Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Another child - reprimanded for a paper gun this time

Good thing she didn't shoot anyone with paper bullets, or make a paper airplane and use it as a missile.

Another fake gun has reportedly created problems for a young student.

According to Philadelphia mother Dianna Kelly, who spoke with FOX 29 about the incident, her daughter, Melody Valentin, was given a sheet of paper by her grandfather that was torn and folded to look like a pistol. When another student saw the fake gun, which Melody had thrown in the trash can, he alerted the teacher.

The teacher then went over the top when reprimanding Melody, Kelly told Fox 29, saying that he "should call the cops on her" and that she could "be arrested."

Kelly added, "Why did he threaten my daughter?"

Melody, meanwhile, said that the teacher "yelled at me and said I shouldn't have brought the gun to school and I kept telling him it was a paper gun but he wouldn't listen."

Kelly has been keeping Melody home since the incident last week and says she's looking into enrolling her in another school.

According to Fox 29, school officials have not responded to their requests for comment.

Last week, a kindergartner was suspended after saying she was going to shoot classmates with her pink Hello Kitty bubble gun. And earlier this month, a 6-year-old boy was suspended after making a gun gesture with his hand and saying, "Pow."
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...181022936.html
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

few years back they tried to suspend my little brother for bringing one of those little green toy army guys to recess.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Good thing she didn't shoot anyone with paper bullets, or make a paper airplane and use it as a missile.

we've already had the argument about whether schools go overboard on these things. So no need to rehash.

But , don't you think the parents of these kids need to start thinking more and making sure they are not even inadvertently causing these types situations? I mean kids there are to LEARN not make a statement or play with paper guns or what have you?

If this turns into a the school over reacted thread, cool I just won't participate. i would like to hear some opinions on my question though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    we've already had the argument about whether schools go overboard on these things. So no need to rehash.

But , don't you think the parents of these kids need to start thinking more and making sure they are not even inadvertently causing these types situations? I mean kids there are to LEARN not make a statement or play with paper guns or what have you?

If this turns into a the school over reacted thread, cool I just won't participate. i would like to hear some opinions on my question though.
    I think this thread is dead before it even starts. Fox is going to scrape the bottom of the barrel to keep searching for anything that might make liberals look bad. I'd rather not take the bait.

We're not going to take guns out of our culture. I played cops and robbers; cowboys and indians; etc.... as a kid. I don't think these kids did anything that needs counseling. Obviously, the teachers are over-reacting.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bingster View Post
    I think this thread is dead before it even starts. Fox is going to scrape the bottom of the barrel to keep searching for anything that might make liberals look bad. I'd rather not take the bait.

We're not going to take guns out of our culture. I played cops and robbers; cowboys and indians; etc.... as a kid. I don't think these kids did anything that needs counseling. Obviously, the teachers are over-reacting.
    The problem is that teachers are ALWAYS overreacting...

We can't even have those brightly colored nerf dart guns. And i'm on a campus in college...

Edit; not that they'll suspend us or call the cops or anything extreme, they'll just take them away...
    Last edited by cadet; 01-23-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

JIM. Just another prime reason many more parents will look to Home Schooling as an alternative to the Politically UNCORRECT world of Stupidity growing across this nation.

polincorrect.jpg
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post

We can't even have those brightly colored nerf dart guns. And i'm on a campus in college...

Edit; not that they'll suspend us or call the cops or anything extreme, they'll just take them away...
    That's a pretty strict policy for a college IMHO.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post

bingster. When will you learn. Nobody has to scrape the bottom of any barrel to find stupidity from Liberals. Crap floats, and always comes to the top of the barrel...to be identified as CRAP, and scraped off..into the Cesspool with the other DNC talking points.
    So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I am just of the belief that some things need to be dealt with appropriately, not on a one size fits all punishment. This girl through a paper gun in the garbage. Didn't threaten and didn't use. Paper. Tossed it in garbage. But nevermind even administered punishment, but a teacher threatening police and arrest - over a piece of paper?

Do parents bear some responsibility? Absolutely. I'm not so sure I would have been worried had my son had a piece of paper his grandfather made for him. To avoid things, it might be wise to be PC and avoid the drama, but I wouldn't scold a parent either, for a child having a piece of paper fashioned as such.

I don't think the appropriate way to teach them that it might be wrong is through fear, threats or banishment from school for periods of time. At such impressionable ages, I think teaching them via plain old learning is the route to go.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am just of the belief that some things need to be dealt with appropriately, not on a one size fits all punishment. This girl through a paper gun in the garbage. Didn't threaten and didn't use. Paper. Tossed it in garbage. But nevermind even administered punishment, but a teacher threatening police and arrest - over a piece of paper?

Do parents bear some responsibility? Absolutely. I'm not so sure I would have been worried had my son had a piece of paper his grandfather made for him. To avoid things, it might be wise to be PC and avoid the drama, but I wouldn't scold a parent either, for a child having a piece of paper fashioned as such.

I don't think the appropriate way to teach them that it might be wrong is through fear, threats or banishment from school for periods of time. At such impressionable ages, I think teaching them via plain old learning is the route to go.
    Jim as it happens in this case I agree. Threatening arrest is never appropriate for a small child. Just dumb. Some spoke of traumatizing the kid in the other thread which was just silly, but when we're talking about having a child arrested for something, fuck that's just dumb .

To that point, why are teachers anywhere making those kinds of calls regardless of the situation? Just baffling. They certainly don't in our system. We have a Vice Principle of Discipline and that's what he's paid , teachers are paid to teach. We don't even allow them to hand out suspension. One person at each school makes those decisions until of course expulsion which is a school board decision based on recommendations.

But back to my point. At some point parents are going to have to figure out that schools aren't messing around with guns or bullying and they are gonna need to umm you know be parents.

Did this teacher behave correctly, no. But grandpa should have been more responsible and told the kid to keep his paper gun at home as well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Let's just make EVERYTHING anyone says, does, pretends to do, thinks, acts out, ILLEGAL!

This nation is becoming nothing more than OVERKILL about everything.

Somebody doesn't like what they see. It's illegal.
    Somebody doesn't like what they hear. It's illegal.
    A human being looks, sounds, utters, breathes, exhales, rolls eyes, farts, belches...It's illegal.
    If you dislike anything, anyone does without your approval, for any reason. It's illegal.
    Political Correctness is working better against this nation than the two planes who crashed into the WTC.

And DUMB, IGNORANT, UNEDUCATED, OVERLY-EDUCATED, ELITES, SNOBS, ASSHOLES, AND STUPID AMERICANS like it.
    So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Jim as it happens in this case I agree. Threatening arrest is never appropriate for a small child. Just dumb. Some spoke of traumatizing the kid in the other thread which was just silly, but when we're talking about having a child arrested for something, fuck that's just dumb .

To that point, why are teachers anywhere making those kinds of calls regardless of the situation? Just baffling. They certainly don't in our system. We have a Vice Principle of Discipline and that's what he's paid , teachers are paid to teach. We don't even allow them to hand out suspension. One person at each school makes those decisions until of course expulsion which is a school board decision based on recommendations.

But back to my point. At some point parents are going to have to figure out that schools aren't messing around with guns or bullying and they are gonna need to umm you know be parents.

Did this teacher behave correctly, no. But grandpa should have been more responsible and told the kid to keep his paper gun at home as well.
    I can go with most of that. I think teachers, if they believe something is within a violation of the "gun issues" - they should send the child to an administrator and let them handle privately, and accordingly based on the merits. Someone who won't threaten the police, but will take it with the seriousness it deserves and take appropriate action.

And any and all action should result in parental involvement to have them assist going forward, and help prevent instances and help teach the child why such an action can be wrong.

I'm glad I'm not a kid today. I used to have a pistol that felt like it weighed about 4lbs. You would get a strip of caps, place it back by the trigger, and "shoot" way. As each cap got hit with the trigger, it was a cap gun going off. I would have rolls of caps, so could shoot them like a semi-auto with a 90 round clip! LOL Play with one of them in school today and you'll probably end up in Guantanomo!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post

Let's just make EVERYTHING anyone says, does, pretends to do, thinks, acts out, ILLEGAL!

This nation is becoming nothing more than OVERKILL about everything.

Somebody doesn't like what they see. It's illegal.
    Somebody doesn't like what they hear. It's illegal.
    A human being looks, sounds, utters, breathes, exhales, rolls eyes, farts, belches...It's illegal.
    If you dislike anything, anyone does without your approval, for any reason. It's illegal.
    Political Correctness is working better against this nation than the two planes who crashed into the WTC.

And DUMB, IGNORANT, UNEDUCATED, OVERLY-EDUCATED, ELITES, SNOBS, ASSHOLES, AND STUPID AMERICANS like it.
    so apparently only the just right amount educated don't like it. what level of education is just right?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bingster View Post

Yeah..........it is sad. I agree with all that you say, all those elements are there.

Wild overreacting....maybe we should ask why. It suddenly occurs to me that maybe the teachers are scared! That is, they are overreacting to nondangerous gun stuff because, you know, it IS true that teachers get disproportionately killed in these rampage attacks (I've been reading about them).

Huh. It's still mean to the children to carry on like that, but I feel a little more sympathetic to the teachers' predicament. It's them who are most likely to take the bullets, if a rampage happens.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I'm glad I'm not a kid today. I used to have a pistol that felt like it weighed about 4lbs. You would get a strip of caps, place it back by the trigger, and "shoot" way. As each cap got hit with the trigger, it was a cap gun going off. I would have rolls of caps, so could shoot them like a semi-auto with a 90 round clip! LOL Play with one of them in school today and you'll probably end up in Guantanomo!
    Lord, we all used to do that, even girls! Remember the red caps rolls and you could unroll them and pound them with a rock? That was great.

[Sigh] Time passes, things change.

Too often not for the better.