Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
Jim- I took my laptop to a biz downtown and they swapped the monitor, parts and all, for less than 250$. OEM is pricey. I'm surprised that you don't have a connect with your experience in IT
None that have small businesses, unfortunately. I brought it to a few "friends" as an inquiry, and they stated outright that they would either a) send it out to Toshiba anyway or b) order a new MB as they didn't go to the component level. I'm confident that had I shopped around I might have found someone willing to do so on the cheap, but I guess I trusted the manufacturer more. I also took a chance and went to Best Buy (geek squad) and asked if they did repairs right there, and they too said they would literally ship it out to Toshiba. Then we have the local Mexican guy down the road who has his own shop called "Computers". There's like nothing in his building and he has like 3hr workdays. And yet he's been there forever. Places like that make me think I'll never see my laptop again!

Most of my contacts were in NYC and NJ. Also, almost every bot of my work was down to the board level. The 2 main players I worked for (corporate), we still ordered MB's when necessary, both desktop and laptop, we never used a soldering iron.