Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default 33 years ago, tomorrow - 18 May 80

I was seven, living about 3 hours north of Mt St Helens

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Mother nature can be scary at times! Did you guys get hit with a lot of ash where you were?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Mother nature can be scary at times! Did you guys get hit with a lot of ash where you were?
    I vaguely recall people bottling that stuff and selling it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderknuckles View Post
    I vaguely recall people bottling that stuff and selling it.
    Yeap, sounds familiar. I could have sworn remembering ash going across country, is that even possible?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeap, sounds familiar. I could have sworn remembering ash going across country, is that even possible?
    With a big enough volcano I suppose it is. However, I don't remember ash falling on us in So Cal but then again I was only 9 when it happened so my memory might be off.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

jimnyc. If memory serves me correctly. Yes. The ash did cross the nation, but at a very high altitude in the JET STREAM. In fact. I believe I read reports that the dust, and ash eventually made it across the Atlantic in tiny portions and fell on Europe.

It was a kind of scary time when everyone must have been more than thankful it wasn't in their back yard.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

We had a dusting - eastern WA had TONS. Literally.

From Wikipedia

Strong high-altitude wind carried much of this material east-northeasterly from the volcano at an average speed of about 60 miles per hour (97 km/h). By 9:45 a.m. it had reached Yakima, Washington, 90 miles (140 km) away, and by 11:45 a.m. it was over Spokane, Washington.[5] A total of 4 to 5 inches (100 to 130 mm) of ash fell on Yakima, and areas as far east as Spokane were plunged into darkness by noon where visibility was reduced to 10 feet (3.0 m) and 0.5 inches (13 mm) of ash fell.[23] Continuing east, St. Helens' ash fell in the western part of Yellowstone National Park by 10:15 p.m. and was seen on the ground in Denver, Colorado, the next day.[23] In time ash fall from this eruption was reported as far away as Minnesota and Oklahoma, and some of the ash drifted around the globe within about 2 weeks.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_er...unt_St._Helens
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

So it did drift as far as I had thought. My brain still has a little life after all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Possible and has happened on a world wide scale. The volcano Tambora exploded in 1815, changing climate on a worldwide scale. The following year was labelled the year without a summer. Crops failed and the worst famine of the 19th century ensued.

In 1991, Mount Pinatubo in the Philipines erupted. The following year, we had the coolest summer in years. The weather people blamed Mount Pinatubo for it.
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMarx View Post
    Possible and has happened on a world wide scale. The volcano Tambora exploded in 1815, changing climate on a worldwide scale. The following year was labelled the year without a summer. Crops failed and the worst famine of the 19th century ensued.

In 1991, Mount Pinatubo in the Philipines erupted. The following year, we had the coolest summer in years. The weather people blamed Mount Pinatubo for it.

Admittedly I did not know about either events. But that's fascinating, I'll have to read up, especially on the first one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Admittedly I did not know about either events. But that's fascinating, I'll have to read up, especially on the first one.

Just a side-note here for everyone reading this. Does anyone ever wonder why AL GORE always managed to Never mention volcanic eruptions that take place around the world...all the time, when he tried, and failed to convince us about Global Warming????
    So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Anything done by man will be dwarfed by just one volcano. There's one erupting in the Philippines now and another is Mexico. Expect climate changes over the next year or two and it won't be caused by man. In the big scheme of things, man is insignificant.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Anything done by man will be dwarfed by just one volcano. There's one erupting in the Philippines now and another is Mexico. Expect climate changes over the next year or two and it won't be caused by man. In the big scheme of things, man is insignificant.

Gaffer. Do you know what that really means? Al Gore will start losing money!
    So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

The blast had a force 400 times the size of the atomic bomb that levelled Hiroshima.
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com