I'm just off to call the pope!!
    People's homes and possibly lives are concerned in this thread. You won't be participating in it anymore.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock