Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Xbox One

Microsoft's reveal of the Xbox One was so good that it raised Sony's (Creator of the Playstation) stock by 8% in under 24 hours, and raised sales of the WiiU. How do you so badly fuck the reveal of a new game system up that you only manage to make your opponents stronger? Let me count the ways:

It's not primarily a game system- Microsoft put a huge amount into showing off the Xbox One as an all in one entertainment system, where you watch live TV, movies, listen to music, and everything else, while having no games to show for their game system in development. The closest they came was the announcement of a Halo animated series. Both the WiiU and PS4 came to the table with games to show for their systems.

Online watchdogging- Or better known as "Screw you, Child's Play Charity gaming tournaments." Okay, here's a brand new kind of fuckery: You must, to use your Xbox One for anything, be online at least once every 24 hours so it can verify your system. So basically, Xbox One decided that the military should not be able to access their games while underway. Military who, btw, have the highest degree of disposable income for video games and systems.

Yes, this includes single-player games that do not use online for their content. You would need online access to play pong by yourself.

It's not your game- You will no longer "own" your video games for the Xbox One. Instead, you'll pay $60+ to get the game, put in the disc, and enter a single-use passcode that attaches the game to your Xbox Live account. You cannot take Madden over to your buddies house so you can play out Steeler's versus Giants, unless your buddy is willing to payout $60+ to get the code himself, or if you set up your Xbox Live account on his console.

Both PS4 and WiiU are still having you own your games that you bought from them.

Fuck you, Indy Devs- While the WiiU and PS4 have been working to make themselves more easy to work with for Indy developers, Microsoft has gone the opposite direction, requiring any Indy developer to put their game under Microsoft Game Studios, or through another larger developer. Meanwhile, their competitors have both made it easier for Indies, granting them direct use of their online stores for selling their games, and even making so that they can patch the games online without cost.

It should be noted that the most rapidly expanding market in video games to day is the Indy market, making this all the more insane for Xbox to do.

Kinect 2 is not innovation- So Microsoft has decided to double down on the Kinect interface, making it the main way to navigate the Xbox One's menus and such, and it does not ever turn off. The problem with this is that, since it is voice-controlled, you can easily end up turning on or off your Xbox in simple conversation. Both PS4 and WiiU are avoiding this, with the WiiU's tablet interface, and the PS4 using a touchpad that is hardwired into the controller. So yes, even trying to work the menu on the Xbox One is now retarded.

Fuck you, GameStop- In order to try and kill the used game market, Xbox One started that passcode nonsense mentioned earlier. Gone are the days when you could go into GameStop, buy a game used, and go home to play it. Even if you get the game from a friend, or buy it from GameStop, you must then also buy it from Microsoft to get the code to allow it to play on your system. And oh yeah, you do have to pay for that code as though it was a brand new game, period, as confirmed by Microsoft.

Online Market- Apparently, Xbox One is going to somehow do an online market through them where you can trade or transfer your games online, but they have no real details on the matter, not even whether it'll be in real world money, or Microsoft Points. Because we should all trust Microsoft, who have specifically designed their system to trust us to the lowest degree possible.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If THAT doesn't define FUBAR, I don't know what does.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

*Simpsons comic book guy voice*
    Worst product launch ever.

Honestly, Microsoft would of struggled to make it any worse.
    Although all the details that have since transpired , DRM fee codes, internet clocking, always on Kinect camera/mic...but hey atleast we get to play CoD as a puppy =D
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    *Simpsons comic book guy voice*
    Worst product launch ever.

Honestly, Microsoft would of struggled to make it any worse.
    Although all the details that have since transpired , DRM fee codes, internet clocking, always on Kinect camera/mic...but hey atleast we get to play CoD as a puppy =D
    What gets me is that both of Microsoft's major competitors have gone in the opposite direction on these things, meaning that the Xbox will be alone in these restrictions. I imagine there are a lot of developers who won't be wanting to deal with the crap that is Microsoft's new policies.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

With so many PC based games and entertainment; why fool with this? Also, a decent desktop computer is about $500, supposedly the price of an Xbox One. It appears to me Microsoft became so obsessed with piracy as to make the system unusable. I hear bootleg movies are no longer a problem in the BetaMax format.
    Last edited by tailfins; 05-27-2013 at 09:26 PM.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    With so many PC based games and entertainment; why fool with this? Also, a decent desktop computer is about $500, supposedly the price of an Xbox One. It appears to me Microsoft became so obsessed with piracy as to make the system unusable. I hear bootleg movies are no longer a problem in the BetaMax format.
    Here ya go.
    http://www.ouya.tv/

Basically works as an Emulator (program that lets you play different game systems on a computer, like gamecube or N64 or PS) that connects to your TV. Can connect flashdrives into it to download anything you want (including music and movies). Made to be taken apart and messed with.

Made for piracy, I like it a lot.
    "If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Why are guys so obsessed with video games?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Why are women so obsessed with gossip?

"You'll never hear one of us repeating gossip, so you'd better be sure to listen close the first time."

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

2/5 (and rising) of the gaming market are women.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Like Noir said, plus they're fun, and engaging. I grew up playing video games with my brother and sister, and I don't see it as an obsession. I enjoy playing video games, just like some guys and girls like football, baseball, or cars. You might as well ask, "Why do people like things that they enjoy doing?"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    Like Noir said, plus they're fun, and engaging. I grew up playing video games with my brother and sister, and I don't see it as an obsession. I enjoy playing video games, just like some guys and girls like football, baseball, or cars. You might as well ask, "Why do people like things that they enjoy doing?"
    Wasn't a slam against people who play video games. I was just wondering. My daughter came home from school one day an said "you can't talk to boys! All the want to do is play their games!"
    Last edited by gabosaurus; 05-28-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I'm thinking of getting my son an xbox, perhaps over the summer break. Can I get him an older one and still be fine? Should I look at the Sony instead? He loves 'Left for Dead 2' and the original, both PC versions though. He plays Black Ops with his cousins when we go to NJ.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock