Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Here's the thing, you can post definitions from 99 different sources, but they still wouldn't be correct. A phobia is a specific term, and no other phobia am I aware of that doesn't contain 'fear', and no others I can think of mean hate or contempt instead. I believe you with the definitions, and that's how it's explained - but it's still an incorrect term meant to vilify those against homosexuality instead of merely explaining their feelings. How about just "This man detests homosexuality, or this man disagrees with homosexuality". The few extra words/characters won't kill people. But they prefer the incorrect word as it vilifies or makes them look like they have some sort of condition, and also allows people to lump everyone who disagrees with homosexuality, regardless of their reasons, into one incorrect group.
    Think of it this way... Xerox vs. copy. Is it more correct to say 'I'll Xerox this right away' or 'I'll copy this right away'? Of course, the answer is 'I'll copy this right away', everyone knows this. However, a great number of people still to this day say 'Xerox' instead of copy. It has come to men copy in their vernacular.

Is 'homophbia' technically the correct way to say what the definitions I have posted for it is? No. But it has come to mean that in the common vernacular. When somethign is used often enough to mean something, it 'becomes' commonplace and generally recognized as the 'correct' way to say something... even if it 'technically' isn't.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    Think of it this way... Xerox vs. copy. Is it more correct to say 'I'll Xerox this right away' or 'I'll copy this right away'? Of course, the answer is 'I'll copy this right away', everyone knows this. However, a great number of people still to this day say 'Xerox' instead of copy. It has come to men copy in their vernacular.

Is 'homophbia' technically the correct way to say what the definitions I have posted for it is? No. But it has come to mean that in the common vernacular. When somethign is used often enough to mean something, it 'becomes' commonplace and generally recognized as the 'correct' way to say something... even if it 'technically' isn't.

Marcus. That's also similar to the use of the word that describes a soft drink in a can. In the Mid-West, they use "Pop", and on the East Coast, we normally use Soda, or Coke.

Just depends on who, what, when, where, how, and why WE ARE, WHAT WE ARE!
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Some are saying that the word means 'contempt' or 'hatred' of homosexuals. But the root of the word is 'phobia'. Are there other phobia words which don't really mean to fear something, but rather to have contempt for it or hatred? I do believe that some people have a strong dislike or contempt for homosexual behavior, but they should just say it like that, instead of inventing a word that simply doesn't fit, and only serves to try and make that person out to be something they are not.
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Marcus. That's also similar to the use of the word that describes a soft drink in a can. In the Mid-West, they use "Pop", and on the East Coast, we normally use Soda, or Coke.

Just depends on who, what, when, where, how, and why WE ARE, WHAT WE ARE!
    The term WASN'T invented by opponents to the homosexual agenda. "Homophobic" was invented as a smear word implying there is something dysfunctional about people who oppose homosexual behavior.
    Last edited by tailfins; 05-24-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    The term WASN'T invented by opponents to the homosexual agenda. "Homophobic" was invented as a smear word implying there is something dysfunctional about people who oppose homosexual behavior.
    There is.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    There is.

Agreed gabby. And you appear to be the best example.
    So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    There is.
    That's you're opinion, but if you expressed that opinion in the wrong place it would be an HR issue.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post

Not completely, no.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia
    Coined by George Weinberg, a psychologist, in the 1960s,[10] the term homophobia is a blend[11][12][13] of (1) the word homosexual, itself a mix of neo-classical morphemes, and (2) phobia from the Greek φόβος, Phóbos, meaning "fear" or "morbid fear". Weinberg is credited as the first person to have used the term in speech.[9] The word homophobia first appeared in print in an article written for the May 23, 1969, edition of the American tabloid Screw, in which the word was used to refer to heterosexual men's fear that others might think they are gay.[9]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George...sychologist%29
    Weinberg is known for several major contributions to psychotherapy. He coined the word “homophobia” (in his revolutionary 1972 book, Society and the Healthy Homosexual) to propose that those who harbor prejudice against homosexuals, and not homosexuals themselves, are suffering from a psychological malady, an irrational state of mind.
    What I am hearing from people like Tailfins, is that homosexuals suffer form a psychological malady, and saying so in a derogatory manner is acceptable... but the idea that it's heterosexuals who suffer a psychological malady in regards to homosexuals, that's a dirty smear and unacceptable. Got it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Homophobe (n) - a perjorative term invented by homosexual advocates in an attempt to pretend that people with a natural dislike of homosexual relations, are somehow "afraid" of something.
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
    Homophobe (n) - a perjorative term invented by homosexual advocates in an attempt to pretend that people with a natural dislike of homosexual relations, are somehow "afraid" of something.

So, most all of us are recognized as Obama-phobes, IRS-aphobes, Holder-aphobes, Tax-aphobes, Obamacare-aphobes???

Holy Cow. There is nothing left NOT to be 'afraid' of.
    So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    So, most all of us are recognized as Obama-phobes, IRS-aphobes, Holder-aphobes, Tax-aphobes, Obamacare-aphobes???

Holy Cow. There is nothing left NOT to be 'afraid' of.
    that's just... different.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    that's just... different.