Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Engineering fail!

I noticed my dad's car, an '04 Chrysler Concorde, had a headlamp out. Being the good son I am I volunteered to swap it out for him. Little did I realize that the HID lamp assembly fits in there so perfectly. How perfectly you ask...it requires the removal of the front bumper cover to remove the whole assembly in order to access the bulb. With that type of engineering I should be thankful it doesn't have square wheels.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    I noticed my dad's car, an '04 Chrysler Concorde, had a headlamp out. Being the good son I am I volunteered to swap it out for him. Little did I realize that the HID lamp assembly fits in there so perfectly. How perfectly you ask...it requires the removal of the front bumper cover to remove the whole assembly in order to access the bulb. With that type of engineering I should be thankful it doesn't have square wheels.
    So, is the bumper sitting next to the car? LOL
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    So, is the bumper sitting next to the car? LOL
    Still prying fasteners. What a pain in the ass. I'm changing both lamps. Temped to run down to the parts store and buy high same and turn lamps too. I sure don't want to do this again anytime soon, if ever.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Still prying fasteners. What a pain in the ass. I'm changing both lamps. Temped to run down to the parts store and buy high same and turn lamps too. I sure don't want to do this again anytime soon, if ever.
    I remember the good old days, open the hood, take out like 6 screws and remove the lamp and a socket, pop a new one in, tighten the screws and job done in less than 10 minutes! They probably do this so that you can return to the dealerships and pay $3-500 for swapping lamps!!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I remember the good old days, open the hood, take out like 6 screws and remove the lamp and a socket, pop a new one in, tighten the screws and job done in less than 10 minutes! They probably do this so that you can return to the dealerships and pay $3-500 for swapping lamps!!
    Gotta stay in business. A lot of stuff designed is either made to break, (like an air conditioner, it literally has a magnet that slowly falls off breaking the connection causing you to hire a professional) or is made to have so many replacing items that you may as well buy a new one each time. Learned about this while job shadowing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

See, they need an upgrade path. They have to be able to keep making money off you after the initial purchase.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post

Gotta stay in business. A lot of stuff designed is either made to break, (like an air conditioner, it literally has a magnet that slowly falls off breaking the connection causing you to hire a professional) or is made to have so many replacing items that you may as well buy a new one each time. Learned about this while job shadowing.
    This is an obvious failing in capitalist business structure. Building something that lasts, damages the company that builds it.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I remember a car back in the seventies, you had to pull the engine to replace spark plugs.....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I remember a car back in the seventies, you had to pull the engine to replace spark plugs.....

Anyone remember when WE could personally perform a TUNE-UP, and change the Oil ourselves?

Today. There is NO such thing as a Tune-up. Everything under the hood is controlled by computer chips, and Electronic Diagnosis machines that nearly require thousands of dollars worth of equipment...in a shop, being used by a trained Expert in STEALING MONEY LEGALLY.

Yes. They need to stay in business. But they won't get my business.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default My caddy

I can replace my light bulbs in my caddy in 10 minutes.

I changed oil for the first time recently and it took me maybe 20 minutes tops and included changing the oil filter. Prior to this, I had always taken it in for service.

Prior to Obama, I got oil changes including the oil and filter at Wal Mart for about $23 taxes included.

I had planned to have them change oil the last time but purchased oil for about $14 and saved a lot since Wal Mart had raised the price to about $50. Thanks Obama for making sure CA won't drill for our own oil.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Never owned a Mopar and likely never will. Thanks for confirming my bias.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    I can replace my light bulbs in my caddy in 10 minutes.

I changed oil for the first time recently and it took me maybe 20 minutes tops and included changing the oil filter. Prior to this, I had always taken it in for service.

Prior to Obama, I got oil changes including the oil and filter at Wal Mart for about $23 taxes included.

I had planned to have them change oil the last time but purchased oil for about $14 and saved a lot since Wal Mart had raised the price to about $50. Thanks Obama for making sure CA won't drill for our own oil.
    Maybe IN THIS CASE Walmart is the problem.

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Pep boys closed here

Pep Boys closed here. Still, just to use that coupon, I have no plans to have them drain my brand new oil or install an inferior oil finter just to claim I saved money.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I noticed a bit of fogging up on one of my tail lights and figured it was time to replace the lense.

Well, Caddy informed me the system is one unit.

What does that unit cost I asked.

About $450 as I remember.

I still have a tail light that has some bit of fog in bad weather. It does not cut down on the light to the rear so as long as it costs that much, I plan to leave it alone.

Front head lights are about $500. Fortunately bulbs are cheap and are easily changed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

All that work and its an electric short. Curses mopar. CURSES!!!!!!!