Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Default My Kingdom For some DNA

Skull 'could be King Richard III'
    (AFP) – 26 minutes ago <iframe frameborder="0" hspace="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" tabindex="0" vspace="0" width="100%" id="I0_1359943357830" name="I0_1359943357830" src="https://plusone.google.com/u/0/_/+1/fastbutton?size=small&count=true&hl=en-US&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&url=http%3A% 2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fhostednews%2Fafp%2Farticle%2 FALeqM5gGYH0ZVbUDc-UZE70iaH4Wjs7Whg%3FdocId%3DCNG.1b42b383631cf67f0e4 f0ad04c39ad47.31&gsrc=1p&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fabc-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fgapi%2F__features__%2Frt%3Dj%2Fv er%3DGyFIWT38BxQ.en.%2Fsv%3D1%2Fam%3D!1SHbgmtzBX7J mrjUxw%2Fd%3D1#_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_clos e%2C_open%2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled&i d=I0_1359943357830&parent=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google. com" allowtransparency="true" data-gapiattached="true" title="+1" style="margin: 0px; padding-top: 0px; position: static; top: 0px; width: 70px; border-style: none; left: 0px; visibility: visible; height: 15px;"></iframe>
    LONDON — Archaeologists hunting for the lost remains of King Richard III have revealed the first image of a battle-scarred skull found at a Leicester car park ahead of what they said would be a "major announcement" about their findings.
    More than five centuries after the mediaeval king was killed in battle, academics were due Monday to reveal the identity of a skeleton unearthed in September at a car park.
    The skeleton bears striking similarities to descriptions of Richard, who ruled England from 1483 until his death at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485 at age 32.
    Its curved spine has an arrowhead embedded in it, and there is evidence of a wound at the back of the skull.
    The image released by the University of Leicester showed a well-preserved skull with most of its teeth still intact.
    "The skull was in good condition, although fragile, and was able to give us detailed information about this individual," said Jo Appleby, who led the exhumation.
    "In order to determine whether this individual is Richard III we have built up a biological profile of its characteristics. We have also carefully examined the skeleton for traces of a violent death."
    But the university stopped short of revealing whether the skull was Richard's ahead of its press conference at 1000 GMT on Monday.
    Scientists have been using the DNA of distant relative of Richard's to try to confirm the skeleton's identity.
    They took DNA samples from 55-year-old Michael Ibsen, a Canadian-born carpenter who lives in London, and have been comparing them with samples from the skeleton.
    Ibsen is a 17th-generation nephew of the king, who was immortalised as the hunchbacked villain of Shakespeare's "Richard III".
    Richard is thought to have been buried at the Franciscan friary of Grey Friars in Leicester, but the church was demolished in the 1530s and its location had been lost until now.
    The skeleton was unearthed in what is thought to have been the choir of the church, which was also uncovered during a three-week archaeological dig at the car park.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Been looking at the news today. The announcement was made that the remains are certainly those of the missing monarch. The reported plan is to reinter the remains with ceremony in Leicester Cathedral at some point next year. I will be curious to see if the currrent royals make an appearance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Fascinating stuff. I was hoping he would be reinterred at Westiminster Abbey, but I read that QEII has denied the privilege.

I also read that he had about 5 battle-type wounds. I love how these kings of old rode into battle with their armies. Impossible to imagine that nowadays.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Dna has confirmed... it is indeed Richard III....

Long live the king.....

Now for a suitable royal funeral.....
    You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing.

Captain America

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Fascinating stuff. I was hoping he would be reinterred at Westiminster Abbey, but I read that QEII has denied the privilege.

I also read that he had about 5 battle-type wounds. I love how these kings of old rode into battle with their armies. Impossible to imagine that nowadays.
    Well, Richard III didn't have the best of reputations. I'm sure that played its part ...
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Well, Richard III didn't have the best of reputations. I'm sure that played its part ...
    I would love to See Obama do that...

We're behind you Mr. President...

WAY BEHIND YOU!!
    You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing.

Captain America

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voted4Reagan View Post

WAY BEHIND YOU!!
    You'd love to see Obama's remains dug up from under a car park in Leicester ?

What did Leicester ever do to deserve such a fate ?
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

That is because they had both honor and courage!
    Obama can not even so much as spell 'em..... --Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Lol, you know better about these things I'm sure. Maybe they can let bygones be bygones after 600 years or so?

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voted4Reagan View Post

WAY BEHIND YOU!!

V4R, That's almost like repeating the Lawyer joke. Only this time, it's Obama.
    When we say...We Love obama (Lawyers) deeply. SIX FEET DEEP!
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Well --- his nephews that he certainly had killed are interred at Westminster, after being found during the reign of Charles II buried ten feet deep, together, under a stairs in the Tower where they were last seen alive. So it would be a little awkward.

Richard II stole the throne from the legitimate heirs, his brother's own sons, aged 12 and 9. And killed them. What would his brother have thought of that? Richard never showed any disloyalty and made himself very useful the whole of Edward IV's reign, but that king died quite suddenly at (I think) age 44. Appendicitis, some think. As Winston Churchill writes, "his faithful brother Richard saw himself suddenly confronted with an entirely new view of his future."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mundame View Post
    Well --- his nephews that he certainly had killed are interred at Westminster, after being found during the reign of Charles II buried ten feet deep, together, under a stairs in the Tower where they were last seen alive. So it would be a little awkward.

Richard II stole the throne from the legitimate heirs, his brother's own sons, aged 12 and 9. And killed them. What would his brother have thought of that? Richard never showed any disloyalty and made himself very useful the whole of Edward IV's reign, but that king died quite suddenly at (I think) age 44. Appendicitis, some think. As Winston Churchill writes, "his faithful brother Richard saw himself suddenly confronted with an entirely new view of his future."
    Good point, Mundame.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

You'd love to see Obama's remains dug up from under a car park in Leicester ?

What did Leicester ever do to deserve such a fate ?
    Ride into battle.... at the head of his ARMY...

like I said... We'd be WAY behind him if he did.....

Captain America

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Good point, Mundame.

Yes but history is written by the victors. Much of what we have on Richard is filtered through the lens of the Tudor monarchs who succeeded him. From a more balanced point of view, he seems little different from a great many medieval rulers and may have been a bit better than some. He was responsible for some fairly progressive reforms, including the use of bail, the establishment of a poor man's court system, eliminating restrictions on printing books, and translating many laws from French into English. Not as bad a record as you might think.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

So true. Looks like his hands were tied and his skull bashed in. Someone really didn't like him. He also appears to have had spinal deformity, thus Shakespeare's description of him seems quite accurate, except for the deformed hand.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill