Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Sandy victims left out in the cold during arctic blast

WTF? I thought Obama promised to cut red tape and not allow for stuff like this to happen?

The brutal cold snap affecting much of the country is taking a devastating toll on victims of superstorm Sandy, many of whom are camped out in tent cities or living in homes without power, heat or running water.

Those unable to get proper lodging have hunkered down in their homes without the basic necessities of heat, electricity, or running water.

“Many families in Union Beach are using space heaters to warm upstairs,” said Jeanette Van Houten, a resident from the small New Jersey town that was among the hardest-hit communities. “There’s people with no heat, no electric, but they are staying in the house because it’s better than having to deal with FEMA and having to leave hotels every two weeks.

“There are families who have chosen to stay in their homes just to have some sort of normalcy,” she added.

The cold wave has brought single-digit temperatures to the Northeast, some 10 to 15 degrees below normal for the time of year.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/25...-arctic-blast/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    WTF? I thought Obama promised to cut red tape and not allow for stuff like this to happen?

By the looks of it, the article backfires on Fox. The people are getting help from FEMA, they just don't like it and would rather stay home?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderknuckles View Post
    By the looks of it, the article backfires on Fox. The people are getting help from FEMA, they just don't like it and would rather stay home?
    I think they are saying they would rather do so, as Fema as doing a shitty job. If staying in a home with freezing temperatures is better than FEMA, just what is it they are offering?

Can you imagine some of them, still living in tent cities? Hell, at least put the people in a hotel!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Libs once gain show their compassion for their fellow Americans. Oh well, Obama and the Dems have more important things to do. Like campaign for more gun laws, more debt. increased spending, and trashing the NRA and Republicans. They can't be worried about these political pawns who may be a little chilly and without a home. They wil get around to them as soon as they can arrange a photo-op then they will get the hell out of the disaster area as fast as they can

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Jim. The ELECTION was over in November. Obama won. The last thing he wants to hear now is anything about his largest, Democrat base in the NorthEast states....being forgotten, or strangled by Red Tape.

After all. They were JUST VOTES.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Just shows that in times of need you can NOT depend on the govt to help. Ohh they can handle smaller stuff lake a few thousand but you get up to a hundred thousand or more and its not going to happen!!!!!!!!
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No more new taxes!!

I will close Gitmo

I did not have sex with that woman

etc etc

aka politicians are liars.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

still nothing from Fema
    You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing.

Captain America

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I think they are saying they would rather do so, as Fema as doing a shitty job. If staying in a home with freezing temperatures is better than FEMA, just what is it they are offering?

Can you imagine some of them, still living in tent cities? Hell, at least put the people in a hotel!
    Jim, welcome to the U.S. government.
    FEMA does a crappy job because it is mismanaged and underfunded. Because the previous administration folded FEMA into Homeland Security. And because Congress plays political games with FEMA.
    There are STILL victims of Hurricane Ike (Sept. 2008) living in trailers. Because they haven't gotten the promised funding and low interest loans.
    Victims of Ike and Katrina had to battle the government for years. Welcome to their world.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Jim, welcome to the U.S. government.
    FEMA does a crappy job because it is mismanaged and underfunded. Because the previous administration folded FEMA into Homeland Security. And because Congress plays political games with FEMA.
    There are STILL victims of Hurricane Ike (Sept. 2008) living in trailers. Because they haven't gotten the promised funding and low interest loans.
    Victims of Ike and Katrina had to battle the government for years. Welcome to their world.
    and yet FEMA's budget continues to grow and Dems have called for BILLIONS more. Once again, Dems show their solution to any problem is to throw money at the problem.

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderknuckles View Post
    If you look back to Katrina....

When people were making painfully obvious observations such as; "Gee, why didn't they use all of those school buses that got flooded out to evacuate the people from New Orleans?"

We were met with liberal sneers such as; "School buses? ZOMG! That's degrading! Dehumanizing!"

Look now and you will see that the very same voices that didn't think the school buses were suitable for a 2 or 3 hour drive, now find a FEMA flaptent in a parking lot for the foreseeable future, in any and every weather condition imaginable, to be a more than adequate provision.
    Last edited by taft2012; 01-26-2013 at 12:19 PM.
    Mama Jeffro: Jeeeeh-froooo! What's going on down there? What's that smell?
    Jeffro: Nothing ma! Me and Lorenzo are practicing our Turkish oil wrestling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taft2012 View Post
    If you look back to Katrina....

When people were making painfully obvious observations such as; "Gee, why didn't they use all of those school buses that got flooded out to evacuate the people from New Orleans?"

We were met with liberal sneers such as; "School buses? ZOMG! That's degrading! Dehumanizing!"

Look now and you will see that the very same voices that didn't think the school buses were suitable now find a FEMA flaptent in a parking lot for the foreseeable future, in any and every weather condition imaginable, to be a more than adequate provision.
    You are posing questions while overlooking the answers. Which have always been there.
    New Orleans didn't use the buses because they didn't have the drivers. Nor did they have the fuel.
    The same reason why many NO residents didn't leave because they didn't have any sort of transportation.
    My guess is some of the same people who complained about the government spending too much money on Katrina are the same ones yelling about not getting money for Sandy aid.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You are posing questions while overlooking the answers. Which have always been there.
    New Orleans didn't use the buses because they didn't have the drivers. Nor did they have the fuel.
    The same reason why many NO residents didn't leave because they didn't have any sort of transportation.
    My guess is some of the same people who complained about the government spending too much money on Katrina are the same ones yelling about not getting money for Sandy aid.
    Are you saying the people in NO are too damn stupid to put the key in the ignition, push the clutch, and put the stick shift into 1st gear and move the damn bus? The people were offered trains as a way to leave Gabby, but were turned down. The only money that people are screaming about with Sandy aid was all the PORK going to states that were not affected by Sandy and the gross incompetence of the Dems doing noting for the people who probably voted for them

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice theory to toss out, but with 2 to 3 day's advance notice, it doesn't hold up that there wasn't fuel for school buses in September.

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/...8/114045.shtml

Turns out, Nagin turned his nose up at the yellow buses, demanding more comfortable Greyhound coaches instead.

"I need 500 buses, man," he told WWL. "One of the briefings we had they were talking about getting, you know, public school bus drivers to come down here and bus people out of here."

Nagin described his response:

"I'm like - you've got to be kidding me. This is a natural disaster. Get every doggone Greyhound bus line in the country and get their asses moving to New Orleans."

While Nagin was waiting for his Greyhound fleet, Katrina's floodwaters swamped his school buses, rendering them unusable.

Mama Jeffro: Jeeeeh-froooo! What's going on down there? What's that smell?
    Jeffro: Nothing ma! Me and Lorenzo are practicing our Turkish oil wrestling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Taft, something tells me Gabby will turn her blue nose at this thread, suddenly become "busy" and never be heard from again

Ronald Reagan