Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I do most of my fishing on local farm ponds or public-access lakes/state parks. Fishing from a boat is OK, but I really dig hitting the docks at first light with a cigar and a thermos of hot coffee. Doesn't really matter if I catch anything or not, there's just something immensely calming about the dawn on the lake. Spiritual, in fact. Of an early afternoon, I'll trudge around the banks in boots, jeans and a long-sleeved heavy shirt finding the "impossible" spots that most of the "amateurs" either miss or refuse to work themselves toward - lunker central!

The one thing I absolutely hate though is catching a couple of keepers and not having enough total catch to make it worthwhile to clean 'em. I refuse to clean a small catch and freeze it, I absolutely refuse!
    “Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face” - Thomas Sowell

“What "multiculturalism" boils down to is that you can praise any culture in the world except Western culture - and you cannot blame any culture in the world except Western culture” - Thomas Sowell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CockySOB View Post
    I do most of my fishing on local farm ponds or public-access lakes/state parks. Fishing from a boat is OK, but I really dig hitting the docks at first light with a cigar and a thermos of hot coffee. Doesn't really matter if I catch anything or not, there's just something immensely calming about the dawn on the lake. Spiritual, in fact. Of an early afternoon, I'll trudge around the banks in boots, jeans and a long-sleeved heavy shirt finding the "impossible" spots that most of the "amateurs" either miss or refuse to work themselves toward - lunker central!

The one thing I absolutely hate though is catching a couple of keepers and not having enough total catch to make it worthwhile to clean 'em. I refuse to clean a small catch and freeze it, I absolutely refuse!
    Yer one of 'us'!
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another thing I dig about the docks on weekends is the fact that families bring their kids down to fish. Now most vacationers can't tell scrub brush from a planted crib, but us regulars do! If I see the kids having a rough time of it, I'll usually make a comment to the parent that the kids should "cast over [there]" or "set the bobber depth to [whatever]" and whatnot.

Best I did last year was a two-fer. Mom had her son and daughter down at the docks using earthworms (not even nightcrawlers) and bobbers set about 4 inches deep." They weren't catching a thing except the occasional bluegill or sunfish. I pulled the mom aside and rigged her with a cheap little grub spinner and told her to cast straight off the dock to the center of the water, and gave her a cadence to count while reeling in. First cast, she landed a 12 inch largemouth bass. Fourth cast, a 10 incher. LOL! Her son could never get the cadence right, but he tried for a while before going back to the worm and bobbber. Her daughter however, showed us all up. Hock and bobber, and I'd told her to cast to the south end of the dock (deeper channel under the docks), and she landed a 24 inch, 6+ pound largemouth! Watching a kid light up like that after crapping their pants when the rod bends over on em... It's a trip.

Reminds me, I need to give the lady a call sometime. She got divorced a couple years back, and the reason I didn't hit her up then was because of a rule I have about rebounders.... Hmmm.... maybe a different kind of fishing trip is in order now?
    “Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face” - Thomas Sowell

“What "multiculturalism" boils down to is that you can praise any culture in the world except Western culture - and you cannot blame any culture in the world except Western culture” - Thomas Sowell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Another thing I dig about the docks on weekends is the fact that families bring their kids down to fish. Now most vacationers can't tell scrub brush from a planted crib, but us regulars do! If I see the kids having a rough time of it, I'll usually make a comment to the parent that the kids should "cast over [there]" or "set the bobber depth to [whatever]" and whatnot.

Best I did last year was a two-fer. Mom had her son and daughter down at the docks using earthworms (not even nightcrawlers) and bobbers set about 4 inches deep." They weren't catching a thing except the occasional bluegill or sunfish. I pulled the mom aside and rigged her with a cheap little grub spinner and told her to cast straight off the dock to the center of the water, and gave her a cadence to count while reeling in. First cast, she landed a 12 inch largemouth bass. Fourth cast, a 10 incher. LOL! Her son could never get the cadence right, but he tried for a while before going back to the worm and bobbber. Her daughter however, showed us all up. Hock and bobber, and I'd told her to cast to the south end of the dock (deeper channel under the docks), and she landed a 24 inch, 6+ pound largemouth! Watching a kid light up like that after crapping their pants when the rod bends over on em... It's a trip.

Reminds me, I need to give the lady a call sometime. She got divorced a couple years back, and the reason I didn't hit her up then was because of a rule I have about rebounders.... Hmmm.... maybe a different kind of fishing trip is in order now?

You had a great day!

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Oh I don't know, in the warm water of S. Fla it's nice to see them butts swimin out front of you while hunting the bug.
    The corollary, of course, is that most of the time we want women around.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    The corollary, of course, is that most of the time we want women around.
    Yeah, excluding women for a man only lobster/shrimp blast would be like a frat party. I think we’re all past those days. Besides someone has to cook and clean-up!

*going to hide now*

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Yeah, excluding women for a man only lobster/shrimp blast would be like a frat party. I think we’re all past those days. Besides someone has to cook and clean-up!

*going to hide now*
    I still enjoy time with my buds, either playing poker, skiing like a mad man, smoking cigars, or backpacking in the wilderness. Very few women like to do these things. Although when you find one that does, its a hell of a good time!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    I still enjoy time with my buds, either playing poker, skiing like a mad man, smoking cigars, or backpacking in the wilderness. Very few women like to do these things. Although when you find one that does, its a hell of a good time!
    I agree.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and the last time that happened was when?

Lost your job? Thank the republicans!
    Lost your house? Thank the republicans!
    Lost your life savings? Thank the republicans!
    Lost your health care? Thank the republicans!
    Lost all Hope? Thank the republicans!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmmmm I grew up fishing large mouth and small mouth, crappie and sunfish in the south east.

I worked in AK as a commercial fishermen for several seasons and no longer consider fresh water critters fish, or fishing with a line fishing.

Nets, crab pots and 1000 times the catch/hour changed my thinking.

I can take you to places in AK where you can legally catch enough meat for 10 families for a year in two hours with a dingy and a few hundred dollars or gear.

But unfortunately it is only sockeye salmon!!!! The best food in the ocean! Other than perhaps King crab.

We used to catch 100 lbs of halibut while waiting for our turn to cast nets.

When we had shrimp pots shrimp was easily obtained just by dropping a trap over board for a night.

But sea otters would steal the catch occasionally.

Tanner crab, Snow crabs, Dungeoness and Kings were just as easy.

I grew up eating catfish from dirty freshwater lakes. Never again.

but there were very few wimmen in the remote waters of AK. There were some, but not many.