Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Keeper - Password and Data Vault

So I'm up to about 2 million passwords saved in my head. And being that it's slowly deteriorating, I figured it might be time to keep records. I was concerned though, as I wouldn't want the storage hacked and then everything is compromised. I am trying this one now as they offer a free version in which I can test with for awhile. It has a master password which you need to know in order to open the program. It has self destruct built in, so if someone tries to break in, and puts in the wrong password 5 times, it will destroy the records. It's a very small download and leaves a very small footprint once installed.

https://keepersecurity.com/
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    So I'm up to about 2 million passwords saved in my head. And being that it's slowly deteriorating, I figured it might be time to keep records. I was concerned though, as I wouldn't want the storage hacked and then everything is compromised. I am trying this one now as they offer a free version in which I can test with for awhile. It has a master password which you need to know in order to open the program. It has self destruct built in, so if someone tries to break in, and puts in the wrong password 5 times, it will destroy the records. It's a very small download and leaves a very small footprint once installed.

https://keepersecurity.com/

Kewl! All you need is an enemy's userID and not his password. All that is necessary is type random characters for the password five times and all the stored passwords go buh-bye. Nice!
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    Kewl! All you need is an enemy's userID and not his password. All that is necessary is type random characters for the password five times and all the stored passwords go buh-bye. Nice!
    True, if they know about the option, they can purposely sabotage. But it's easy to hide the program, and the self destruct option can also be disabled once logged into the program and going to settings.

I think I'm going to try the trial on this one too, see how it compares.

http://www.odinshare.com/password-secure-manager.html
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

How does this compare to Password Safe?

http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMarx View Post

Dunnu, but will update shortly! It appears to be very similar to Keeper...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMarx View Post

This one is very basic in appearance, and not surprising as open source. The GUI interface is much easier to navigate on "Keeper". But Password Safe, underneath the vanilla look, seems to have a handful of more options. Neither has a great reason to choose over the other. Personally, unless I see something else while testing, I would go with Keeper simply because it's easier to navigate, which would mean easier retrieval of a password if I ever need it.