Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Does "gay" mean act like opposite sex?

Honest question! I know that gay means you like someone of the same sex. But why is it that so often we see gay folks dressing or acting the part of someone of the opposite sex? Magic Johnson's son recently came out as gay. Magic is a former star NBA player for those that don't know. Here is a picture of him on the town a few nights ago:

So why the pocketbook? And the girls coat? and stockings? Look around at the video if you like, I assure you, he is more or less in drag. So my question is WHY?

(don't click "video", it's just a screenshot!)
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Honest question! I know that gay means you like someone of the same sex. But why is it that so often we see gay folks dressing or acting the part of someone of the opposite sex? Magic Johnson's son recently came out as gay. Magic is a former star NBA player for those that don't know. Here is a picture of him on the town a few nights ago:

So why the pocketbook? And the girls coat? and stockings? Look around at the video if you like, I assure you, he is more or less in drag. So my question is WHY?

Attending some Asperger support groups I know guys that prefer women but are gay because many American females are too unforgiving of impaired social skills. None of them act the opposite sex. I hate to imagine where I would be had I not visited Mexico when I was 10 and got treated like a normal person. It may just be an in-your-face kind of showing off. In the many times visiting a Latin American country, I have never felt out of place except when trying to earn money.

Last edited by tailfins; 04-03-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWww

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

If i memo right it goes something like this -

There are 4 factors of self

Gender Identity (Woman-genderqueer-man)
    Gender Expression (Feminine - Androgynous - Masculine)
    Biological sex (Female - Intersex - Male)
    Sexual orientation. (Pansexual - Hetrosexual - Asexual)

Each of them are on a sliding scale, and all of them are independent.

Magic Johnsons son seems to fall under 'feminine male homosexual' is gender identity ihs unclear.

The truly odd thing about it all is our reaction to gender expression, is that we accept women as 'tom boys' without a second thought, if a woman wants to just slack about in jeans, do the yard work at the weekends, and watch the game with a beer on Sundays, cool, if a guy wants to wear lipstick, shock!

I think theres alot to be said for the quote that went something like 'You think a man dressed as a woman is derogatory, because you think being a woman is derogatory'.
    Last edited by Noir; 04-04-2013 at 05:28 AM.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Wearing jeans, yard work, drinking a beer - NOTHING like a man wearing lipstick! One is commonplace and something both sexes do so often, that it's not out of place. Men wearing lipstick, pocketbooks, stockings - VERY unusual and an extreme minority, unlike the examples you gave.

I don't think women are derogatory, not even close, so your quote sucks! Thinking someone who's brain is messed up to the point that they act and dress like the opposite sex, has nothing at all to do with what I think of the opposite sex. I LOVE women, in many ways, from lust to love and everything in between. But that hardly means I should/would like a man who tries to be a woman.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Wearing jeans, yard work, drinking a beer - NOTHING like a man wearing lipstick! One is commonplace and something both sexes do so often, that it's not out of place. Men wearing lipstick, pocketbooks, stockings - VERY unusual and an extreme minority, unlike the examples you gave.

I don't think women are derogatory, not even close, so your quote sucks! Thinking someone who's brain is messed up to the point that they act and dress like the opposite sex, has nothing at all to do with what I think of the opposite sex. I LOVE women, in many ways, from lust to love and everything in between. But that hardly means I should/would like a man who tries to be a woman.
    If you were in the Sing Sing Correctional Facility you might.
    Last edited by tailfins; 04-04-2013 at 07:10 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

But thats the whole point, women being 'tomboys' is considered normal, and 'nothing like' a man being more effeminate...

The quote doesn't suck, a man dressed as a woman faces more prejudice than a woman dressed manly. Why is that? Are all woman 'tomboys' brains 'messed up' because of the way they dress?
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    If i memo right it goes something like this -

There are 4 factors of self

Gender Identity (Woman-genderqueer-man)
    Gender Expression (Feminine - Androgynous - Masculine)
    Biological sex (Female - Intersex - Male)
    Sexual orientation. (Pansexual - Hetrosexual - Asexual)

I think theres alot to be said for the quote that went something like 'You think a man dressed as a woman is derogatory, because you think being a woman is derogatory'.
    A truly dumbass quote . Maybe in a very few cases would that statement be true. Most men think it derogatory simply because it is. Has nothing to do with thinking "being a woman" is derogatory. That is in the same boat as is -All men are dogs! Both untrue.
    Any guy dressing like a woman has a mental problem but that does not translate into -- its really the problem of those that refuse to accept it as normal behavior.
    Reality suxs for some people but trying to excuse them and their behavior by accusing others is pure crap.-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post

A truly dumbass quote . Maybe in a very few cases would that statement be true. Most men think it derogatory simply because it is. Has nothing to do with thinking "being a woman" is derogatory. That is in the same boat as is -All men are dogs! Both untrue.
    Any guy dressing like a woman has a mental problem but that does not translate into -- its really the problem of those that refuse to accept it as normal behavior.
    Reality suxs for some people but trying to excuse them and their behavior by accusing others is pure crap.-Tyr
    So a guy dressing like a woman has mental issues.

What about a woman dressing as a guy? Same mental issues?

Also 'its derogatory because it is' is the reasoning of a child, not an actual reason.
    Last edited by Noir; 04-04-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

But thats the whole point, women being 'tomboys' is considered normal, and 'nothing like' a man being more effeminate...
    The actions that make a woman a tomboy are actions that are not unique to men, but not as many women get involved. Playing sports, drinking beer, yard work... Now DRESSING in clothing and makeup that ONLY women wear, that's totally different.

The quote doesn't suck, a man dressed as a woman faces more prejudice than a woman dressed manly. Why is that? Are all woman 'tomboys' brains 'messed up' because of the way they dress?
    'You think a man dressed as a woman is derogatory, because you think being a woman is derogatory'.

I think a man dressed as a woman is gross, but whatever. But that in NO WAY at all means I think of women a certain way. It means I think of men who dress as women a certain way. No connection.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Also 'its derogatory because it is' is the reasoning of a child, not an actual reason.
    A woman wearing jeans, a NHL jersey and drinking beer isn't dressing as a guy.

If a woman goes to a wedding dressed in a tuxedo, while her partner wears a dress, then I would say the same thing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Don't you think a woman deserves a break? Do you REALLY expect her to wear a dress as she runs the sweeper or cleans the oven?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

A woman wearing jeans, a NHL jersey and drinking beer isn't dressing as a guy.

If a woman goes to a wedding dressed in a tuxedo, while her partner wears a dress, then I would say the same thing.
    So when Princess Diana wore a tux, mentally ill? Sick?

Again i think you're really missing the point that one, not both, are seen as normal, which makes no sense.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

So when Princess Diana wore a tux, mentally ill? Sick?

Again i think you're really missing the point that one, not both, are seen as normal, which makes no sense.
    I recently read that she dressed in drag once too, in order to go to a gay bar with her friends without being noticed!

But no, I don't think she was ill. She didn't try to marry someone in that outfit, she wasn't with a same sex partner walking down the road. While I don't like her fashion statement, she wasn't trying to be a man. So many today that wear the opposite sex clothing are transgenders and the 'other person' in a same sex relationship.

Men are expected to dress like men, boys like boys. Women are expected to dress like women, and girls like girls. Why don't more and more parents send their little boys to school in dresses? You're being purposely obtuse for the sake of an argument. I'm not saying that these people shouldn't be able to do what they do, but I'm trying to understand. I thought gay was about liking someone of the same sex, not liking someone of the same sex because I feel more like the opposite sex. That would be an entirely new element to add to the equation. And yes, if someone truly feels that they need to dress as the opposite sex as part of their relationship, then I think that there head got screwed on the wrong way somehow.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Nope, my dad still wears his yankees cap, flanel shirts, jeans, and work boots. That is not GAY, that's transvestite. What always bothers me is when someone comes out, and they stop talking like themselves, acting stereotypically gay, and raising their voice two octaves. That's not you getting in touch with who you really are, that's you approving a really horrible stereotype by becoming it.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org