Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fast Food workers demand higher wages

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/2021661...r-higher-wages

So, a bunch of McDonald's workers walked out on the job and are demanding an increase in pay to $15/hour and the right to unionize.
    I can't even begin to comprehend the minds of these individuals. They actually believe they have a right to be paid a "living wage" for a no skill, entry level job that I did when I was 15. The local McDonald's where I grew up even hired a mentally handicapped student from my High School and that guy became a shift manager for Gods sake. This is a job that a trained chimpanzee could accomplish for the price of a few bananas.

My question to these people is how did you so epically fail in your life that the sum of all your life's experience, knowledge, and wisdom amounted to nothing more than the ability to flip a burger. Really, I don't see how any responsible adult would end up this way. It seems to me that it would take a great deal of effort to fail so miserably.
    Effort that could have been better spent on a more productive career pursuit.
    I won't even bother with the effect this would have on McDondald's ability to stay in business. Even my 8 year old understands that concept.

On a side note:
    Think of all the challenges this country has faced and the achievemnets it has made in its short history.
    It is an impressive resume worthy of placing us in the company of human history's greatest nations.
    Surely we will face even greater challenges in the future and if it is people like this who will be there to meet those challenges, we will surely fail.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderknuckles View Post
    http://www.myfoxny.com/story/2021661...r-higher-wages

So, a bunch of McDonald's workers walked out on the job and are demanding an increase in pay to $15/hour and the right to unionize.
    I can't even begin to comprehend the minds of these individuals. They actually believe they have a right to be paid a "living wage" for a no skill, entry level job that I did when I was 15. The local McDonald's where I grew up even hired a mentally handicapped student from my High School and that guy became a shift manager for Gods sake. This is a job that a trained chimpanzee could accomplish for the price of a few bananas.

My question to these people is how did you so epically fail in your life that the sum of all your life's experience, knowledge, and wisdom amounted to nothing more than the ability to flip a burger. Really, I don't see how any responsible adult would end up this way. It seems to me that it would take a great deal of effort to fail so miserably.
    Effort that could have been better spent on a more productive career pursuit.
    I won't even bother with the effect this would have on McDondald's ability to stay in business. Even my 8 year old understands that concept.

On a side note:
    Think of all the challenges this country has faced and the achievemnets it has made in its short history.
    It is an impressive resume worthy of placing us in the company of human history's greatest nations.
    Surely we will face even greater challenges in the future and if it is people like this who will be there to meet those challenges, we will surely fail.
    these is the same minds that think raising the minimum wage will effect them a raise
    Christian Democrat has become an oxymoron

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Trader Joe's and Costco give living wages and benefits. Looks like those companies are doing pretty well.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    Trader Joe's and Costco give living wages and benefits. Looks like those companies are doing pretty well.
    The military provides a living wage and benefits, too!

How about folks UNHAPPY with their pay find another job? Simple.

When everyone makes $50/hr, those BigMacs will cost $36 each. So - throwing money at unskilled, the base, the entry-level of the workforce will only make everything more expensive for everyone.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

when you me and them are paying thirty to forty bucks for a burger they will net nothing, Common Sense

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    The military provides a living wage and benefits, too!

How about folks UNHAPPY with their pay find another job? Simple.

When everyone makes $50/hr, those BigMacs will cost $36 each. So - throwing money at unskilled, the base, the entry-level of the workforce will only make everything more expensive for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larrymc View Post
    when you me and them are paying thirty to forty bucks for a burger they will net nothing, Common Sense
    Sure the dollar menu might go away, but gimmie a break. These companies are rolling in the dough. Do you have any actual statistical backing for your hyperboles or is it just another hot air rant? Whether or not you agree with giving them a pay raise, people have the right to organize and strike/protest. It's done all the time in big business and sports. Pay me more money or I leave. Sometimes they are let go. Fine. That is how the system works. Don't hate the system. Why would you just leave your job if there was a chance to get more money?
    Last edited by pete311; 11-30-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Sure the dollar menu might go away, but gimmie a break. These companies are rolling in the dough. Do you have any actual statistical backing for your hyperboles or is it just another hot air rant? Whether or not you agree with giving them a pay raise, people have the right to organize and strike/protest. It's done all the time in big business and sports. Pay me more money or I leave. Sometimes they are let go. Fine. That is how the system works. Don't hate the system. Why would you just leave your job if there was a chance to get more money?

You said it - if they dont like their pay, they should leave. I support people unionizing. I think its stupid because it destroys businesses. But yeah - as long as they can be fired at ANY time, and they are NOT forced to join the union as a condition of employment. More power to them.

But - look, Pete. They should be let go if they aren't loyal to their employer. If they aren't or cannot be loyal to the company paying them a wage commensurate with what they offer the business in return, they should find new work.

Do you REALLY need me to somehow PROVE a very very common-sense idea: When everyone has more money, everything costs more?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

why would anyone in that position unless they are educated enough to move up think there going to get more, while staying in the same job, i mean are they so ignorant that they don't know that's a bottom rung job

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

You said it - if they dont like their pay, they should leave.
    Why would they leave? No different than you going to your boss and saying, I think I'm worth this, pay it, or I leave.

But - look, Pete. They should be let go if they aren't loyal to their employer. If they aren't or cannot be loyal to the company paying them a wage commensurate with what they offer the business in return, they should find new work.
    This really is the debate question. How much are they worth. I don't know exactly and I be delighted if you could figure it out. $8 seems low. Yes they are flipping burgers and punching buttons, but I would make $20/hr mowing lawns. The skill set isn't much more complicated, if anything working a cash machine is more difficult than pushing a lawn mower. As i said before, both Trader Joe's and CostCo give their stockers and checkout ppl benefits and a living wage. They are successful companies.

Do you REALLY need me to somehow PROVE a very very common-sense idea: When everyone has more money, everything costs more?
    Sounds like a vote for higher taxes. We don't want to get too much money. Will make all prices go up. Good thing the gov is there to save us from collecting too much money.
    Last edited by pete311; 11-30-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

How many of us? The present members here. While growing up. Ever heard any of our friends, or even strangers in school, or college classes say "Someday. I want to be a MacDonalds Flipper, and French Fries Dipper!" ?

And. Other than the MacDonalds...so-called college for Franchisee's. Is anyone aware of ANY Institute, College, University, or school building ANYWHERE in this entire nation that awards "DEGREE'S" for Flippers, and Dippers?

Not once in my entire life of 65 years have I ever heard anyone's child, or grandchild say
    "Someday. I will succeed with Burgers, and Milk Shakes!"
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

$15/hr in NYC is like $2.50/hr in Florida or other low cost area. Before Obama wrecked the economy, $12/hr was possible in fast food in some urban locations. McDonald's pays the wage they seek ($15/hr) in Williston, ND.

http://money.msn.com/investing/unemp...kota-cnbc.aspx

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    How many of us? The present members here. While growing up. Ever heard any of our friends, or even strangers in school, or college classes say "Someday. I want to be a MacDonalds Flipper, and French Fries Dipper!"
    What difference does that make?

Some of you bitch and moan about gov assistance, aka food stamps and then bitch about workers wanting fair pay which would allow them to get off gov assistance. Either mcdonalds pays their workers living wage or you got a shit ton of ppl getting food stamps. which is it?
    Last edited by pete311; 11-30-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

What difference does that make?

Some of you bitch and moan about gov assistance, aka food stamps and then bitch about workers wanting fair pay which would allow them to get off gov assistance. Either mcdonalds pays their workers living wage or you got a shit ton of ppl getting food stamps. which is it?

Pete. Let's just imagine for a second. You are suddenly out of work after being laid-off from your 15 dollar per hour job in whatever profession you claim.
    And then. At your lunch hour. You stop at a MacDonalds for a quick burger, drink and fries and a High School student who works there after school...is making exactly the same amount as you.

THAT'S A DIFFERENCE YOU HAVE TO DECIDE.
    So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Pete. Let's just imagine for a second. You are suddenly out of work after being laid-off from your 15 dollar per hour job in whatever profession you claim.
    And then. At your lunch hour. You stop at a MacDonalds for a quick burger, drink and fries and a High School student who works there after school...is making exactly the same amount as you.

THAT'S A DIFFERENCE YOU HAVE TO DECIDE.
    The problem with your example is that $15/hr for any job is still likely unskilled. $28k/yr is still a joke.
    Last edited by pete311; 11-30-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

The problem with your example is that $15/hr for any job is still likely unskilled. $28k/yr is still a joke.

If you say so. Now. Since you totally ignored responding to my question about you, lunch, and a teenager making the same as you (as an example). You told me the PROBLEM with my example, and sounded more liberally like Obama. Dodging a question.

Would you kindly just answer my question instead of telling me MY PROBLEM...according to you?
    So, this is for them.