It saddens me to have to fork out any money for repairs, considering I've been repairing computers, hardware and software, for over 20 years now. But this is my laptop, which more or less became my sons laptop. I felt bad that he can't use it right now.

He dropped it once last year and damaged the right back corner of the laptop. It appeared to be cosmetic, and maybe a piece of plastic broke off inside and was now rattling around. No issues to speak of as far as it working though, so I left it, as laptops are generally difficult and expensive to repair.

He tells me the other day that now it won't power on. I can tell by putting the jack in and out that it's not holding the cord snuggly enough. I tried a brand new cord and a new battery, same results. The DC jack on the motherboard needs to be replaced. This will require taking out a shitload of tiny screws and small ribbob cables and taking apart the entire thing until you get to the motherboard. Then the jack needs to be soldered and removed, and a new one soldered back on. I'm not willing to send away for that part and go through hours and hours of trouble - and find out I am wrong. (I'm not wrong!).

I got an RA and sent it back to Toshiba, who replied that they now have it in their possession. If it costs me $250 or less I will go for it, anything more and I can just look into a new laptop.