Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Staff actions going forward

As I'm sure you are aware, Conhog is back and posting with us. This was MY decision. I've done it MANY times over the years, and I'll do it again for further members down the road. If second and third chances weren't allowed, barring terrible actions, then I would have been forbidden from this board myself, a LONG time ago!

But I'm not going to have the board go into a frenzy over one member. It's dumb. And it's easily avoided. I've said this a million times over the years. If you TRULY despise someone so much, to the point that you cannot read their posts without replying negatively, then place that member on ignore. The idea that the choices are a) fight to the death and ruin threads, or b) someone leaves or gets banned - is a dumb, dumb, dumb idea, and simply is not going to happen.

We're adults here and all capable of controlling ourselves. We can place someone on ignore and simply move forward as things were. Or simply have self control and not reply to people we don't like to interact with. OR, one can go into the steel cage and participate, instead of ruining good threads that other people wish to participate in.

I am telling staff, and now the board, this is how we should and are moving forward:

If petty arguments and such start up in threads, the offending posts will be moved to the cage where those people can finish. They will also be banned from participating in the thread where the fighting started. That's it, it's that simple.

As it is, now I have to run around today to a bunch of threads and clean them up. No way I'm doing this daily. If you hate someone, and want to fight with them, take it to the cage. No one is prohibited from fighting, so long as it is in the proper place. No one is prohibited from good threads, as long as they don't ruin them. No one is told they 'have to' place someone on ignore, so long as they can be adult enough to separate where to fight and where to debate.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I am trying my best to locate offending posts from the past 24hrs, and have moved them thus far to one thread in the steel cage area. PLEASE, if anyone else sees anything, please report offending posts and we will do our best to keep threads clean for everyone else. Sometimes we can't do so if we aren't aware of it. And this applies to going forward... if you're participating in a decent thread, and you see something ruining it, please take a few seconds to report posts and we'll try to keep things clean.

This is NOT an infringement on what people can say, or freedom of speech... But when threads turn into nothing but fights, and don't even mention the topic in members posts, then they need to go to the cage.

Against my better judgment, I am going to open this thread for positive feedback or other ideas we can use to clean things up a tad. If it devolves, offending posts get moved and we lock 'er back up.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

OK Jim - you have my word all my shots at CH will be made in the cage and not in other posts.

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wow... I must really have missed some stuff before I got here, huh.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

I say let people play. Sometimes a Jerry Springer effect can be fun to watch. Let's not forget the entertainment value.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    I say let people play. Sometimes a Jerry Springer effect can be fun to watch. Let's not forget the entertainment value.
    I enjoy a good flame fest. What I don't enjoy is when someone won't allow me to separate that from every other thread on the board. Thanks for forcing them to Jim.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

If you don't like someone, or if their very presence sends you into a tizzy, you can always block them. It's a very simple process.

Obviously, there are those who don't enjoy open discourse. They want to make their points and take their shots, but they don't like having shots taken at them.
    Bullshit flies both ways. If you don't want BS thrown in your face, don't toss it out.

There are many boards out there where opposing opinions (either conservative or liberal) are not allowed. If you just want to spout off without being refuted, go find one of them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

All points seen, with interest, and duly noted.

My only comment is that, for myself, I don't like to place anyone on 'ignore', and I've never done so since joining this forum. It comes across to me as a form of failure to do that.

I know my own mind, I'm confident in my opinions. If someone can come along and prove me wrong, they're entitled to have a crack at it, and if I judge they have a case which outdoes mine, then that's as it should be. As for 'flamethrowing', I'm both capable of responding to it reasonably and properly.

Rules exist for a reason, though, and besides, I see myself as a guest here. More properly, I see us ALL as guests here.

We should behave accordingly.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    If you don't like someone, or if their very presence sends you into a tizzy, you can always block them. It's a very simple process.

Obviously, there are those who don't enjoy open discourse. They want to make their points and take their shots, but they don't like having shots taken at them.
    Bullshit flies both ways. If you don't want BS thrown in your face, don't toss it out.

There are many boards out there where opposing opinions (either conservative or liberal) are not allowed. If you just want to spout off without being refuted, go find one of them.
    BS is what makes the flowers grow! And may I say sweetie, that you are a rather well endowed rose bush.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

I see using the IGNORE feature, much like what OBAMA and Congress are doing to all of the American people.

Out of sight, out of mind????? Ring any bells?

Using the Ignore is nothing but pretending that nobody disagree's, and everything is always ROSY, HAPPY, and Never any trouble.

It's a false sense of security for those who use it...until...they break their own use of IGNORE...and get back into the discussion. Just before they IGNORE again.

It's all child's play. And one of the major reasons Human Beings no longer talk to one-another face to face.

Anonymity and the Internet have destroyed a Culture, and a Society, even to the point of Political Correctness overruling our LAWS.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I have no issue if people choose not to use the ignore button. But if not used, then members need to reel themselves in at times so as not to ruin threads. If the bickering happens, then we remove people from threads.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Oh for Christ's sake people, just be civil...

Except when responding to Gabs an Mund...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Oh for Christ's sake people, just be civil...

Except when responding to Gabs an Mund...
    by all means be mean to Gabs, I enjoy the perks when I Knight for her.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    by all means be mean to Gabs, I enjoy the perks when I Knight for her.
    Do you really think she gives a crap either way? I don't.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    Do you really think she gives a crap either way? I don't.
    About what? That I Knight for her? Yes, she rather enjoys that