Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Robert A Whit
    Have you had her car checked by a BMW technician? The Hawk did not have a turbo. It had a belt driven supercharger. Maybe a call to a BMW service guy could see if she should live with it or have it looked at.
    Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    She doesn't need a service guy to tell her she can live with it.
    I see.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    really? Buildings fall under civil engineering...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_engineering

Marcus. Actually. Technically, and Honestly speaking. EVERYTHING created by man, invented, built, designed, and used began with a plan of some kind. And...an engineer had a vital role in making just about everything Human beings used today, become reality.
    All of those photo's you submitted here would not have been possible. Nor would this INTERNET mode of communications be possible without an Engineer.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks like Glockmail did a great job explaining the so called failures. Either the so called failures are photo shop presentations or done on purpose for some effect and so forth, but he is correct that the leaning tower of pizza was a mistake since at the time they had not perfected all they needed to properly engineer a foundation.

More modern errors can be such examples as the bridge in Washington state where high wends caused it to fall.

Even today, we in the SF Bay Area know all about the failed brand new bolts that snapped on the yet not open to the public Bay Bridge.

They did not properly test the bolts prior to installing them. I believe we were told the bolts were made in China. CA should have tested them first. There is no way short of destroying part of the bridge that they can put in new bolts. The engineers are trying to solve it and not change bolts.

But I prefer changing a lamp in a car to solving the problem at the SF Oakland Bay Bridge.

Examiner article

Bay Bridge bolt fix narrowed to two options—more answers coming in two weeks

By: Will Reisman | 04/24/13 9:14 PM
    SF Examiner Staff Writer

Mike Koozmin/S.F. Examiner File Photo
    Dozens of cracked steel rods were found on a section of the Bay Bridge’s new eastern span, prompting seismic safety concerns.

Transportation officials said Wednesday that it is still too early to determine if a batch of broken bolts on the new Bay Bridge eastern span will prevent the planned Labor Day opening, since major answers about the repairs are still two weeks away.
    In March, inspectors discovered more than 30 broken steel rods — which bolt the bridge’s deck to its tower piers for seismic safety — on the new eastern span. Originally, officials said the problem would not interfere with the planned opening of the span, but they backed off that assertion earlier this month.
    Bridge officials are still considering two potential fixes for the broken bolts, who will be on the hook to pay for the needed repairs, and whether another batch of bolts made by the same manufacturer need to be removed, too.

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2013...#ixzz2RVLN5DZ3
    Last edited by Robert A Whit; 04-25-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it would appear that some people have no sense of humor. Not overly surprising.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I too have noticed and I suppose others have also noticed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I was once referred to as a 'Petroleum Dispensing Engineer'
    The term is routinely abused. In my state, and probably many others, it is illegal to call yourself an engineer unless you are licensed by the state engineering board.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

really? Buildings fall under civil engineering...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_engineering
    Yes, as well as roads, bridges, pipelines, dams, etc. But an architect is charged with the basic design of a building: overall dimensions, use of space, finishes, aesthetics, placement of exits, heights of fixtures, types and intensity of lighting, windows and doors, thermal and moisture protection, etc. He then hands the design over to the engineers who work on their specialties: structural, mechanical, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, etc.

A civil engineer has no requisite training in building design.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

The architectural failures that you showed are indeed funny. Engineering failures, however, are rarely funny, since they usually result in death and destruction:

http://listverse.com/2007/12/04/top-...ing-disasters/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

The term is routinely abused. In my state, and probably many others, it is illegal to call yourself an engineer unless you are licensed by the state engineering board.
    I don't think anyone is going to turn in a $6 an hour gas station worker for using the term! (nor do I think anyone ever believed it as an "engineer" anyway)
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Anyone remember how Married, Stay-at-home Mom's used to call themselves....'DOMESTIC ENGINEERS'?

Tell them they need a license and enjoy sleeping on the couch, and all of your meals end up in the Dog's Bowl...if you are lucky !
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !