Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Pennsylvania girl, 5, suspended for soap bubbles gun

I understand that we need to teach/educate our children about guns, but this crap is going too far. Maybe take the gun away, maybe have a chat with her in the office, maybe talk to her parents - but "terroristic threats" and a 10 day suspension? C'mon, overkill and dumb.

A 5-year-old Pennsylvania girl who told another girl she was going to shoot her with a pink Hello Kitty toy gun that blows soapy bubbles has been suspended from kindergarten.

Her family has hired an attorney to fight the punishment, which initially was 10 days for issuing a 'terroristic threat.' But her punishment was reduced to two days after her mother met with school officials and had the incident dropped to 'threatening to harm another student,' which apparently carries a lesser punishment.

"It's laughable," Robin Ficker, the girl's attorney told FoxNews.com. "This is a girl who had no idea about killing or what happened in Connecticut."

He was referring to the recent shooting massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School that claimed 26 lives.

Ficker says Mount Carmel Area School District officials said the girl made the threat on Jan. 10 as she waited for a school bus with friends. A school official overheard the remark and searched the girl's backpack and did not find the Hello Kitty gun, he said.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/19...#ixzz2IR6JNHry
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Default Never mind the bubbles, I want this one

and yes I know the caption is wrong but it is still cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

This kind of story is just more proof about how STUPID, DUMB, IGNORANT, and SELFISH so many Uneducated Americans really are.

And the sad part is. NONE of us will hear a Peep from the Obama administration, while A.G. Holder is probably applauding such STUPIDITY.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

I'm not sure this is a bad thing. It is a durable lesson on what government is all about.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I still don't understand why the school didn't just confiscate the TOY as inappropriate for school and instruct the kids mother not to allow her to bring it in again. Absolutely overkill on their part.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I understand that we need to teach/educate our children about guns, but this crap is going too far. Maybe take the gun away, maybe have a chat with her in the office, maybe talk to her parents - but "terroristic threats" and a 10 day suspension? C'mon, overkill and dumb.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/19...#ixzz2IR6JNHry
    in defense of the school Jim, zero tolerance means zero tolerance.

It takes the entire question of claims of favoritism out of the equation, and frankly makes administrator's jobs easier. I certainly wouldn't pursue criminal charges, but I'd let the suspension stand.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post

It takes the entire question of claims of favoritism out of the equation, and frankly makes administrator's jobs easier. I certainly wouldn't pursue criminal charges, but I'd let the suspension stand.
    This confirms I was right in teaching my kids not to socialize at school; save that for church. School employees should be considered cops and treated as such.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    This confirms I was right in teaching my kids not to socialize at school; save that for church. School employees should be considered cops and treated as such.
    what does that even mean?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

what does that even mean?
    If that five year old girl didn't say anything beyond what is absolutely necessary she wouldn't be in trouble now. Kids should be Mirandized on the first day of each school year.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

hello-kitty-pistol-400x211.jpg

The Keltec Hello Kitty plr-16

Cute and Deadly
    You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing.

Captain America

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I understand and don't have an issue with zero tolerance - when applied to the appropriate offenses. I have trouble seeing 10 day suspension and a terroristic threat, from someone without even a weapon, "threatening" another with a bubble gun.

While zero tolerance has it's place in schools, there should also be common sense and right and wrong. When such rules are made about guns/threats, do we really believe the idea behind it was to prevent children from acting like children? And do we want to be so heavy handed on a child, to bring unwarranted fears, not to mention embarrassment? I think a simple talking to and a pointed finger should be sufficient.

I understand that a school or schools want to remain consistent and not have tolerance about threats and guns, but I also think that sometimes they need to look and see if it was REALLY a threat and what the likelihood was, whether there's a legit weapon... It just sounds like a way to severely punish a child who did LESS than what we did when we were kids. And yes, I understand that rules have changed, but being a kid hasn't. That's why I say reserve the tough stuff for those doing things a kid wouldn't.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voted4Reagan View Post
    hello-kitty-pistol-400x211.jpg

The Keltec Hello Kitty plr-16

Cute and Deadly
    If they want "adult" type regulations for these kids, then the kids should also have 2nd amendment and carry rights. INNOCENT!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I understand and don't have an issue with zero tolerance - when applied to the appropriate offenses. I have trouble seeing 10 day suspension and a terroristic threat, from someone without even a weapon, "threatening" another with a bubble gun.

While zero tolerance has it's place in schools, there should also be common sense and right and wrong. When such rules are made about guns/threats, do we really believe the idea behind it was to prevent children from acting like children? And do we want to be so heavy handed on a child, to bring unwarranted fears, not to mention embarrassment? I think a simple talking to and a pointed finger should be sufficient.

I understand that a school or schools want to remain consistent and not have tolerance about threats and guns, but I also think that sometimes they need to look and see if it was REALLY a threat and what the likelihood was, whether there's a legit weapon... It just sounds like a way to severely punish a child who did LESS than what we did when we were kids. And yes, I understand that rules have changed, but being a kid hasn't. That's why I say reserve the tough stuff for those doing things a kid wouldn't.
    That's fine in the abstract Jim, but in the reality you are talking about schools who's administrators are dealing with hundreds if not thousands of kids. It's just simply easier to have a one size fits all policy.

Also, yes this threat seems silly on the surface , but the idea is to make sure it doesn't escalate into something else later on down the road.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

That's fine in the abstract Jim, but in the reality you are talking about schools who's administrators are dealing with hundreds if not thousands of kids. It's just simply easier to have a one size fits all policy.

Also, yes this threat seems silly on the surface , but the idea is to make sure it doesn't escalate into something else later on down the road.
    How many possible cases of a child, talking about a childs gun, which "shoots" bubbles? No matter how many they may administer, it can't be very hard to specifically look at a case like this which comes up how many times? Imagine if an 8 year old made the same threat, but with a real gun. Nevermind the authorities, the school would give him the same penalty. I don't think a little girl with a bubble gun deserves the same penalty. I know I may not change policy, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How many possible cases of a child, talking about a childs gun, which "shoots" bubbles? No matter how many they may administer, it can't be very hard to specifically look at a case like this which comes up how many times? Imagine if an 8 year old made the same threat, but with a real gun. Nevermind the authorities, the school would give him the same penalty. I don't think a little girl with a bubble gun deserves the same penalty. I know I may not change policy, but that's just my opinion.
    I think you would be SHOCKED to know how many little children make such threats.

As for the same punishment, not hardly. The punishment for bringing a real gun to school would be expulsion immediately from most any school I would imagine. Not just a suspension.

And of course the legal ramifications.