Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fantastic church in Barcelona Spain

This Catholic church is used today but is still being built. It is expected it may take up to 30 more years to finish. When done, (see photo below) there will be a central tower rising to 3 feet below the highest peak in the area so as to not build something higher than what God built. I believe but may be wrong, that at the top height, it will rise over 1000 feet tall. I saw on TV the interior and the past Pope came to this site and blessed it so it could be used. They have about 1000 in the choir so you can imagine the interior size. Barcelona is on the East coast of Spain. I had planned to visit this city till other circumstances interfered when I was in Germany.

You will read the below from Wikipedia.

The Basílica i Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Família (English: Basilica and Expiatory Church of the Holy Family; Spanish: Basílica y Templo Expiatorio de la Sagrada Familia), commonly known as the Sagrada Família (<small>Catalan pronunciation: </small>[səˈɣɾađə fəˈmiɫiə]), is a large Roman Catholic church in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain, designed by Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí (1852–1926). Although incomplete, the church is a UNESCO World Heritage Site,[5] and in November 2010 was consecrated and proclaimed a minor basilica by Pope Benedict XVI.[6][7][8]
    Though construction of Sagrada Família had commenced in 1882, Gaudí became involved in 1883,[5] taking over the project and transforming it with his architectural and engineering style—combining Gothic and curvilinear Art Nouveau forms.
    Gaudí devoted his last years to the project, and at the time of his death in 1926, less than a quarter of the project was complete.[9] Sagrada Família's construction progressed slowly, as it relied on private donations and was interrupted by the Spanish Civil War—only to resume intermittent progress in the 1950s. Construction passed the midpoint in 2010 with some of the project's greatest challenges remaining[9] and an anticipated completion date of 2026—the centennial of Gaudí's death. The basílica has a long history of dividing the citizens of Barcelona—over the initial possibility it might compete with Barcelona's cathedral, over Gaudí's design itself,[10] over the possibility that work after Gaudí's death disregarded his design,[10] and the recent possibility that an underground tunnel of Spain's high-speed train could disturb its stability.[11]

Sagrada_Familia_01.jpg
    Last edited by Robert A Whit; 03-11-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Robert. Believe it or not. I visited Barcelona back in the 80's, while still in the Navy.
    I walked through that Church, got a couple post cards. And, outside. They had an
    explanation about how long the church has been under construction.
    Even then. They said it would probably take another 30 years. So, it looks like
    it will never be completed.
    I do remember the thousands of tiny pieces of colored, stained glass being used
    almost everywhere you look.
    By the way. We were there a few years after the Olympics were held there too!
    It is a great city.
    Check out the Sidewalk ART WORK along the avenues in the center of the city.
    Fantastic stuff.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Robert. Believe it or not. I visited Barcelona back in the 80's, while still in the Navy.
    I walked through that Church, got a couple post cards. And, outside. They had an
    explanation about how long the church has been under construction.
    Even then. They said it would probably take another 30 years. So, it looks like
    it will never be completed.
    I do remember the thousands of tiny pieces of colored, stained glass being used
    almost everywhere you look.
    By the way. We were there a few years after the Olympics were held there too!
    It is a great city.
    Check out the Sidewalk ART WORK along the avenues in the center of the city.
    Fantastic stuff.
    Even In Germany the guys were very high on going to Barcelona. That is one reason I wanted to go there. I just heard of this church in the past day or two. Imagine if you can, all the improvements to make it usable today. You sure hit the big time visiting that site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Robert. Here it is on video. Not quite as good as in person.

So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Thank you

I wish this monitor was as large as my TV where i saw it yesterday.

That small video is awesome. Reminds me somewhat of the Cologne Cathedral though they don't look the same at a distance. And this video does not quite look like what I saw on TV. The inside is awesome. A huge area of polished stone floors I believe. When I was in Germany I tried to get a good look at some of their huge churches. I will try to find more of that church.

I recall some columns with slanted windows up the outside. But on TV the front of the church probably is what you showed here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Wrong cathedral in Barcelona

I did not think it was the same church but got an idea perhaps it was not the main entry I had seen.

Below is the correct cathedral.

Sagrada 2.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

the video is NOT the same cathedral.....one of the links at the end is to a video of the top ten places to visit in Barcelona......the one in the video was on the list, but the one in Robert's picture was number one.....
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 03-13-2013 at 07:42 AM.
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    This Catholic church is used today but is still being built. It is expected it may take up to 30 more years to finish. When done, (see photo below) there will be a central tower rising to 3 feet below the highest peak in the area so as to not build something higher than what God built. I believe but may be wrong, that at the top height, it will rise over 1000 feet tall. I saw on TV the interior and the past Pope came to this site and blessed it so it could be used. They have about 1000 in the choir so you can imagine the interior size. Barcelona is on the East coast of Spain. I had planned to visit this city till other circumstances interfered when I was in Germany.

You will read the below from Wikipedia.

The Basílica i Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Família (English: Basilica and Expiatory Church of the Holy Family; Spanish: Basílica y Templo Expiatorio de la Sagrada Familia), commonly known as the Sagrada Família (<small>Catalan pronunciation: </small>[səˈɣɾađə fəˈmiɫiə]), is a large Roman Catholic church in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain, designed by Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí (1852–1926). Although incomplete, the church is a UNESCO World Heritage Site,[5] and in November 2010 was consecrated and proclaimed a minor basilica by Pope Benedict XVI.[6][7][8]
    Though construction of Sagrada Família had commenced in 1882, Gaudí became involved in 1883,[5] taking over the project and transforming it with his architectural and engineering style—combining Gothic and curvilinear Art Nouveau forms.
    Gaudí devoted his last years to the project, and at the time of his death in 1926, less than a quarter of the project was complete.[9] Sagrada Família's construction progressed slowly, as it relied on private donations and was interrupted by the Spanish Civil War—only to resume intermittent progress in the 1950s. Construction passed the midpoint in 2010 with some of the project's greatest challenges remaining[9] and an anticipated completion date of 2026—the centennial of Gaudí's death. The basílica has a long history of dividing the citizens of Barcelona—over the initial possibility it might compete with Barcelona's cathedral, over Gaudí's design itself,[10] over the possibility that work after Gaudí's death disregarded his design,[10] and the recent possibility that an underground tunnel of Spain's high-speed train could disturb its stability.[11]

Sagrada_Familia_01.jpg
    When the Islamists rule Spain(soon) they will likely destroy that abomination ! As the are destroying Christian holy sites all over the world now. Any place they gain control the do that.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    When the Islamists rule Spain(soon) they will likely destroy that abomination ! As the are destroying Christian holy sites all over the world now. Any place they gain control the do that.
    One can't rule that out Tyr. We must recall the many churches they built Minerettes over.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    the video is NOT the same cathedral.....one of the links at the end is to a video of the top ten places to visit in Barcelona......the one in the video was on the list, but the one in Robert's picture was number one.....

Postmodern. Yeah. I just realized that as I was reading your post. I picked the wrong video while looking. Wish I had had access to such a camera at the time I was there. Only got a postcard, and a few pictures on my little Kodak at the time.

I'll find a vid if I can.

Last edited by aboutime; 03-13-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default I gave you plenty of ammo AT and even showed you a photo

But in your addled state of mind, no doubt from watching too much Jeopardy rather than paying attention here, you managed to locate some other church and brag it was the one I posed about.

Gong gong gong. You can't remember a damned thing.

Took you three tries to get it right and I had to lead you to it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    But in your addled state of mind, no doubt from watching too much Jeopardy rather than paying attention here, you managed to locate some other church and brag it was the one I posed about.

Gong gong gong. You can't remember a damned thing.

Took you three tries to get it right and I had to lead you to it.

Robert. Were you born a TOTAL ASSHOLE, or did you spend many years working to be expert at it???
    So, this is for them.