Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Threads like this remind me about how right my father's advice was, so many years ago when he reminded me, my brothers, and sister about Never arguing about Politics, or Religion.

Look at how many unanswered, unanswerable questions surface with those two topics.

Wish I had listened to my Dad. But then. If all of us listened to that kind of advice.

The Internet would be useless.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Threads like this remind me about how right my father's advice was, so many years ago when he reminded me, my brothers, and sister about Never arguing about Politics, or Religion. Look at how many unanswered, unanswerable questions surface with those two topics. Wish I had listened to my Dad. But then. If all of us listened to that kind of advice. The Internet would be useless.
    I agree with him regarding religion. In my saner moments I skip any in that forum.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Threads like this remind me about how right my father's advice was, so many years ago when he reminded me, my brothers, and sister about Never arguing about Politics, or Religion.

Look at how many unanswered, unanswerable questions surface with those two topics.

Wish I had listened to my Dad. But then. If all of us listened to that kind of advice.

Worse still we'd all be morons, always argue, always debate, never be satisfied. Don't accept and don't avoid.

A question may not have an answer, that does not mean that a discussion with not yield other answers, or sharpen your wits.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Worse still we'd all be morons, always argue, always debate, never be satisfied. Don't accept and don't avoid.

A question may not have an answer, that does not mean that a discussion with not yield other answers, or sharpen your wits.

Seems like everyone has accomplished that Noir. Try it yourself, as my father told me. Then tell all of us WHEN you became the Perfect, Unquestionable person with all of the right answers to every discussion about politics, and religion.
    Truth is. There are NO right, or wrong answers...just ask yourself.
    So, this is for them.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Then tell all of us WHEN you became the Perfect, Unquestionable person with all of the right answers to every discussion about politics, and religion.
    That is the exact opposite of what my post is about. How you got this from what i posted... i have no idea.

The only people that don't debate, discuss, and argue politics or philosophy, are the ones who've decided they are right/unquestionable etc, and so it's not worth wasting their time on an actual discussion. (That is not to say that those people exclusively avoid/ignore debates.)
    Last edited by Noir; 03-26-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post

some folks have an easier time doing that than others.
    religion and politics seem to run close to the nerves of identity and world view and i guess it's difficult to really wrestle with them at times. Seems most people would rather have peace than to correct or be corrected or even explore to deeply questions that might alter an ID or world view. or explore answers we may or may not like. It's uncomfortable and sometimes depressing or scary.

often, To me at least, thinking about both subjects and listening to the various outlooks is not only vital but fun, espesially when looked at in the abstract. the greatest puzzles of all. the wildest opinions, whats real, can we know?

But often it is personal, but not all comments about the subjects need to be taken as attacks, it seems to me.

As i said before I don't mind various opinions but if we both are looking at a double decker bus don't try to tell me it is a cat because they both move. That's when i get offended.
    the conversation is already broken when objective items can't even be agreed on.
    Last edited by revelarts; 03-26-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I am intent on saving you from inconsistency......
    God is the only one who can save any of us from inconsistency. or anything else for that matter.

i dont think anything is unanswerable. It's just a matter of putting in the time and going to the source.

Seems like everyone has accomplished that Noir. Try it yourself, as my father told me. Then tell all of us WHEN you became the Perfect, Unquestionable person with all of the right answers to every discussion about politics, and religion.
    Truth is. There are NO right, or wrong answers...just ask yourself.
    If there were no right or wrong answers, there would be no point to search.

The Lord says "Ask and ye shall recieve. Seek and ye shall find". He also said through His Apostle: "If any of you lack wisdom, let Him ask of God, who gives to all men liberally and upbraideth not and it shall be given unto Him."

I think we as individuals and a society lose out on a lot of knowledge and wisdom that could otherwise be ours if we sought the Lord and listened to Him.

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    some folks have an easier time doing that than others.
    religion and politics seem to run close to the nerves of identity and world view and i guess it's difficult to really wrestle with them at times. Seems most people would rather have peace than to correct or be corrected or even explore to deeply questions that might alter an ID or world view. or explore answers we may or may not like. It's uncomfortable and sometimes depressing or scary.

often, To me at least, thinking about both subjects and listening to the various outlooks is not only vital but fun, espesially when looked at in the abstract. the greatest puzzles of all. the wildest opinions, whats real, can we know?

But often it is personal, but not all comments about the subjects need to be taken as attacks, it seems to me.

As i said before I don't mind various opinions but if we both are looking at a double decker bus don't try to tell me it is a cat because they both move. That's when i get offended.
    the conversation is already broken when objective items can't even be agreed on.
    Unfortunately topics where emotions run deep can be difficult to discuss. That doesn't mean discussing them doesnt accomplish anything.

Heck, a lot of the things I learn in our discussions is how to keep my passions in check.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I disagree....most of the people who haven't got a clue what they believe in are in that situation because they've never bothered to argue an issue with anyone.....not to mention the folks who believe really, really stupid things because they simply accept whatever someone tells them.....
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 03-26-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    ...full immersion.....

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    dmp, symantic games? I think you'd agree that sin is serious, Christ die for it. it's no game in my mind.
    as far as understanding what yours saying, dmp , well don't assume that because I think you are wrong that i don't comprehend what your trying to say.
    as if i'm blocking some great truth that your trying to impart but i'm to stubborn to embrace.
    I just think your position is inconsistent, that it denies important realities of spiritual life and is unbiblical in a significant area.

pointing out those facts and trying to clarify your use of words, definitions and applications,
    then comparing that to what the bible says and my own understanding is not gothca it is very honest discussion.

And also, covering uncomfortable truths with agreeable polite talk is not always love.
    It's a serious problem - sin - that's been beaten. Like polio.

You are blocking learning what I believe - I suppose I don't care if you think it's truth - but I think many people make knowing God's heart much more difficult than it has to be.

It's as simple as this: Accept the Grace God gives. Stop living as if you have to stop 'doing sin' - because what we do or don't do is driven by our heart's desire. Focus solely on our heart for God and others, and every other thing will be taken care of. The cause of our sin, like the method of our salvation, is our hearts.

Loving God means no more sin. doesn't mean no mistakes, means no more sin. Christ extolled many to 'sin no more' - because it's probably possible if we stop charting behaviour, and start only monitoring our heart conditions.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I disagree....most of the people who haven't got a clue what they believe in are in that situation because they've never bothered to argue an issue with anyone.....not to mention the folks who believe really, really stupid things because they simply accept whatever someone tells them.....

PostmodernProphet. One word describes, and perfectly identifies what you are talking about. And that word is EDUCATION.

More precisely, the LACK of EDUCATION is the reason they have no clue, and are unable, if not unwilling to argue.
    On the other hand. EDUCATION can be the honorable method to prevent arguments. If people are willing to be smart enough to
    understand...everyone else demands...ONLY THEY ARE SMART enough to know the right answers to everything.

Just ask anyone. Most people love to talk about how SMART they Think they are. And the argument that follows proves them wrong.
    So, this is for them.

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PostmodernProphet. One word describes, and perfectly identifies what you are talking about. And that word is EDUCATION.

More precisely, the LACK of EDUCATION is the reason they have no clue, and are unable, if not unwilling to argue.
    On the other hand. EDUCATION can be the honorable method to prevent arguments. If people are willing to be smart enough to
    understand...everyone else demands...ONLY THEY ARE SMART enough to know the right answers to everything.

Just ask anyone. Most people love to talk about how SMART they Think they are. And the argument that follows proves them wrong.
    Is there any subject that you don't come out arguing with posters over?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    Is there any subject that you don't come out arguing with posters over?

Are you fucking kidding me?
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Are you fucking kidding me?
    I don't kid about that poster.