Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Police to stop anybody and everybody for just walking even..

http://beforeitsnews.com/economy/201...3-2472032.html

(Before It's News)
    by Michael Allen, Opposing Views:
    At a town hall meeting, last Thursday, Mayor Mike Gaskill and Police Chief Todd Stovall endorsed a plan to send police in SWAT gear and carrying AR-15s into downtown Paragould, Arkansas starting in 2013, reports the Paragould Daily Press.
    Chief Stovall told the Paragould Daily Press: “This fear is what’s given us the reason to do this. Once I have stats and people saying they’re scared, we can do this. It allows us to do what we’re fixing to do. If you’re out walking, we’re going to stop you, ask why you’re out walking, check for your ID.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    These officials are crazy. Completely unconstitutional what they plan on doing. Its not a joke its a real policy they plan on implementing. Haven't checked yet but I bet the mayor is a dem!
    Out walking your dog, police will stop you demand your ID and ask why you are walking down the street!-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

let's give them the benefit of the doubt... for now anyway.

http://christiannews.net/2012/12/19/...dentification/

In response to concerns from residents, the Paragould Police Department issued a statement to further explain the reasons for its actions.

“Once an area has been identified as a high crime neighborhood, the select group of officers will saturate the area in an attempt to curb the criminal behavior that is plaguing that particular neighborhood,” it explained. “Officers will accomplish this in a variety of different methods. Officers will be working to identify residents in the affected area so that we can better serve our affected neighborhoods. Most often, this identification process will be nothing more than making contact with a subject, handing them a business card, and asking if they live in the area and if there’s anything we can do for them.”

“During hours in which crime seems to be more prevalent (i.e. between the hours of 11pm and 5 am), our process will become more stringent. We will be asking for picture identification,” the department continued. “We will be ascertaining where the subject lives and what they are doing in the area. We will be keeping a record of those we contact.”

Police also responded to citizen concerns by stating that it believes that the new crimes unit will be staying within the bounds of the Constitution.

“Many citizens, through various media outlets, have expressed a concern about the police ‘violating rights’ or ‘violating the Constitution.’ We have to abide by the same rules, regulations and laws that our citizens do. We are not out to violate anyone’s rights,” the department stated. “Once we have an area that shows a high crime rate or a high call volume, it is our duty and obligation to find out why this is occurring and what we can do to prevent the trend from continuing. Therefore, identifying subjects in those problem areas help us to solve crimes, and hopefully to prevent future crimes.”

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sounds like a republican plan to curtail crime in high crime areas, that will soon be taken over by dems in jackboots.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Sounds like a republican plan to curtail crime in high crime areas, that will soon be taken over by dems in jackboots.
    Which is exactly why the Constitution is the standard. Save us from 'unintended consequences.'

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    That it would be taken over and enlarged is my fear . Also it looks too much like citizens will be treated as if guilty with no evidence ! I've dealt with belligerent and Nazi like cops a few times, officers acting as if they own you. How about when the entire city gets labelled a high crime area?
    Looks to me that this easily could be an early start on a jackboot program.
    I think it will be challenged in court myself. Police in SWAT gear with military weapons walking the streets day and night isnt exactly the America that I've known all my life. I do not live there but have been there many times just not recently. When I see a redflag it is usually proven later to be a valid warning.. Time will tell on this but increased power , is still power and power has a tendency to corrupt.

Something seems fishy about this story. I'd like to find out if this is funded by some new federal program!
    If it is then I will know where its heading and it will not be good..-Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 12-21-2012 at 09:23 AM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    That it would be taken over and enlarged is my fear . Also it looks too much like citizens will be treated as if guilty with no evidence ! I've dealt with belligerent and Nazi like cops a few times, officers acting as if they own you. How about when the entire city gets labelled a high crime area?
    Looks to me that this easily could be an early start on a jackboot program.
    I think it will be challenged in court myself. Police in SWAT gear with military weapons walking the streets day and night isnt exactly the America that I've known all my life. I do not live there but have been there many times just not recently. When I see a redflag it is usually proven later to be a valid warning.. Time will tell on this but increased power , is still power and power has a tendency to corrupt.

Something seems fishy about this story. I'd like to find out if this is funded by some new federal program!
    If it is then I will know where its heading and it will not be good..-Tyr
    The whole idea is whacked and unconstitutional. The police do not have the power to stop any and all in a certain area, unless it's a crime scene. They cannot define a 'crime scene' as where one may be probable to happen.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    The whole idea is whacked and unconstitutional. The police do not have the power to stop any and all in a certain area, unless it's a crime scene. They cannot define a 'crime scene' as where one may be probable to happen.
    Exactly my premise, they can not say we are not treating you like you are guilty while they stop you and treat you like you are guilty of a crime. This rips way at our basic freedoms even at first glance that can be seen. I understand the police needing better results at stopping crime but this comes at too high a cost for the citizens because it certainly states the police can stop, detain you for questioning for having committed no offense at all. Probable cause be damned! If the funding for this comes from a federal source (follow the money) I'll know how bad it is and where its headed right away.. This has great potential to be abused all to hell! -Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 12-21-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Exactly my premise, they can not say we are not treating you like you are guilty while they stop you and treat you like you are guilty of a crime. This rips way at our basic freedoms even at first glance that can be seen. I understand the police needing better results at stopping crime but this comes at too high a cost for the citizens because it certainly states the police can stop, detain you for questioning for having committed no offense at all. Probable cause be damned! If the funding for this comes from a federal source (follow the money) I'll know how bad it is and where its headed right away.. This has great potential to be abused all to hell! -Tyr
    If it's been reported, as it obviously has been, then ACLU or some other group will take this to court immediately. It will not go forward, it's blatantly unconstitutional.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

We've seen what can happen when a neighborhood watch tries to patrol an area. As bad as this seems, I'd guess I'd rather this to taking guns away from citizens. Ehh, they're both scary.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    We've seen what can happen when a neighborhood watch tries to patrol an area. As bad as this seems, I'd guess I'd rather this to taking guns away from citizens. Ehh, they're both scary.
    Neighborhood watches work well throughout the country. This has nothing to do with gun control, it's a use of 'fear' to justify quasi military version of Marshall law. It will not stand.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

If it's been reported, as it obviously has been, then ACLU or some other group will take this to court immediately. It will not go forward, it's blatantly unconstitutional.
    One of the scary parts is that we have people thinking this is Constitutional and that is not a great attack upon our freedoms! Just because its a smaller city doesn't change the nature of it and give it justification to be tried. I've seen what bad cops can do firsthand myself and that wasn't even with having this kind of authority! Even if the intentions are good the most likely results are not IMHO.
    I hope that its confronted in court by some other group because I despise the ACLU myself.--Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Neighborhood watches work well throughout the country. This has nothing to do with gun control, it's a use of 'fear' to justify quasi military version of Marshall law. It will not stand.
    It does, in that it is easily posited an alternative to protecting ourselves.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

^^^^^ DEAD ON ACCURATE !!!!!-Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    It does, in that it is easily posited an alternative to protecting ourselves.
    No more so than if I convince you that things are 'so bad' we need to kill people, to save the from the horrors to come. We're 'saints' sent to save others from disasters to come.

The premise is wrong.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

No more so than if I convince you that things are 'so bad' we need to kill people, to save the from the horrors to come. We're 'saints' sent to save others from disasters to come.

The premise is wrong.
    I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying it's what is or will be said to justify it. And a gullible society might just buy into it.

-Abbey