Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I'm thinking of getting my son an xbox, perhaps over the summer break. Can I get him an older one and still be fine? Should I look at the Sony instead? He loves 'Left for Dead 2' and the original, both PC versions though. He plays Black Ops with his cousins when we go to NJ.
    My best guess this one for $199 would be iXtreme compatable:
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A4049258

If you don't want to pay for games, I'm pretty sure any, even the most recently manufactured Xbox 360s are iXtreme Lite Touch compatible.

See the iXtreme forum to make sure.

http://www.ixtreme.net/

You should be able to get most games at http://thepiratebay.sx/

Yep, Left For Dead 2 is available: http://thepiratebay.sx/search/Left%2...ead%202/0/99/0

Last edited by tailfins; 05-28-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm thinking of getting my son an xbox, perhaps over the summer break. Can I get him an older one and still be fine? Should I look at the Sony instead? He loves 'Left for Dead 2' and the original, both PC versions though. He plays Black Ops with his cousins when we go to NJ.
    Get a playstation, free online play.

And xbox is never backward compatable. (can't play older games on it) I mean, even the Wii can play gamecube games.
    "If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    My best guess this one for $199 would be iXtreme compatable:
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A4049258

If you don't want to pay for games, I'm pretty sure any, even the most recently manufactured Xbox 360s are iXtreme Lite Touch compatible.

See the iXtreme forum to make sure.

http://www.ixtreme.net/

You should be able to get most games at http://thepiratebay.sx/

Yep, Left For Dead 2 is available: http://thepiratebay.sx/search/Left%2...ead%202/0/99/0

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    Get a playstation, free online play.

And xbox is never backward compatable. (can't play older games on it) I mean, even the Wii can play gamecube games.
    I was actually looking at the Xbox 360 I think it was, with a 250gb hard drive, 2 controllers and a free game. I think it was a sale I saw, for like $250, but would be willing to pay a little more. But now with the extra info, I might just look harder at the Playstation.

Which is the latest Sony and which do you guys recommend? It can handle all the latest and greatest games?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

I was actually looking at the Xbox 360 I think it was, with a 250gb hard drive, 2 controllers and a free game. I think it was a sale I saw, for like $250, but would be willing to pay a little more. But now with the extra info, I might just look harder at the Playstation.

Which is the latest Sony and which do you guys recommend? It can handle all the latest and greatest games?
    There's less of a knowledge base on hacking a PS3 because the price of blank Blueray media in the past made it not worth the bother. With the drop in price of the media, people are now trying it.

Here's a thread on the topic.
    http://www.ixtreme.net/open-forum/22...-flashing.html

Here's a Youtube video on the topic for unlocking a PS3

Last edited by tailfins; 05-28-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Wasn't a slam against people who play video games. I was just wondering. My daughter came home from school one day an said "you can't talk to boys! All the want to do is play their games!"
    That's like women complaining about men who ignore them during their football games. Boys tend to have more of a hunter mentality, and this requires an ability to shut out the outside distractions to focus on what we're doing. This means that the worst possible time to try and get our attention is when we're knee-deep in something that has our focus.

Seriously, Fantasy Football is Dungeons & Dragons for jocks.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

PS3 is the current run, and the price has come down a ways. I'll also jump on the "get him the PS3" bandwagon that's cropped up.

Graphics on the PS3 are noticeably superior to the Xbox 360, the user interface isn't just a huge run of ads for other things like the 360, and you get a blu-ray player in the mix as well. The PS3s big problem starting out was its initial price point, which has come down noticeably.

Here's a console recap I particularly loved:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wxr89gxP9Dg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The PS3s game library has increased quite handily, as well.
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    That's like women complaining about men who ignore them during their football games. Boys tend to have more of a hunter mentality, and this requires an ability to shut out the outside distractions to focus on what we're doing. This means that the worst possible time to try and get our attention is when we're knee-deep in something that has our focus.

Seriously, Fantasy Football is Dungeons & Dragons for jocks.
    I hope this doesn't damage my rep here, but D&D is awesome.

A few of the ROTC nerds have talked me into playing with them. Most of it is us insulting eachother, killing eachother, and being total dickheads.
    I like to compare it to sitting around the campfire drinking, and having a good time.

They don't play like you'd expect them to, it's a whole lot of backstabbing and insulting.
    Reminds me of this quote
    "Men insult eachother, but don't mean it. Women complement eachother, and don't mean it either."
    "If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I hope this doesn't damage my rep here, but D&D is awesome.

A few of the ROTC nerds have talked me into playing with them. Most of it is us insulting eachother, killing eachother, and being total dickheads.
    I like to compare it to sitting around the campfire drinking, and having a good time.

They don't play like you'd expect them to, it's a whole lot of backstabbing and insulting.
    Reminds me of this quote
    "Men insult eachother, but don't mean it. Women complement eachother, and don't mean it either."
    Nah, I'm a long time tabletop role player myself. I start with old red box d&d, but veered off to pathfinder when fourth edition came out.
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    The PS3s game library has increased quite handily, as well.
    Is that a FREE game library? No one wants to fork over $800 for a dozen or so games.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is that a FREE game library? No one wants to fork over $800 for a dozen or so games.
    Huh, never looked at the prices of the PS3's games.
    If your kid is kinda young, I'd suggest getting the Wii 2. Xbox and Ps are more blood and gore, where Nintendo has always been comedy and child friendly. (I don't mean boring)
    Last edited by cadet; 05-29-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Bah, just hit up Gamestop for used games. Then there are some cheap or even free games on the Playstation Store.
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Huh, never looked at the prices of the PS3's games.
    If your kid is kinda young, I'd suggest getting the Wii 2. Xbox and Ps are more blood and gore, where Nintendo has always been comedy and child friendly. (I don't mean boring)
    Clearly you haven't seen ZombieU then. There are plenty of non-gorey titles for PS3, like the Dynasty Warriors series (Also a somewhat historically based game, based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms stories of Chinese Literature.), Batman Arkham Asylum and the sequel, Arkham City. Then you have the Rockband & Guitar Hero games.

Heck, PS3 still has Skylanders on it, which came out for every platform. The only issue with the WiiU right now is how limited the game library is at this point.
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Default Fyi

When Microsoft launched its new Xbox One console last week, rave reviews calling it “awesome” and “stunning” were quickly forgotten when gamers began complaining about how the device doesn’t work with their old favorites (among other things). Now Microsoft has a new Xbox-related headache courtesy of Germany’s privacy chief, who is alarmed by its potential intrusive surveillance capabilities.

The complaint stems from the latest version of the motion-sensing Kinect technology. The Kinect device designed for the Xbox One can monitor users’ movements with a camera that sees in the dark, picks up voice commands with a microphone, and reads your heart rate using infrared cameras that track blood flow underneath the skin. Because the device is connected to the Internet, malicious hackers could potentially hijack the console and use it for spying. In addition, Microsoft has filed a patent that suggests it is interested in using Kinect to count the number of people in a room in order to charge each person for providing pay-per-user content. The patent outlines how a camera could be used with face and gesture recognition as part of a Kinect-style system to enforce “age and identity restrictions” on certain kinds of content, effectively granting copyright holders virtual access to private dwellings, as Wired described it.

Microsoft has attempted to play down the privacy fears, claiming that it is “a leader in the world of privacy” and adding that it is not “using Kinect to snoop on anybody at all.” But this has not convinced officials in Germany. In an interview published Sunday by Der Spiegel, the country’s federal data protection commissioner, Peter Schaar, said he was unsettled by how the Xbox One “records all sorts of personal information” that would be “processed on an external server” and possibly passed on to third parties. "The fact that Microsoft is now spying on my living room is just a twisted nightmare," Schaar told the newspaper.

Some reports have claimed that the microphone and the camera for the Kinect device would be “always on” and “constantly listening and watching.” Microsoft told gaming website Kotaku that this isn’t the case and that “you can turn the system completely off." The company also says that the new Kinect will have “simple, easy methods to customize privacy settings, provide clear notifications and meaningful privacy choices for how data will be used, stored and shared." But you can bet that it will take more than these vague assurances to satisfy Germany’s aggressively privacy-protective officials. And if Microsoft fails to substantively address the privacy concerns, it could well find itself facing legal action in Germany—as Facebook has discovered on more than one occasion.
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...tmare_for.html

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...atent-snooping
    Microsoft files for living room-snooping patent

Technology

07 November 12 by Olivia Solon

<figure style="width: 323px; position: absolute; margin: 0px; left: 582px; top: 664px;" class="imageBlob landscape pullToSide ssrPullToSide" data-asset-id="291905"> <figcaption class="image-caption"> Flickr.com/Cha già José </figcaption>
    </figure> Microsoft has filed a patent application for a Kinect-based system that could be used to monitor the number of people in a room watching a TV with a view to giving content creators accurate viewing figures and a pay-per-user-view model.
    The system would use the Kinect camera to check the number of viewers in any room and then prompt the consumer to purchase the appropriate license based on that number. This would mean that you would pay more, for example, for a family of six than if you were watching a piece of content on your own.
    The patent filing explains that "delivering audiovisual entertainment has progressed from physical media to digital downloads...In delivering such media, content providers often seek compensation based on the number of times content can be presented on a particular system."
    The technology solution that Microsoft has come up with would allow "content providers to regulate the presentation of content on a per-user-view basis. Content is distributed to consuming devices, such as televisions, set-top boxes and digital displays, with an associated license option on the number of individual consumers or viewers allowed to consume the content."
    The limitation placed on the content might simply be a fixed number of users views, a number of user views over a certain time period, a number of simultaneous user views or views tide to user identities. This could even allow for age restriction -- i.e. if the Kinect recognises you as being under 18, it won't show 18 movies.
    The terrifying thing about this patent is that it would grant copyright holders virtual access to private dwellings. The patent application suggests that the technology could be applied to head-mounted devices, large screens, computers and even mobile phones. While it might make sense to allow the likes of Sky to monitor whether people have bought home-use licenses for use in commercial spaces (something which Sky charges more highly for), it seems that the wording covers a much wider range applications. It would seem that three people crowded round an iPad would be just as susceptible as a pub full of people crowded round a TV to watch the football.
    At the slightly less sinister end of the spectrum, the technology could also, presumably, be used by TV channels to generate accurate viewing figures.
    Last edited by revelarts; 06-02-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...tmare_for.html

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...atent-snooping
    Microsoft files for living room-snooping patent

Technology

07 November 12 by Olivia Solon

<figure style="width: 323px; position: absolute; margin: 0px; left: 582px; top: 664px;" class="imageBlob landscape pullToSide ssrPullToSide" data-asset-id="291905"> <figcaption class="image-caption"> Flickr.com/Cha già José </figcaption>
    </figure> Microsoft has filed a patent application for a Kinect-based system that could be used to monitor the number of people in a room watching a TV with a view to giving content creators accurate viewing figures and a pay-per-user-view model.
    The system would use the Kinect camera to check the number of viewers in any room and then prompt the consumer to purchase the appropriate license based on that number. This would mean that you would pay more, for example, for a family of six than if you were watching a piece of content on your own.
    The patent filing explains that "delivering audiovisual entertainment has progressed from physical media to digital downloads...In delivering such media, content providers often seek compensation based on the number of times content can be presented on a particular system."
    The technology solution that Microsoft has come up with would allow "content providers to regulate the presentation of content on a per-user-view basis. Content is distributed to consuming devices, such as televisions, set-top boxes and digital displays, with an associated license option on the number of individual consumers or viewers allowed to consume the content."
    The limitation placed on the content might simply be a fixed number of users views, a number of user views over a certain time period, a number of simultaneous user views or views tide to user identities. This could even allow for age restriction -- i.e. if the Kinect recognises you as being under 18, it won't show 18 movies.
    The terrifying thing about this patent is that it would grant copyright holders virtual access to private dwellings. The patent application suggests that the technology could be applied to head-mounted devices, large screens, computers and even mobile phones. While it might make sense to allow the likes of Sky to monitor whether people have bought home-use licenses for use in commercial spaces (something which Sky charges more highly for), it seems that the wording covers a much wider range applications. It would seem that three people crowded round an iPad would be just as susceptible as a pub full of people crowded round a TV to watch the football.
    At the slightly less sinister end of the spectrum, the technology could also, presumably, be used by TV channels to generate accurate viewing figures.

Mr Haney would have sure been proud!