Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Jesus Portrait Taken Down In Ohio Middle School

It's been there since 1947. Yes, I understand it's a public school. I just think it's a shame that one day our kids will go to schools that look like prisons minus the bars, just a flat color and a stool. Businesses will soon follow. Something offends everyone and the answer to being offended is to sue. What a shitty world this is turning into. I'm glad I got to go to schools when they were normal.

Outside of promotion and separation - I would love to know how someone is harmed by this. What it boils down to, is someone simply disagreeing with Christ and wanting it removed to prove a point. There's no one being harmed in the slightest bit. But I know 'legally' that it likely wouldn't matter anyway. IMO though, nothing is being promoted and no one harmed. If someone says that it simply hanging there is promotion - show me ONE person over the years that became a Catholic or made ANY choice based on that picture (other than the choice to file suit)

CINCINNATI -- A Jesus portrait that has hung in a southern Ohio school district since 1947 was taken down Wednesday, because of concerns about the potential costs of a federal lawsuit against its display.

The superintendent of Jackson City Schools said the decision was made after the district's insurance company declined to cover litigation expenses. He said the faculty adviser and two student members of the Hi-Y Club, a Christian-based service club that the school says owns the portrait, took it down at his direction.

"At the end of the day, we just couldn't roll the dice with taxpayer money," Superintendent Phil Howard told The Associated Press. "When you get into these kinds of legal battles, you're not talking about money you can raise with bake sales and car washes. It's not fair to take those resources from our kids' education."

The American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio and the Madison, Wis.-based Freedom from Religion Foundation had sued on behalf of a student and two parents, calling the portrait an unconstitutional promotion of religion in a public school. The student and parents weren't identified publicly by the groups, saying they would face backlash from portrait supporters, some of whom had suggested that they should leave town and find another school.

An ACLU spokesman said the school disclosed its decision at a federal court hearing Tuesday in Columbus. The organization will wait to see whether the portrait stays down.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3006643.html

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I bet if they offered enough the school would let them put up a Coke logo.......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I bet if they offered enough the school would let them put up a Coke logo.......
    As a Pepsi person, I'd sue.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    As a Pepsi person, I'd sue.
    And then I would sue you!

Can we sue people for suing? Or is that a protected right? People that sue too much make me angry and give me anxiety. Is that reason enough to sue?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    It's been there since 1947. Yes, I understand it's a public school. I just think it's a shame that one day our kids will go to schools that look like prisons minus the bars, just a flat color and a stool. Businesses will soon follow. Something offends everyone and the answer to being offended is to sue. What a shitty world this is turning into. I'm glad I got to go to schools when they were normal.

Outside of promotion and separation - I would love to know how someone is harmed by this. What it boils down to, is someone simply disagreeing with Christ and wanting it removed to prove a point. There's no one being harmed in the slightest bit. But I know 'legally' that it likely wouldn't matter anyway. IMO though, nothing is being promoted and no one harmed. If someone says that it simply hanging there is promotion - show me ONE person over the years that became a Catholic or made ANY choice based on that picture (other than the choice to file suit)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3006643.html

i would want the picture taken down...... religion has no place in public schools.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Syrenn View Post
    i would want the picture taken down...... religion has no place in public schools.
    I agree, only based on the law which agrees. In "the real world" though, I have no issue with it, as no one is hurt, no one harmed, no one converted, not even anyone being taught. And if I thought for a moment that the suit was brought by a constitutional person, I would further agree, but we know it's not, or I believe it's not. It's simply once again someone being offended over something they simply don't like.

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is an odd thing to say given the government itself is deeply immersed with this GOD thing.

Even Obama ends his talks with GOD Bless America ... at least I believe he does. d

We know that prayers are in the two houses of congress. We know currency says trust God.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree, only based on the law which agrees. In "the real world" though, I have no issue with it, as no one is hurt, no one harmed, no one converted, not even anyone being taught. And if I thought for a moment that the suit was brought by a constitutional person, I would further agree, but we know it's not, or I believe it's not. It's simply once again someone being offended over something they simply don't like.
    The real world is a private world.... My favorite Thai restaurant has a shrine...and i could care less. The catholic schools have religious things up all over... and i could care less....

I don't care who is or isn't offended.... religion of any sort has no business in public schools

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    That is an odd thing to say given the government itself is deeply immersed with this GOD thing.

Even Obama ends his talks with GOD Bless America ... at least I believe he does. d

We know that prayers are in the two houses of congress. We know currency says trust God.

and i think the god thing is bullshit in our government as well.... the whole in god we trust on our currency is bullshit. Swearing on a bible is bullshit.... The only reasons politicians invoke "god" is for votes...

if government is isnsiting schools be striped of religion... then government should lead the way and strip it out of government.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

The real world is a private world.... My favorite Thai restaurant has a shrine...and i could care less. The catholic schools have religious things up all over... and i could care less....

I don't care who is or isn't offended.... religion of any sort has no business in public schools
    If it was truly an issue as some would have us believe, it wouldn't have lasted there for 60+ years. And in that time, not a single person was harmed, in any way whatsoever. Not a single person has been converted and not a single person forced to learn anything. But times are changing, and people who get offended are becoming more frequent. But I concede, as I did from the beginning, that based on law there is little standing. But that doesn't change the fact that no harm is done whatsoever, and the complaining is simply about people who aren't of the faith being butt hurt by a picture and therefore want it removed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

and i think the god thing is bullshit in our government as well.... the whole in god we trust on our currency is bullshit. Swearing on a bible is bullshit.... The only reasons politicians invoke "god" is for votes...

if government is isnsiting schools be striped of religion... then government should lead the way and strip it out of government.
    Wow, now that I disagree with. So much from day one in our government was based on religion. Whether anyone likes it or not, it was a large part of our countries beginning. And certainly not all politicians use it as a tool. I know of many that are true God fearing Christians. I'm sure some "use" it, but I wouldn't paint all of them with that brush. And I don't think having current politicians think like or act like or mimicking some of our founding fathers is such a bad idea.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Let's all take a step backward here. Think about this.

Does that picture of Jesus mean anything to you personally?
    Is that your school?
    If the picture is now down. How does it bother you IF...you didn't know it was there in the first place?
    Who really cares whether the picture is up, or down?
    What effect does it have on anyone outside, or inside the school today?

If it bothers anyone for taking it down.
    How about every book, in every library across this nation that has at least ONE book
    with pictures of Jesus, or God in them.
    Does it bother you that THOSE BOOKS are closed, and the photo's are not visible????

Same principle. No Big Deal...in either case.
    Unless YOU need something to be bothered by, insulted by, or offended by..just because YOU FEEL LIKE IT!
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If it was truly an issue as some would have us believe, it wouldn't have lasted there for 60+ years. And in that time, not a single person was harmed, in any way whatsoever. Not a single person has been converted and not a single person forced to learn anything. But times are changing, and people who get offended are becoming more frequent. But I concede, as I did from the beginning, that based on law there is little standing. But that doesn't change the fact that no harm is done whatsoever, and the complaining is simply about people who aren't of the faith being butt hurt by a picture and therefore want it removed.
    i could care less is anyone was or was not harmed..... i could care less if anyone was converted or not.

i don't think prayer or religion of any kind should be allowed in schools... including the ones with the rugs....

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I respect any view. When a person refuses to agree with me, unlike the claim of one woman poster, it does not at all bother me. I understand your POV and why you hold it.

I think, but can't prove that courts ended swearing on bibles and now simply ask a person to raise a hand and the oath is to say the truth. Maybe somewhere some court still uses the bible.

Your point is that if Government bans it, they out go ban it for all.

My view is that Government, per the constitution, has no right to ban anything religious.
    It says so right in the founding documents.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

i could care less is anyone was or was not harmed..... i could care less if anyone was converted or not.

i don't think prayer or religion of any kind should be allowed in schools... including the ones with the rugs....
    I believe you mean "I couldn't"....

I'm a logical person, and I do care about such things. People getting their way via lawsuits and being "offended" is sickening to me. People don't have a "right" to not be offended.