Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Can we get a reboot?

I was hoping to again address the overall tone of the board if I could. Things seem a little mean, and a little nasty as of late. And yep, as usual, I've been in the thick of it. I've tried to make amends with those I have offended and am trying to be a little more pleasant to post with, that's really all I can do, and learn from it.

I was hoping we can all pitch in, and try and be a little more pleasant when we post, and especially so with those we disagree with, or might even dislike. Hell, you may even consider other members as your sworn enemies. But let's face it, making the place unpleasant won't do any good except to perhaps scare off members or have less participating in certain threads. You can still dislike or even hate someone without posting with toxic words and evil overtones.

Like I've told countless people over the years - instead of beating someone with personal attacks, beat them with spirited debate and knowledge, and facts. It feels much better to outwit someone than it does to out curse them or use meaner terminology.

And why am I bringing this up? It's various reasons, and the first starts with me. I know I've been a jerk to a few people over the past few months. I don't want to be "that" person. Not liking me because of my politics and views I can deal with, but I don't want people not liking me because I went off the handle and said things that were improper or out of line.

People have been posting less, and I know a small handful have come to me to speak about the tone. Hell, a handful spoke to ME about MY tone! And those people were right to do so. This is a community and we all SHARE the place. We all have freedom of speech to say what we please, but we don't always have to use that freedom to make others feel uncomfortable or unwanted around here. I believe we are all here to share thoughts, views, debate, discuss & have a tiny little place on the internet where even though we all have our differences, we all call the place home.

I might be wrong to judge others way of posting when I am an offender myself. But being a jerk at times doesn't make me blind. If I can recognize it in my own posts, I can sure as hell recognize it in others.

I'm not asking for a love fest around here, but maybe a little less nastiness and desire for hatred. Point out the hatred with facts about things instead of projecting hatred on one another.

And like a broken record - if you TRULY cannot always do so, and MUST be a jerk for a little bit - PLEASE - bring it to the steel cage section and get it off of your chest. This way others won't ignore participating in a thread, or not post, for fear of being a target of sorts.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Dang, wouldn't ya know it. Just when I start to be so much nicer the bandwagon flips and I'm in the minority again!
    Can't this ole dog ever get a good bone!----Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Btw - I personally admit I was a complete shithead and WAY out of line with Gabby. I was quite a jerk in one thread towards mundame. And I have been less than friendly towards Jafar, when he's done nothing to deserve it. All 3 somewhat made me angry, but not one of them deserved the words I flung their way. It might be legit for me to be VERY passionate about certain subjects, but nothing excuses creating a toxic atmosphere with people simply because we disagree on ways of life and political topics. Yeah, shit happens here and there, but I don't want the crazy fights and hatred to be a driving factor in who we are here. We may not be the largest political message board out there, but I'd like to think we have some of the brightest here. We get even better if we can tame some of the hatred, personal attacks and fights.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Btw - I personally admit I was a complete shithead and WAY out of line with Gabby. I was quite a jerk in one thread towards mundame. And I have been less than friendly towards Jafar, when he's done nothing to deserve it. All 3 somewhat made me angry, but not one of them deserved the words I flung their way. It might be legit for me to be VERY passionate about certain subjects, but nothing excuses creating a toxic atmosphere with people simply because we disagree on ways of life and political topics. Yeah, shit happens here and there, but I don't want the crazy fights and hatred to be a driving factor in who we are here. We may not be the largest political message board out there, but I'd like to think we have some of the brightest here. We get even better if we can tame some of the hatred, personal attacks and fights.
    Well, I can sure be stubborn as well. Look at how Kathianne shoves my buttons and enjoys watching me get embroiled in one of her matches. I offered her a peace token but she told me not to bother that she did not want peace. I was amazed given she seems aligned to me as to voting against Obama. Then I get to deal with AT who loves trying to piss into my mess kit.

But alas, I must follow your lead and fly right.

I shall try to not let my buttons get pushed. I don't get angry. For me to get angry, I have to see the person up close. I need to know their face. The way they look at me with their eyes. Being pissed at typed words makes no sense to me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I understand Jim. Ive seen myself being harsher than I'd like lately in posts. Im looking to the Lord to change me.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    I understand Jim. Ive seen myself being harsher than I'd like lately in posts. Im looking to the Lord to change me.
    Hey, me first. I have the Lord by his tie.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    Hey, me first. I have the Lord by his tie.
    Im pretty sure the Lord can change more than one person at a time.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I will say it is rather pointless to post in some threads when it turns into a school-yard pissing contest between posters. More and more threads turn into page after page of insult, inuendo and inanity. I too have managed to fling an insult or two now and then and regret it later. but I would much rather discuss facts and serious opinions. There are some posters who, in my opinion, are just not worth responding to so I don't, even though I would love to launch a rant listing their obvious flaws. In any case, perhaps a more judicious use of the steel cage is in order.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, it's true; you all suck.

Mama Jeffro: Jeeeeh-froooo! What's going on down there? What's that smell?
    Jeffro: Nothing ma! Me and Lorenzo are practicing our Turkish oil wrestling.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

This man can save us from ourselves. He's powerful.

How about dem Steelers, Jimbo?

</SPAN>
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post

Oh, no, you dit-int!
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    Im pretty sure the Lord can change more than one person at a time.

Oh that is sure true. Say, at my age, I can see why the Lord might have a project with me, but what's up with you needing a change at your young age?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Oh, no, you dit-int!
    Oh man, kick a guy while he's down, why don't ya? I'm in football mourning, have a little respect!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Oh man, kick a guy while he's down, why don't ya? I'm in football mourning, have a little respect!
    Same here.

Perhaps we should bring up the Golden Tate fiasco!
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    I will say it is rather pointless to post in some threads when it turns into a school-yard pissing contest between posters. More and more threads turn into page after page of insult, inuendo and inanity. I too have managed to fling an insult or two now and then and regret it later. but I would much rather discuss facts and serious opinions. There are some posters who, in my opinion, are just not worth responding to so I don't, even though I would love to launch a rant listing their obvious flaws. In any case, perhaps a more judicious use of the steel cage is in order.
    I will take responsibility for that. I am going to see if we can be more aggressive in reeling in the nonsense that ruins it for others. A little here and there is cool, but once it starts killing a good thread, we will try and move it to the cage area. PLEASE, everyone, anyone who sees fighting and crap that ruins threads, report it. Staff doesn't read every single thread. We will work harder to move posts from decent threads to their own threads in the cage.