Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default Protestant Ministers Continue To Preach Hatred

I remember reading the screeds from Billy Graham from the 50's and 60's, vile anti-Catholicism, undertones of racial bigotry. All in all, hate preaching and teaching. Once I went to 'Bible Summer School' at a Presbyterian Church with my best friend, it was the church her family belonged to. When the teacher found out I was Catholic, she told me that if I stayed so, I'd got to hell. Catholics were worse than the Jews. Yeah, her family changed churches, interesting since her grandfather had donated the land and built that church himself. Then again, he was sort of anti-Catholic himself.

From most here and other forums, seems those lessons are still going on, their flocks have bought into it for sure. Maybe Phelps is just a rung down lower on the ladder.

It's funny, most folks I'm friends with are Protestants, they really regret the things they leaned in their churches and church classes years ago. Then again, they are educated enough not to confuse child abusers with Catholics as a whole or blame Catholics for the cover-ups that happened.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I remember reading the screeds from Billy Graham from the 50's and 60's, vile anti-Catholicism, undertones of racial bigotry. All in all, hate preaching and teaching. Once I went to 'Bible Summer School' at a Presbyterian Church with my best friend, it was the church her family belonged to. When the teacher found out I was Catholic, she told me that if I stayed so, I'd got to hell. Catholics were worse than the Jews. Yeah, her family changed churches, interesting since her grandfather had donated the land and built that church himself. Then again, he was sort of anti-Catholic himself.

From most here and other forums, seems those lessons are still going on, their flocks have bought into it for sure. Maybe Phelps is just a rung down lower on the ladder.

It's funny, most folks I'm friends with are Protestants, they really regret the things they leaned in their churches and church classes years ago. Then again, they are educated enough not to confuse child abusers with Catholics as a whole or blame Catholics for the cover-ups that happened.
    is there a link, or did you just want to make the comment?
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I attended with my SIL and my daughter one Billy Graham conference in San Jose, CA. I found him to be very kind. I can't recall any of so called hate speech from the man.

The Catholics appear to be fighting back due to the many poor press coverages heaped only os far as I am aware of on the heads of those who molested children. I don't for one second believe that to be how most of the priests are.

BTW, to date, I have never heard any scandal of any sort proclamed about my church.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Where is the "continue" part? Every Protestant church I know of LOVES catholic people as well as folks from every faith - or lack-of-faith.

Certian things inside Catholicism bug the hell out of me; most of the things that bother me also have little scriptural confirmation, yet Catholics hold-fast. Not understanding why a particular faith holds tradition in such regard does not mean I hate.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

The key is to separate their evaluation as citizens versus spiritually. Anti-abortion activism has broken down lots of barriers. Hard-core Fundamental Baptists have learned to accept help fighting abortion from Catholics and Mormons and not comment in the spiritual aspects unless asked. If they ask all bets are off. I wonder what kind of help Fundamental Baptists could expect from Muslims in the effort to oppose abortion on demand.
    Last edited by tailfins; 02-25-2013 at 04:39 PM.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

The Catholic Church does a ton of good in the world, and would be sorely missed if it crumbled. Take the big picture, and no one should want to see them fail.

A relatively few gay pedophiles, who probably chose the church as a feasible cover for being gay (can't marry anyway), and for accessibility to altar boys, have given it a black eye. (Though the church cover-ups are what make people fault the church much more than the actual gay pedophilia).

Any and all faiths, and non-faiths, are susceptible to such disgusting activities among its leaders. The Catholic Church has more than their share of this problem because they are a huge organization, coupled with the aforementioned handy gayness-cover, and the accessibility. (As we know, pedophiles love to take coaching, teaching, etc., jobs for that very reason). Unless the Church has published Hadith-like works promoting such activities as part of the faith, you can't blame the Church as a whole for this.

As for Billy Graham, he may have been more fiery and less wise when he was young. If you read his books or listen to him, he is so clearly a godly man with a great, much-needed message. I wouldn't choose him to be a bad example.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

If Billy Graham bothers you, I can only imagine what you say about Jerry Falwell (Baptist) and Pat Robertson (Pentecostal).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Regarding Relevarts asking for a link, I'm going more on, "judging by behavior, not words."

Robert, the Billy Graham screeds were from 40's and 50's. I believe his father did the same, before that. He changed some of his beliefs or at least his way of approaching Catholicism some of the self-righteous, hate-filled, claiming to know the mind of God protestants were and are not happy campers:

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolve...m-apostasy.htm

Billy Graham, Catholicism, and Apostasy
    (or should we call him BILLY BALAAM?)

Oh yes, they care so much for the 'souls' of others. Gag me, hypocrites. That is a log, not a splinter.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Regarding Relevarts asking for a link, I'm going more on, "judging by behavior, not words."

Robert, the Billy Graham screeds were from 40's and 50's. I believe his father did the same, before that. He changed some of his beliefs or at least his way of approaching Catholicism some of the self-righteous, hate-filled, claiming to know the mind of God protestants were and are not happy campers:

Oh yes, they care so much for the 'souls' of others. Gag me, hypocrites. That is a log, not a splinter.

Remember the "dont-ask-dont-tell" point of view I mentioned earlier in this thread? By visiting their web page, you "asked" and were "told". Many of those would accept your help in an anti-abortion effort and everyone would agree to stay away from such topics.

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    The Catholic Church does a ton of good in the world, and would be sorely missed if it crumbled. Take the big picture, and no one should want to see them fail. A relatively few gay pedophiles, who probably chose the church as a feasible cover for being gay (can't marry anyway), and for accessibility to altar boys, have given it a black eye. (Though the church cover-ups are what make people fault the church much more than the actual gay pedophilia). Any and all faiths, and non-faiths, are susceptible to such disgusting activities among its leaders. The Catholic Church has more than their share of this problem because they are a huge organization, coupled with the aforementioned handy gayness-cover, and the accessibility. (As we know, pedophiles love to take coaching, teaching, etc., jobs for that very reason). Unless the Church has published Hadith-like works promoting such activities as part of the faith, you can't blame the Church as a whole for this. As for Billy Graham, he may have been more fiery and less wise when he was young. If you read his books or listen to him, he is so clearly a godly man with a great, much-needed message. I wouldn't choose him to be a bad example.
    I very much enjoy how you present arguments and yourself.How young are Alter boys? When I read the term pedophile, I rush to try to define it the correct way. I understand that some sloppy dictionaries have some other looser view. We need to understand what the term ped means. By itself it may not seem to be a word but those boys under puberty are those that are peds. To be a pedophile means the boy under puberty is affected. Or girl as the case may be.Abbey, as a Mormon not going to church, I agree that Catholics globally do a lot of good. I don't try to make them pay for things done to humans way back. I don't think it fair to the current Catholics. Some in the church appear to have covered up. I wonder if most of the authorities of the church took action though. I don't see it as a core belief to molest children.You may wonder why I take issue over the term pedophile. At age 15/16 as a boy scout a guy in the church tried to pull that crap on me when I slept at his parents home. He was older. I shut him right down. But I was post puberty. I don't suspect he took interest in the tots.
    Kathianne, as I stated, my only contact with the man was at a time his age was very old. I had never personally seen him prior to that event. I don't follow the man nor do I know for a FACT that much about the man. My SIL invited me so I went with the family. My SIL attends church regularly and has been a regular to several denominations. My contact with Catholics was as a 1st grader and the teacher had us sign up to learn Catholic beliefs. I believe I lasted one meeting. I attended a Catholic friends funeral. I had gone to Las Vegas to see him a few days ahead of his death by car accident. I thought the Catholic services were very well done. As of now,I have not attended one of your Mass.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    Remember the "dont-ask-dont-tell" point of view I mentioned earlier in this thread? By visiting their web page, you "asked" and were "told". Many of those would accept your help in an anti-abortion effort and everyone would agree to stay away from such topics.
    Nah, I've been observing Protestant posters doing the 'apostasy' calls, countless threads on 'evil' priests and stupid, condoning Catholics. As I said, 'actions, not words.' Their eye, their logs. I just find them hateful, that's all. I don't think they'll change, just glad I know enough non-hateful to not condemn all. I actually am amused to some degree, that they feel they represent the best of Christ.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nah, I've been observing Protestant posters doing the 'apostasy' calls, countless threads on 'evil' priests and stupid, condoning Catholics. As I said, 'actions, not words.' Their eye, their logs. I just find them hateful, that's all. I don't think they'll change, just glad I know enough non-hateful to not condemn all. I actually am amused to some degree, that they feel they represent the best of Christ.
    What apostasy calls? Did you mean condemning Catholics above?

They don't need to do things like that. It makes them look bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    The Catholic Church does a ton of good in the world, and would be sorely missed if it crumbled. Take the big picture, and no one should want to see them fail.

A relatively few gay pedophiles, who probably chose the church as a feasible cover for being gay (can't marry anyway), and for accessibility to altar boys, have given it a black eye. (Though the church cover-ups are what make people fault the church much more than the actual gay pedophilia).

Any and all faiths, and non-faiths, are susceptible to such disgusting activities among its leaders. The Catholic Church has more than their share of this problem because they are a huge organization, coupled with the aforementioned handy gayness-cover, and the accessibility. (As we know, pedophiles love to take coaching, teaching, etc., jobs for that very reason). Unless the Church has published Hadith-like works promoting such activities as part of the faith, you can't blame the Church as a whole for this.

As for Billy Graham, he may have been more fiery and less wise when he was young. If you read his books or listen to him, he is so clearly a godly man with a great, much-needed message. I wouldn't choose him to be a bad example.
    A fair summary, though it seems more concern for what the Church provides to all, than anything about the Church or it's members. I can live with that. I do think you're incorrect though that the 'concern' is the cover up, while certainly true for Catholics, not so much for Protestants, they like to 'not let a crisis go unexploited.' As I said, hatefully accusing Catholics of supporting both the abusers and the cover ups.

I just finished reading the Wiki entry on Graham, which is mostly fair, though skips the ant-Catholic messages, certainly not the racial or Jewish ones. Do I think he changed later? Yes. A big difference after Nixon. I too think he became a better person, indeed I see him as more enlightened than many of those that 'followed him.'

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    What apostasy calls? Did you mean condemning Catholics above?

They don't need to do things like that. It makes them look bad.
    No. The accusation that Catholics are heretics, leading others to perdition. See, 'they worship idols,' 'they are a false religion,' 'They are not Christian,' goes on and on. As I said, they were raised in the environment of hate, they believe they are doing 'God's work' by pointing such out. Really.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Most consider abortion a bigger evil than Catholicism and will bite their tongue if Catholic help will score an anti-abortion victory. You might have some fun with SOME asking "I know that's what you're told to say, but what do you really think"? Believing something in a vacuum is one thing, seeing it challenged in real life is another. Housewives, full time pastors and seminary students have the luxury of throwing such red meat. Others don't.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

I wasn't asking for proof, I know Billy Graham and others have in the past ,and some now, preach against various Catholic doctrines, and sometimes more in a strident way.
    I was just wondering why you brought it up just now.

I don't want to get into it with you at all but that Sunday school teacher was an @ss to say that to a kid.
    But the protestant v catholic head butting is not something new. Catholics and Protestants used to kill each other over the same points that now , if people are mature about it , they can talk about vigorously over dinner and still go home friends. I've listened to conferences where scholars, both Protestants and Catholics, have presented their positions. Neither giving way on their views, but ending by simply agreeing to disagree. Without saying that the other is filled with hate.
    I get the impression you've been hurt by people who've been a too strident for your taste but I hope you can understand that some people , even highly educated ones, might not have the same view as you do. Unity and compromise is not necesarilly a sign of truth. but everyone should be approached with a spirit of love.
    Last edited by revelarts; 02-25-2013 at 06:07 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16