Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Congressional Minority Bill of Rights: Then and Now

Then:

Pelosi Seeks House Minority 'Bill of Rights'
    Hastert Dismisses Democrats' Complaint, Saying GOP Record Is Better Than Foes'

By Charles Babington
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, June 24, 2004; Page A23

House Democrats' anger at heavy-handed Republican tactics reached a new level yesterday, with the chamber's top Democrat asking the House speaker to embrace a "Bill of Rights" for the minority, regardless which party it is.

In keeping with the general atmosphere of the House these days, aides to Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) said he will not respond to the two-page proposal from Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).

For decades, the party in power has used House parliamentary rules to limit the minority party's ability to amend bills and shape debates. But Democrats -- in the minority for 10 years after four decades of control -- say Republicans have gone to unreasonable lengths in recent years. GOP leaders dispute this, but congressional scholars and even some rank-and-file Republicans agree in whole or in part.

Pelosi's document, which she vows to honor if Democrats regain the majority, says: "Too often, incivility and the heavy hand of the majority" have silenced Democrats and choked off "thoughtful debate." She called on the majority to let the minority offer meaningful amendments and substitutes to important bills; to limit roll-call votes to the normal 15 minutes rather than keeping them open to round up needed votes; and to let all appointees to House-Senate conference committees participate in meetings and decisions.

"When we are shut out, they are shutting out the great diversity of America," Pelosi said in an interview. "We want a return to civility; we want to set a higher standard."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

and Now

01-03-2007

GOP Wants 'Minority Bill of Rights' in House

Responding to Democrats' plans to essentially cut them out of the House lawmaking process for at least the next month, some Republican members of Congress are pushing for a "Minority Bill of Rights" that would ensure their voices are heard.

The move comes after soon-to-be House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced plans to bypass the usual bill-making process -- committee work-ups of legislation and opportunities for the minority party to offer amendments -- in an effort to fast-track an agenda that will include increased federal funding of embryonic stem-cell research and a hike in the U.S. minimum wage.

The decision flies in the face of promises Pelosi made during the campaign to run the most open House in history.

In response, a trio of GOP legislators has drafted a Minority Bill of Rights modeled after a similar document Pelosi created when she was the House's minority leader after the 2004 elections. The document calls for reinstatement of the traditional policymaking apparatus -- meaning no bills come to the floor for a vote without representatives from both parties having had a chance to shape the legislation.

"We are simply asking that the rhetoric of Minority Leader Pelosi matches the actions of Speaker Pelosi, said Rep. Patrick McHenry, R-N.C., one of the drafters of the Minority Bill of Rights. The others are Reps. Eric Cantor, R-Va., and Tom Price, R-Ga.

Democrats, though, seemed disinclined to consider the GOP's concerns. A Pelosi spokesman said his boss's most important concern is getting some bills passed in the first 100 hours of the new Congress.

"The priority," he said, "is to get things done."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love how politicians think they're doing a good job if they're "getting stuff done." As far as I'm concerned, the LESS they do, the better.
    America: White people footing the bill for a party they're not allowed to attend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbalicious View Post
    Then:

Pelosi Seeks House Minority 'Bill of Rights'
    Hastert Dismisses Democrats' Complaint, Saying GOP Record Is Better Than Foes'

By Charles Babington
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, June 24, 2004; Page A23

House Democrats' anger at heavy-handed Republican tactics reached a new level yesterday, with the chamber's top Democrat asking the House speaker to embrace a "Bill of Rights" for the minority, regardless which party it is.

In keeping with the general atmosphere of the House these days, aides to Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) said he will not respond to the two-page proposal from Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).

For decades, the party in power has used House parliamentary rules to limit the minority party's ability to amend bills and shape debates. But Democrats -- in the minority for 10 years after four decades of control -- say Republicans have gone to unreasonable lengths in recent years. GOP leaders dispute this, but congressional scholars and even some rank-and-file Republicans agree in whole or in part.

Pelosi's document, which she vows to honor if Democrats regain the majority, says: "Too often, incivility and the heavy hand of the majority" have silenced Democrats and choked off "thoughtful debate." She called on the majority to let the minority offer meaningful amendments and substitutes to important bills; to limit roll-call votes to the normal 15 minutes rather than keeping them open to round up needed votes; and to let all appointees to House-Senate conference committees participate in meetings and decisions.

"When we are shut out, they are shutting out the great diversity of America," Pelosi said in an interview. "We want a return to civility; we want to set a higher standard."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

and Now

01-03-2007

GOP Wants 'Minority Bill of Rights' in House

Responding to Democrats' plans to essentially cut them out of the House lawmaking process for at least the next month, some Republican members of Congress are pushing for a "Minority Bill of Rights" that would ensure their voices are heard.

The move comes after soon-to-be House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced plans to bypass the usual bill-making process -- committee work-ups of legislation and opportunities for the minority party to offer amendments -- in an effort to fast-track an agenda that will include increased federal funding of embryonic stem-cell research and a hike in the U.S. minimum wage.

The decision flies in the face of promises Pelosi made during the campaign to run the most open House in history.

In response, a trio of GOP legislators has drafted a Minority Bill of Rights modeled after a similar document Pelosi created when she was the House's minority leader after the 2004 elections. The document calls for reinstatement of the traditional policymaking apparatus -- meaning no bills come to the floor for a vote without representatives from both parties having had a chance to shape the legislation.

"We are simply asking that the rhetoric of Minority Leader Pelosi matches the actions of Speaker Pelosi, said Rep. Patrick McHenry, R-N.C., one of the drafters of the Minority Bill of Rights. The others are Reps. Eric Cantor, R-Va., and Tom Price, R-Ga.

Democrats, though, seemed disinclined to consider the GOP's concerns. A Pelosi spokesman said his boss's most important concern is getting some bills passed in the first 100 hours of the new Congress.

"The priority," he said, "is to get things done."

Surprise surprise surprise. The dems are now ignoring what they cried about for ten years. Who'da thunk it. Their most important thing is to get their agenda through before it can be derailed by logical thinkers. And to rub salt in the wound the repubs are putting forth the very same bill she offered for ten years. And she has refused it. Wow. What posible reason could she have for not supporting her own rewritten bill. Maybe she wants to charge them with plagerism.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Surprise surprise surprise. The dems are now ignoring what they cried about for ten years. Who'da thunk it.
    Surprise surprise surpise, the pubs are now crying about what they ignored . . .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Surprise surprise surprise. The dems are now ignoring what they cried about for ten years. Who'da thunk it. Their most important thing is to get their agenda through before it can be derailed by logical thinkers. And to rub salt in the wound the repubs are putting forth the very same bill she offered for ten years. And she has refused it. Wow. What posible reason could she have for not supporting her own rewritten bill. Maybe she wants to charge them with plagerism.
    Why would the whining repubs be surprised that they are getting what they gave for the past 6 years? They forget that pendulums swing. I figure they deserve everything they get and more. I can't wait til they ask for a hearing on some subject and the dems either say no or stick them in a 10 x 12 room in the basement and then shut their mikes while they're asking questions.... just like they did to the dems.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jillian View Post
    Why would the whining repubs be surprised that they are getting what they gave for the past 6 years? They forget that pendulums swing. I figure they deserve everything they get and more. I can't wait til they ask for a hearing on some subject and the dems either say no or stick them in a 10 x 12 room in the basement and then shut their mikes while they're asking questions.... just like they did to the dems.
    They do deserve it, but I'm kind of hoping the Dems sign it anyway so that kind of behavior will finally come to an end.

If the Dems do sign it, if and when the Dems lose the majority again, would the Pubs be able to just edit the Bill of Rights and go back to their old ways?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They do deserve it, but I'm kind of hoping the Dems sign it anyway so that kind of behavior will finally come to an end.

If the Dems do sign it, if and when the Dems lose the majority again, would the Pubs be able to just edit the Bill of Rights and go back to their old ways?
    It won't make the behavior come to an end, though, because if and when the pendulum swings again, I figure they'd do just what they did before.

I figure it can be changed back fairly easily, but wouldn't swear to it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i thought dems were uniters not dividers....and wanted to work in a bipartisan way and heal the country...wa happen?

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    i thought dems were uniters not dividers....and wanted to work in a bipartisan way and heal the country...wa happen?
    Ummmmmmmm... six years of dealing with a bunch of dividers, not uniters. F 'em...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ummmmmmmm... six years of dealing with a bunch of dividers, not uniters. F 'em...
    wow....that is a pretty harsh condemnation of the dems behavior during the past 6 years.....but hey you are mod who am i to argue with ya

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Dems? Really? Why? Did a Democratic candidate for the Presidency run the term "I'm a uniter, not a divider" into the ground during a campaign?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Dems? Really? Why? Did a Democratic candidate for the Presidency run the term "I'm a uniter, not a divider" into the ground during a campaign?
    he was trying to unite.....the dems wouldn't join up.... ya calling the pres a liar?

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh nice. That's what it means to be a uniter?

Agree with me or fuck off. There. I'm a uniter.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

he was trying to unite.....the dems wouldn't join up.... ya calling the pres a liar?
    Aye... the noive of us.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Aye... the noive of us.

i mean look at this.....here the dems go again....not uniting with the president...http://www.comcast.net/news/index.js...vqh=itn_senate

~Albert Camus