Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    No. The accusation that Catholics are heretics, leading others to perdition. See, 'they worship idols,' 'they are a false religion,' 'They are not Christian,' goes on and on. As I said, they were raised in the environment of hate, they believe they are doing 'God's work' by pointing such out. Really.
    You are correct that some Protestant, or more likely, non-denom, churches, imply that Catholics are essentially lost souls in need of salvation. Given that there are a multitude of core beliefs that we share, I never felt comfortable with that.

It reminds me of the Northern Ireland situation. My in-laws participated in a group that brought one Irish Protestant and one Irish Catholic child to stay with them for a while. The idea I believe was for them to see that they have much more in common than they have differences. I suspect if you put any Christian denoms together in a cleric-ruled Muslim country, they would all quickly band together and forget their differences.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    Most consider abortion a bigger evil than Catholicism and will bite their tongue if Catholic help will score an anti-abortion victory. You might have some fun with SOME asking "I know that's what you're told to say, but what do you really think"? Believing something in a vacuum is one thing, seeing it challenged in real life is another. Housewives, full time pastors and seminary students have the luxury of throwing such red meat. Others don't.
    I don't think the Church cares whether or not they 'get support' from fundies, the Church has always preached against abortion, genocide, and euthanasia. They are strongly against the death penalty. The definition of life for the Church is conception, and the Church preaches against contraception.

That last though, the percentage of Catholics in the US that follows? Same as Protestants.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    You are correct that some Protestant, or more likely, non-denom, churches, imply that Catholics are essentially lost souls in need of salvation. Given that there are a multitude of core beliefs that we share, I never felt comfortable with that.

It reminds me of the Northern Ireland situation. My in-laws participated in a group that brought one Irish Protestant and one Irish Catholic child to stay with them for a while. The idea I believe was for them to see that they have much more in common than they have differences. I suspect if you put any Christian denoms together in a cleric-ruled Muslim country, they would all quickly band together and forget their differences.
    Presbyterians, many Baptists sects, fundies in general tend towards the ignorant beliefs regarding Catholicism.

You are correct regarding both the core beliefs and what would happen in a threatening environment. As my mom used to say, "Nothing clarifies your beliefs than a threat to them." Sort of why I began this thread, after reading the hate-filled, ignorant comments on Gabby's thread.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Presbyterians, many Baptists sects, fundies in general tend towards the ignorant beliefs regarding Catholicism.

You are correct regarding both the core beliefs and what would happen in a threatening environment. As my mom used to say, "Nothing clarifies your beliefs than a threat to them." Sort of why I began this thread, after reading the hate-filled, ignorant comments on Gabby's thread.
    I don't consider them "ignorant" at all. I can't recall the last time I have read about a Presbyterian, Baptist or Methodist clergyman accused of sexual abuse of parishioners.

As for this thread itself, I don't see how any religion can be accused of "preaching hate." I would hope they would preach the general love of God.
    Some religious faiths tend to be a bit more strict in their beliefs than others. I don't recall other religions that cast out members who don't give enough money, or who violate basic tenets of faith.

My family attends a "spiritual" church. Our services are based around preaching, music and testifying about the Holy Spirit. Anyone so moved is free to clap their hands, dance or just shout "Amen!" Because that is what the love of God is about.

Attendance is not taken. There is no record kept about who gives what. Anyone is welcome to attend our services and worship our Lord and Savior.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    I don't consider them "ignorant" at all. I can't recall the last time I have read about a Presbyterian, Baptist or Methodist clergyman accused of sexual abuse of parishioners.

As for this thread itself, I don't see how any religion can be accused of "preaching hate." I would hope they would preach the general love of God.
    Some religious faiths tend to be a bit more strict in their beliefs than others. I don't recall other religions that cast out members who don't give enough money, or who violate basic tenets of faith.

My family attends a "spiritual" church. Our services are based around preaching, music and testifying about the Holy Spirit. Anyone so moved is free to clap their hands, dance or just shout "Amen!" Because that is what the love of God is about.

Attendance is not taken. There is no record kept about who gives what. Anyone is welcome to attend our services and worship our Lord and Savior.
    Protestants have more haters than any other group in the US, certainly more than Republican haters. As for problems with ministers of the holy rollers, already posted a few from the past year on the thread you started.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

ok just for the record
    whats a hater?
    Last edited by revelarts; 02-25-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Thank you for the compliment. There are however churches that fit the description of what you "don't recall". It seems you have never crossed paths with the Boston Church of Christ.

http://www.cultwatch.com/icc.html
    Last edited by tailfins; 02-25-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

BAPTIST

http://www.abpnews.com/ministry/peop...l#.USv0F_Ji31A

http://stopbaptistpredators.org/scandals/bellevue.html

http://www.bilerico.com/2010/04/the_...tholic_cle.php

Gabby, you just hate Catholics.... admit it...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    ok just for the record
    whats a hater?
    As I'm using it, folks that think they have been 'saved' and know what God wants. Thus they feel compelled to let those not of their sect, know that they are condemned, unless they view God, the Bible, indeed the world through their vision. Share the vision or you are condemned to hell.

Truly it's something to behold, quite logical if one accepts the premises they've been inculcated with. They can't be 'hateful' as they are trying to 'SAVE.' Lots of similarities to extreme atheists in logic.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

As I'm using it, folks that think they have been 'saved' and know what God wants. Thus they feel compelled to let those not of their sect, know that they are condemned, unless they view God, the Bible, indeed the world through their vision. Share the vision or you are condemned to hell.

Truly it's something to behold, quite logical if one accepts the premises they've been inculcated with. They can't be 'hateful' as they are trying to 'SAVE.' Lots of similarities to extreme atheists in logic.
    ok
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

but um don't Catholics think that, lets say, an atheist or voodoo practitioner might be in danger of hell and should maybe... possibly... think about not doing voodoo anymore and become a christian.

Are Catholics haters then too .. a little bit... maybe?
    or does it only apply to protestants who want draw the circle tighter?
    Last edited by revelarts; 02-25-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    but um don't Catholics think that say an atheist or voodoo practitioner might be in danger of hell and should maybe possibly think about not doing voodo anymore and become a christian.

Are cathilics haters then .. a little bit... maybe.
    or does it only apply to protestants who want draw the circle tighter.
    Actually not so much. While one is 'saved' through Christ's sacrifice, ultimately only God knows one's heart, man cannot presume to do so.

For Catholics the concern is for oneself and one's soul. Can't prove we're saved or not, it's up to God, who's given us the path, it's up to us to follow.

So why do Catholics give and support so many different missions, financially and through personal sacrifice? It's what is taught. 'The least of my brothers.' Truth is Spanish missionaries were condemned by many Catholics as they forced 'conversions' on the indigenous people of the New World and In Africa, and in China. The Church can and should provide education, medical support, etc., without any force involved. If people want to know more about the religion, the bibles and classes are there.

In modern times in US, the Church began Marriage Encounters and many other ecumenical programs, without any attempts at conversion, indeed, the whole idea of 'evangelizing' for the Catholic Church is through works and examples, not through threats of damnation.

Personally have always thought, as an adult anyways, that fundies have a problem with the Church finding all but the gospels as being interpretive. That's just my take.

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Robert A Whit

What apostasy calls? Did you mean condemning Catholics above?

They don't need to do things like that. It makes them look bad.
    No. The accusation that Catholics are heretics, leading others to perdition. See, 'they worship idols,' 'they are a false religion,' 'They are not Christian,' goes on and on. As I said, they were raised in the environment of hate, they believe they are doing 'God's work' by pointing such out. Really.
    You had said conform and I suspected you meant to say condemned. Visit your other comment.

Now that you bring up the worship of idols and saints and such. I understand what you are talking about. I can't see that matters at all to God if it be true.

Though I am a non practicing LDS, it seems to me that this fighting your church or others is not productive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Actually not so much. While one is 'saved' through Christ's sacrifice, ultimately only God knows one's heart, man cannot presume to do so.

For Catholics the concern is for oneself and one's soul. Can't prove we're saved or not, it's up to God, who's given us the path, it's up to us to follow.

So why do Catholics give and support so many different missions, financially and through personal sacrifice? It's what is taught. 'The least of my brothers.' Truth is Spanish missionaries were condemned by many Catholics as they forced 'conversions' on the indigenous people of the New World and In Africa, and in China. The Church can and should provide education, medical support, etc., without any force involved. If people want to know more about the religion, the bibles and classes are there.

In modern times in US, the Church began Marriage Encounters and many other ecumenical programs, without any attempts at conversion, indeed, the whole idea of 'evangelizing' for the Catholic Church is through works and examples, not through threats of damnation.

Personally have always thought, as an adult anyways, that fundies have a problem with the Church finding all but the gospels as being interpretive. That's just my take.
    Ok 1st of all, do i get to make up a cool name to Catholics? 'Fundies' dripping with the example of Jesus love it .. c'mon Kath.

But to your points, Ok so your saying that TODAY, most Catholics don't think they need to evangelize anymore. just do good works and let people come in if they want to.
    If that's your take on it fine. I hear you.
    But i guess the question i still have is Do the voodoo priest and the atheist go to heaven if they flatly refuse to believe in Jesus Christ?
    or ,in your opinion of what the Roman Catholic teaches, is it more a good works thing , Jesus is a take it or leave it option now a days.
    Just do good and God is ,more than likely but u can't be sure, happy to have you in heaven?

I think you probably know my view and i'm not going to get into a debate with you on it here.
    i really just want to clear be i understand what you believe.
    Last edited by revelarts; 02-25-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    You had said conform and I suspected you meant to say condemned. Visit your other comment.

Now that you bring up the worship of idols and saints and such. I understand what you are talking about. I can't see that matters at all to God if it be true.

Though I am a non practicing LDS, it seems to me that this fighting your church or others is not productive.
    I don't really understand your point here, other than to be involved. I am not finding the 'conform' issue you lead off with, but perhaps you can link up?

I didn't mention saints, that is you.

As for idols, I know what I meant, not sure you are speaking of the same.

Personally, I think all fighting between religions is wrong, but there are times that one stands up for one's own. I'm not 'fighting' with anyone, just said that I find those that preach hatred in greatest numbers, at least in the US, to be Protestants.

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't really understand your point here, other than to be involved. I am not finding the 'conform' issue you lead off with, but perhaps you can link up?

I didn't mention saints, that is you.

As for idols, I know what I meant, not sure you are speaking of the same.

Personally, I think all fighting between religions is wrong, but there are times that one stands up for one's own. I'm not 'fighting' with anyone, just said that I find those that preach hatred in greatest numbers, at least in the US, to be Protestants.
    Not worth your trouble to look up your own post. I believe you misspelled a word but let's not make a big deal of it. I won't. Me involved on a public forum? Perish the thought. I forgot this is an exclusive topic. You typed in conform but I believe all it was is a misspelling.

Yup, I am guilty as charged of saying saints. I had the idea some people allege that your church worships saints. I will ask a catholic who knows to try to explain it to me then. I heard of the worship of idols by your church is what I mean. Again, if wrong, some catholic that is willing can explain it to me.

I agree that the fighting is wrong. I don't know that this thing you said about protestants is true. I am sure some of that exists, but don't know just to what extent.

Frankly it is not the habit of the members of my church to do any of that.

Mom used to comment to me but seldom on the Catholics and idols and saints thing.