Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default Watching The Catholic Church stuff

I love the people of the catholic church. As an organization the Catholic Church has done more GOOD for this planet than perhaps any other organization...

Here's where I struggle - I'm unsure how to watch them; their ceremony and all that - and relate ANY of it to Christ. How can all THAT - the robes and strolling and order and propper and all that religion-stuff relate to the ministery of Christ Jesus. That is, I suppose, to ask - I simply cannot imagine Christ suddenly appearing as flesh and blood and getting into those things. What am I missing?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    I love the people of the catholic church. As an organization the Catholic Church has done more GOOD for this planet than perhaps any other organization...

Here's where I struggle - I'm unsure how to watch them; their ceremony and all that - and relate ANY of it to Christ. How can all THAT - the robes and strolling and order and propper and all that religion-stuff relate to the ministery of Christ Jesus. That is, I suppose, to ask - I simply cannot imagine Christ suddenly appearing as flesh and blood and getting into those things. What am I missing?
    that is the question that keeps many of us from really getting behind the church.

When the church puts the people ahead of money and influence we'll be back.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have always said....if THAT is poverty, ill take some please.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Addressing cardinals in the frescoed Sistine Chapel the day after his election there, Jorge Bergoglio said the Church should be more focused on the Gospels of Jesus Christ.

"We can walk all we want, we can build many things, but if we don't proclaim Jesus Christ, something is wrong. We would become a compassionate NGO and not a Church which is the bride of Christ," he said, speaking in Italian without notes.
    The first non-European pope in 1,300 years, Bergoglio's initial steps suggested he would bring a new style to the papacy, favoring humility and simplicity over pomp, grandeur and ambition among its top officials.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92D05P20130314

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've wondered about that. I have to ask, do the clergy still take vows of poverty? I only ask because I have a close friend who is a Catholic Priest. He is living alot nicer than I am. Personally, I dont have a problem when people live nicely, but sometimes I am asking myself, isnt he supposed to have vowed poverty?

I mean no offense to my Catholic friends here with this question. I just don't know it. If they aren't vowing poverty, I understand. But I thought they were. What exactly is poverty for priesthood standards anyway?
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

You know the Catholic Church must be on the side of goodness and right (along with Evangelical Christians) when the Left aims all of its vitriol and hatred towards it.

Like Churchill said.. if you have enemies that means that somewhere along the line, you stood up for something.
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    I've wondered about that. I have to ask, do the clergy still take vows of poverty? I only ask because I have a close friend who is a Catholic Priest. He is living alot nicer than I am. Personally, I dont have a problem when people live nicely, but sometimes I am asking myself, isnt he supposed to have vowed poverty?

I mean no offense to my Catholic friends here with this question. I just don't know it. If they aren't vowing poverty, I understand. But I thought they were. What exactly is poverty for priesthood standards anyway?
    Certain orders do, Franciscans I believe. Most do not take vow of poverty.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I am not Catholic but I'll not criticize the Catholic church because it is the largest Christian church.. Has it perhaps gone astray a bit? MANY THINK YES IT HAS.. However that does not mean that it is not a Christian body. Christians must be more forgiving of perceived errors made by their brothers and sisters in Christ.
    Catholic church believes in the TRINITY-- The Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
    That's enough for me to hold my tongue and let God be the judge. My advice is for others to follow that ...-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    I am not Catholic but I'll not criticize the Catholic church because it is the largest Christian church.. Has it perhaps gone astray a bit? MANY THINK YES IT HAS.. However that does not mean that it is not a Christian body. Christians must be more forgiving of perceived errors made by their brothers and sisters in Christ.
    Catholic church believes in the TRINITY-- The Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
    That's enough for me to hold my tongue and let God be the judge. My advice is for others to follow that ...-Tyr
    Not sure it really matters to God, but the Mormon church also believes in God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost as we call him.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I'm not Catholic either; their rites and traditions are very interesting to me because I recognize that they are very old. There is a lot of symbology that I am ignorant of that mean things - a dramatic sweep of the arm on a particular phrase, folding a blood-red silk cloth in a very particular fashion, then a white one, the candles, etc.

I was talking to my girlfriend about the Catholic rituals a few months ago, she was raised Episcopal and is familiar with much of it since the two branches are very closely related.

We were discussing why it is that it's always the Catholic or Episcopal church is approached for help with a demonic possession, instead of one of the many other branches of Christian faith. I've watched a lot of documentaries and read books about exorcism, and while some other branches were approached initially, almost invariably they are referred to the Catholics. Every one of the other ministers / priests / pastors of other branches that attempted exorcism failed, and the only thing I (as a non-practicing protestant) can see different is that the Catholics have a very strict ritual that they adhere to, and they take it very seriously indeed.

So my guess is that with the huge event of a new Pope, their age-old rituals carry power and meaning that isn't readily transparent to observers.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I'm not Catholic either; their rites and traditions are very interesting to me because I recognize that they are very old. There is a lot of symbology that I am ignorant of that mean things - a dramatic sweep of the arm on a particular phrase, folding a blood-red silk cloth in a very particular fashion, then a white one, the candles, etc.

I was talking to my girlfriend about the Catholic rituals a few months ago, she was raised Episcopal and is familiar with much of it since the two branches are very closely related.

We were discussing why it is that it's always the Catholic or Episcopal church is approached for help with a demonic possession, instead of one of the many other branches of Christian faith. I've watched a lot of documentaries and read books about exorcism, and while some other branches were approached initially, almost invariably they are referred to the Catholics. Every one of the other ministers / priests / pastors of other branches that attempted exorcism failed, and the only thing I (as a non-practicing protestant) can see different is that the Catholics have a very strict ritual that they adhere to, and they take it very seriously indeed.

So my guess is that with the huge event of a new Pope, their age-old rituals carry power and meaning that isn't readily transparent to observers.
    Do you believe in that mumbo jumbo stuff some Catholics are alleged to do?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    Mumbo jumbo?

An exorcism is authorized by the Catholic Church after an investigation to rule out mental illness, drug use and other mundane causes. Most requests are dismissed.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tell that to the thousands of children abused by them and the cover up of that fact and to the millions killed by the crusades.
    اشهد ان لا اله الا الله و اشهد ان محمدا رسول الله

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    i did not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    You mean the gifts of the Spirit? You really need to study the scriptures more.

Quote Originally Posted by jafar00 View Post
    Tell that to the thousands of children abused by them and the cover up of that fact and to the millions killed by the crusades.
    You mean the millions killed by Jihad? Because the crusades were a reaction to that invasion.

In other words, don't complain when your people get killed in a war you start.

At least they don't strap bombs to children... or behead people who disagree with them

Seriously people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jafar00 View Post
    Go fuck off in another thread - This thread is not for you.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.