Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default I had not heard of this program

Well, I ordered the first five hours. Thanks for the recommend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    So who watches this show? It's on HBO an into the 3rd season, about 25 total episodes or so. Here is a brief synopsis from IMDB, where it has an astonishing 9.4 rating:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/?ref_=sr_1

I'm just going on to episode 6 of the first season and I'm hooked!

I just spent an hour replying and it's gone. I'm pissed.

It's an awesome fucking show.

Good night.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

So who watches this show? It's on HBO an into the 3rd season, about 25 total episodes or so. Here is a brief synopsis from IMDB, where it has an astonishing 9.4 rating:

Yep, this and Downton Abbey are my two favs.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    It's on HBO, Sunday night 9pm EST. If you don't have HBO, however, the show has stuck to the books thus far, so you could just pick up the books, or buy the season one and two dvds.
    Since I don't have cable or tv at all for that matter, I make ample use of my public library. Have watched seasons 1 & 2 already. Can't wait for season 3 to come out on DVD.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Jim, I've never had HBO so didn't know anything about this series. However, I was in COSTCO a couple of weeks ago and saw the books (1-4) and bought them. I thought they would last a couple of months (books are almost 1,000 pages each). I read the first one in a week and the second one in a week because I couldn't put them down. I then offered my girlfriend the books to read and she said "Hey, this is that series that everyone is talking about on HBO". I had just installed Direct TV and have HBO free for three months. So, I downloaded all previous shows and starting watching. Have finished Season 1.

The first season sticks pretty close to the book, but season two is definitely exercising literary license. I'm halfway through book three and can't seem to put it down. Now, I will have to subscribe to HBO just to watch this series!!!
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    you know he was actually hesitant to take the role originally? He was talking about it in an interview once, that he was wary because it was a fantasy series, and generally, roles for short people, in his experience, involved beards and pointy-toed shoes. Then he actually read the books, and took because, as he put it, Tyrion tells the jokes, but is not the joke himself.

He is truly one of the best actors working today, IMO. Like Liev Schreiber, if I see Dinklage's name attached to a project, I'm in.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    He is truly one of the best actors working today, IMO. Like Liev Schreiber, if I see Dinklage's name attached to a project, I'm in.
    I was arguing with a buddy of mine, to where I sat there and went, "Name one scene that Tyrion has come into that has not been made more awesome by his presence."

Crickets followed.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Here you go:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Why are the gods all such sadistic bastards? Where is the god of tits and wine?"
    Mama Jeffro: Jeeeeh-froooo! What's going on down there? What's that smell?
    Jeffro: Nothing ma! Me and Lorenzo are practicing our Turkish oil wrestling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderknuckles View Post
    Here you go:
    I am so in...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've read all 5 books and I know what happens up to that point. Many will be greatly disappointed about some characters, it closes a lot of the sub plots when people get killed off.

HBO appears to be rushing through the show in order to complete it in five or six series. That's not good. I do hope they don't pull a Harry Potter on us and rewrite the final episodes.

They do seem to have a problem filming battle scenes. Kingslanding was a massive battle. Tyrion was almost killed while fighting on a ship, not on the land. He had most of his nose cut off and a huge ugly scar across his face in the book.

There's a whole lot of stuff still to come, unless they just skip over it, and a whole assortment of new characters. My biggest problem has always been remembering all the names. I'm terrible with names as it is, but when there are 20 to 30 named characters running around it gets even more confusing.

I better quit for now before I start saying too much and spoil things.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

For anyone who enjoys the show, the books are a must-read IMO, utterly fantastic.

Also, random factoid - Most of the out door scenes in the show are shot in...Northern Ireland ^,^ (Except for Dani's storyline which is mostly shot in Malta).
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I had to kind of fast forward through here a tad, some of you fuckers are giving out spoilers!!

I'm at the end of season 2 episode 3.

Sean Bean was my favorite character thus far, Lord Stark, Ned Stark, and I believe without his head he won't be coming back. I'm still learning the kingdoms and names, but it's all coming together. What's with the girl who marries "Drogo"? She just burnt herself to death and came back alive with some hatched dragons! And I download these episodes. All of the scenes with Drogo's clan (forget what they're called), there are no subtitles and I have no clue what Drogo, Callisi (sp?) aka Daenerys are saying!

Stark's youngest girl, I think Arya? She's awesome! Cute little gal. I hope someday she chops off Joffrey's head, or however you spell his name. I hate that little fucker already!

And the imp, the half man, the dwarf, Tyrion - Peter Dinklage - I agree with the others. I recall seeing him elsewhere, but he is emerging as one of the best characters on here for me. "Sir, how would you like to die" - he replies "Very old, laying in bed, with a whore and her ....".
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    For anyone who enjoys the show, the books are a must-read IMO, utterly fantastic.

Also, random factoid - Most of the out door scenes in the show are shot in...Northern Ireland ^,^ (Except for Dani's storyline which is mostly shot in Malta).
    My wife said it was one of the best book series she has ever read, and she's read thousands. She watched the show for 2 episodes and called it quits. She doesn't like violence, blood an boobies. What a wimp!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I had to kind of fast forward through here a tad, some of you fuckers are giving out spoilers!!

I'm at the end of season 2 episode 3.

Sean Bean was my favorite character thus far, Lord Stark, Ned Stark, and I believe without his head he won't be coming back. I'm still learning the kingdoms and names, but it's all coming together. What's with the girl who marries "Drogo"? She just burnt herself to death and came back alive with some hatched dragons! And I download these episodes. All of the scenes with Drogo's clan (forget what they're called), there are no subtitles and I have no clue what Drogo, Callisi (sp?) aka Daenerys are saying!

Stark's youngest girl, I think Arya? She's awesome! Cute little gal. I hope someday she chops off Joffrey's head, or however you spell his name. I hate that little fucker already!

And the imp, the half man, the dwarf, Tyrion - Peter Dinklage - I agree with the others. I recall seeing him elsewhere, but he is emerging as one of the best characters on here for me. "Sir, how would you like to die" - he replies "Very old, laying in bed, with a whore and her ....".
    I'm trying to be careful what I say here so I don't spoil anything. Sounds like you got some cheap down loads that didn't have captions for the conversations. I hate when that happens. I use VLC for viewing and some times the captions are included separately and I can just turn them on.

Dany doesn't burn up but ends up with three dragons, you can enjoy how she uses them over the following episodes. They are doing pretty good about staying with the books although most of that lezzy shit is not part of the books. That's thrown in for gratuitous sex scenes to promote queers.

You know that kid that plays Joffrey is a really good actor, cause everyone really hates him. I agree with your wife, the books are great. I've read all 5 and I'm waiting for the 6th to come out. Hope he finishes the series before he dies or I do.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.