Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

There are set hours for Catholic Prayer.
    Canonical hours

Traditional Roman Breviary

By the end of the 5th century, the Liturgy of the Hours was composed of seven offices. Of these seven, Compline seems to have been the last to appear, because the 4th century Apostolic Constitutions VIII iv 34 do not mention it in the exhortation "Offer up your prayers in the morning, at the third hour, the sixth, the ninth, the evening, and at cock-crowing".[6] An eighth office, Prime, was added by Benedict of Nursia in the 6th century. These eight are known by the following names:

• Matins (during the night, at midnight with some); also called Vigils or Nocturns or, in monastic usage, the Night Office
    • Lauds or Dawn Prayer (at Dawn, or 3 a.m.)
    • Prime or Early Morning Prayer (First Hour = approximately 6 a.m.)
    • Terce or Mid-Morning Prayer (Third Hour = approximately 9 a.m.)
    • Sext or Midday Prayer (Sixth Hour = approximately 12 noon)
    • None or Mid-Afternoon Prayer (Ninth Hour = approximately 3 p.m.)
    • Vespers or Evening Prayer ("at the lighting of the lamps", generally at 6 p.m.)
    • Compline or Night Prayer (before retiring, generally at 9 p.m.)

The Liturgy of the Hours (Latin: Liturgia Horarum) or Divine Office (Latin: Officium Divinum) or canonical hours, often referred to as the Breviary, is the official set of daily prayers prescribed by the Catholic Church to be recited by clergy, religious institutes, and laity.[1][2] It consists primarily of psalms supplemented by hymns and readings. Together with the Mass, it constitutes the official public prayer life of the Church. Upon ordination to the Diaconate, the daily recitation of the Liturgy of the Hours becomes a canonical obligation. The Liturgy of the Hours also forms the basis of prayer within Christian monasticism.[3]

The Liturgy of the Hours, along with the Eucharist, has formed part of the Church's public worship from the earliest times. Christians of both Eastern and Western traditions (including the Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Anglican, and Lutheran churches) celebrate the Liturgy of the Hours under various names. Within Catholicism, the Liturgy of the Hours, once contained within what was called the Roman Breviary, is in its present form found in what in English editions is called either The Liturgy of the Hours (arranged in four volumes) or The Divine Office (in three volumes).[4] In Greek the corresponding services are found in the Ὡρολόγιον (Horologion), meaning Book of Hours. Within Anglicanism, the Liturgy of the Hours is contained within the book of Daily Prayer of Common Worship and the Book of Common Prayer, as well as in the Anglican Breviary. Within Lutheranism, it is contained within the liturgical books used by the various Lutheran church bodies, such as the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The primary worship resources in these churches include Lutheran Worship, the Lutheran Book of Worship, and Evangelical Lutheran Worship. Other names for the Liturgy of the Hours within the Latin Rite include Diurnal and Nocturnal Office, Ecclesiastical Office, Cursus ecclesiasticus, or simply cursus.[3]

The early Christians continued the Jewish practice of reciting prayers at certain hours of the day or night. In the Psalms are found expressions like "in the morning I offer you my prayer"; "At midnight I will rise and thank you" ; "Evening, morning and at noon I will cry and lament"; "Seven times a day I praise you". The Apostles observed the Jewish custom of praying at the third, sixth and ninth hour and at midnight (Acts 10:3, 9; 16:25; etc.). The Christian prayer of that time consisted of almost the same elements as the Jewish: recital or chanting of psalms, reading of the Old Testament, to which were soon added readings of the Gospels, Acts, and epistles, and canticles such as the Gloria in Excelsis Deo. Taylor Marshall has demonstrated how these Christian cycles of daily prayer derived from Jewish customs of prayer.[5] Other elements were added later in the course of the centuries.

After the Second Vatican Council, Pope Paul VI promulgated a new Roman Breviary, commonly referred to as "Liturgy of the Hours." The structure of the offices, the distribution of psalms, and the prayers themselves were modified. Prime was suppressed entirely. In short, the burden was lessened. "Major" and "minor" hours were defined:

• The Officium lectionis, or Office of Readings, (formerly Matins) — major hour
    • Lauds or Morning prayer — major hour
    • Daytime prayer, which can be one or all of:
      • Terce or Mid-Morning Prayer
      • Sext or Midday Prayer
      • None or Mid-Afternoon Prayer

• Vespers or Evening Prayer — major hour
    • Compline or Night Prayer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Thanks Jim. I am always reminded of what my parents taught me, and probably yours did too! About being warned to never get into any arguments about Religion, or Politics.

No way to avoid the Politics. But religion should stay a private thing. That way. You avoid finding yourself in a position where you argue about it, and where you must explain, or make excuses to those who HAVE NO INTENTION of listening, or reasoning with you. Because...No matter what you say. They just refuse to believe in what You, or I believe in.
    That's the result of having NO FAITH, and no standards of living by man-made rules of common human beings.
    If they do not believe. That gives them all of the excuses they need to NOT obey, or follow any silly 10 RULES we call Commandments.
    If they don't believe, or follow them. They can't be held personally responsible to be moral, practical, responsible human beings.
    And that...in itself is nothing but Misery, based on Hatred, and Selfishness for the "ME" generation.
    Good rules, and yep, I was taught the same, not that I always listen!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    When first coming across a post from me you tried to claim this was a Jewish custom.
    It is a Jewish custom, YOUR OWN LINK EVEN SAYS SO. Don't get upset with me for pointing it out.

Then with further links you appear to agree the 3 prayers exist, but now you seem to think it only applies to priests
    I never said the prayers don't exist, I said they're not Christian tradition. Of the thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of Christians that I've interacted with over 50 years, not one, not a single one has ever stopped what they were doing at 9 or noon or 3 to pray. If a tradition, you'd think I'd have at least observed it ONCE.

You were trying to laughably equate the daily schedules of priests with those of school kids. You got called on it.

This was your wisdom with yet more proof that Catholics have a tradition of the 3 daily prayers. Only this time, while highlighting those prayers, you point out that it isn't mandatory to be at those times and Catholics can say them at any time. This is what I stated from the get go, that these were the recommended times, of 9, 12 and 3 - but your argument in this reply is that it's not mandatory, that it can be at anytime.

My links are solid. First you say it's Jewish, then you say it's Catholic priests. Then when you don't have any further argument, you fall back on the prayers can be said at any time. Your argument HAS changed the more and more you look like an idiot.

My panties? Sure, because an apparent uneducated atheist doesn't know Catholic history? It's more like you're annoying. You've long made an asshole out of yourself in Christian and Catholic related threads. You turn into an asshole in almost every religion related thread you ever enter - and you're not even who of faith. Most people would call that a troll. I'll stick with my guns after having known you for so many years, you're just a little bitch when it comes to religion because you're ignorant.
    You're just a little confused on how things went here. I said Christians have no specified times of prayer. You posted a link about the 9, 12, and 3 and I pointed out that those "hours of prayer" are Jewish tradition as your link attested. This link also said Christians are free to pray at their convenience. The other link you posted was a site devoted to praying. It also said 9,12, and 3 was Jewish tradition and acknowledged that there are no specific prayer times for Christians.
    Last edited by Missileman; 06-05-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. -- Susan B. Anthony

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    It is a Jewish custom, YOUR OWN LINK EVEN SAYS SO. Don't get upset with me for pointing it out.

I never said the prayers don't exist, I said they're not Christian tradition. Of the thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of Christians that I've interacted with over 50 years, not one, not a single one has ever stopped what they were doing at 9 or noon or 3 to pray. If a tradition, you'd think I'd have at least observed it ONCE.

You were trying to laughably equate the daily schedules of priests with those of school kids. You got called on it.

You're just a little confused on how things went here. I said Christians have no specified times of prayer. You posted a link about the 9, 12, and 3 and I pointed out that those "hours of prayer" are Jewish tradition as your link attested. This link also said Christians are free to pray at their convenience. The other link you posted was a site devoted to praying. It also said 9,12, and 3 was Jewish tradition and acknowledged that there are no specific prayer times for Christians.
    Simply look at my last 4-5 posts of links for undeniable proof of the 3 prayers and also within canonical law as posted by V4R just above you. To say "It's Jewish" when it's also a LONG part of Catholic history is dumb. That shows you don't truly know, because you're an atheist. Lots of Catholic tradition comes from the Jewish. The times are there as it's VERY clear and every Catholic with knowledge will tell you about the prayers. As will the Church who follow it.

As for the bold, to go full circle - you were wrong. Whether YOU know people who follow it or not is irrelevant, as you've now been shown that in various references, these 3 prayers exist. You can deny every link I post and even those from the head Catholic organizations.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voted4Reagan View Post
    There are set hours for Catholic Prayer.
    Canonical hours

Traditional Roman Breviary

By the end of the 5th century, the Liturgy of the Hours was composed of seven offices. Of these seven, Compline seems to have been the last to appear, because the 4th century Apostolic Constitutions VIII iv 34 do not mention it in the exhortation "Offer up your prayers in the morning, at the third hour, the sixth, the ninth, the evening, and at cock-crowing".[6] An eighth office, Prime, was added by Benedict of Nursia in the 6th century. These eight are known by the following names:

• Matins (during the night, at midnight with some); also called Vigils or Nocturns or, in monastic usage, the Night Office
    • Lauds or Dawn Prayer (at Dawn, or 3 a.m.)
    • Prime or Early Morning Prayer (First Hour = approximately 6 a.m.)
    • Terce or Mid-Morning Prayer (Third Hour = approximately 9 a.m.)
    • Sext or Midday Prayer (Sixth Hour = approximately 12 noon)
    • None or Mid-Afternoon Prayer (Ninth Hour = approximately 3 p.m.)
    • Vespers or Evening Prayer ("at the lighting of the lamps", generally at 6 p.m.)
    • Compline or Night Prayer (before retiring, generally at 9 p.m.)

The Liturgy of the Hours (Latin: Liturgia Horarum) or Divine Office (Latin: Officium Divinum) or canonical hours, often referred to as the Breviary, is the official set of daily prayers prescribed by the Catholic Church to be recited by clergy, religious institutes, and laity.[1][2] It consists primarily of psalms supplemented by hymns and readings. Together with the Mass, it constitutes the official public prayer life of the Church. Upon ordination to the Diaconate, the daily recitation of the Liturgy of the Hours becomes a canonical obligation. The Liturgy of the Hours also forms the basis of prayer within Christian monasticism.[3]

The Liturgy of the Hours, along with the Eucharist, has formed part of the Church's public worship from the earliest times. Christians of both Eastern and Western traditions (including the Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Anglican, and Lutheran churches) celebrate the Liturgy of the Hours under various names. Within Catholicism, the Liturgy of the Hours, once contained within what was called the Roman Breviary, is in its present form found in what in English editions is called either The Liturgy of the Hours (arranged in four volumes) or The Divine Office (in three volumes).[4] In Greek the corresponding services are found in the Ὡρολόγιον (Horologion), meaning Book of Hours. Within Anglicanism, the Liturgy of the Hours is contained within the book of Daily Prayer of Common Worship and the Book of Common Prayer, as well as in the Anglican Breviary. Within Lutheranism, it is contained within the liturgical books used by the various Lutheran church bodies, such as the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The primary worship resources in these churches include Lutheran Worship, the Lutheran Book of Worship, and Evangelical Lutheran Worship. Other names for the Liturgy of the Hours within the Latin Rite include Diurnal and Nocturnal Office, Ecclesiastical Office, Cursus ecclesiasticus, or simply cursus.[3]

The early Christians continued the Jewish practice of reciting prayers at certain hours of the day or night. In the Psalms are found expressions like "in the morning I offer you my prayer"; "At midnight I will rise and thank you" ; "Evening, morning and at noon I will cry and lament"; "Seven times a day I praise you". The Apostles observed the Jewish custom of praying at the third, sixth and ninth hour and at midnight (Acts 10:3, 9; 16:25; etc.). The Christian prayer of that time consisted of almost the same elements as the Jewish: recital or chanting of psalms, reading of the Old Testament, to which were soon added readings of the Gospels, Acts, and epistles, and canticles such as the Gloria in Excelsis Deo. Taylor Marshall has demonstrated how these Christian cycles of daily prayer derived from Jewish customs of prayer.[5] Other elements were added later in the course of the centuries.

After the Second Vatican Council, Pope Paul VI promulgated a new Roman Breviary, commonly referred to as "Liturgy of the Hours." The structure of the offices, the distribution of psalms, and the prayers themselves were modified. Prime was suppressed entirely. In short, the burden was lessened. "Major" and "minor" hours were defined:

• The Officium lectionis, or Office of Readings, (formerly Matins) — major hour
    • Lauds or Morning prayer — major hour
    • Daytime prayer, which can be one or all of:
      • Terce or Mid-Morning Prayer
      • Sext or Midday Prayer
      • None or Mid-Afternoon Prayer

• Vespers or Evening Prayer — major hour
    • Compline or Night Prayer
    Yep, but I'm afraid such specifics will fall lost and unheard and denied. Tis cool though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Simply look at my last 4-5 posts of links for undeniable proof of the 3 prayers and also within canonical law as posted by V4R just above you. To say "It's Jewish" when it's also a LONG part of Catholic history is dumb. That shows you don't truly know, because you're an atheist. Lots of Catholic tradition comes from the Jewish. The times are there as it's VERY clear and every Catholic with knowledge will tell you about the prayers. As will the Church who follow it.

As for the bold, to go full circle - you were wrong. Whether YOU know people who follow it or not is irrelevant, as you've now been shown that in various references, these 3 prayers exist. You can deny every link I post and even those from the head Catholic organizations.
    It's not a long part of Catholic laity's history.
    I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. -- Susan B. Anthony

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I started a thread about 'dispensationalism', it might interest you. It may or may not apply in this situation, but it is an enlightening way to view scripture.
    Homophobe (n) - a perjorative term invented by homosexual advocates in an attempt to pretend that people with a natural dislike of homosexual relations, are somehow "afraid" of something.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So, like Jim said, you ARE saying praying at various set times is just for priests. That is incorrect.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

The Hours of prayer predate the birth of a Jewish Carpenter.... And were adopted as Canon by Peter and changed and expanded up into the 6th century. They are set in Monastic and Canon law.. Weather the observant chooses to devoutly follow them is a matter of personal faith..

The Hours changed slightly under Paul VI. But Either set of Hours is allowable to be used by the observant. If they choose the older hours that is a matter of personal faith as well.

Sorry MissileMan... you are incorrect in your assertions.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    So, like Jim said, you ARE saying praying at various set times is just for priests. That is incorrect.
    I'm NOT saying it's only for priests, but that it's only traditional for priests and not traditional for all Christians.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Traditionally, I crap three times a day. It's practically religious. It really irks my wife too, having to accommodate me. She's intolerant like that.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
    Traditionally, I crap three times a day. It's practically religious. It really irks my wife too, having to accommodate me. She's intolerant like that.
    Thank you, Logroller. My day is now complete ...
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Here is a kid in the middle of the bible belt where praying is not allowed in school that took it upon himself to throw away his speech as Valedictorian and say the lords prayer

http://conservativevideos.com/2013/0...-lords-prayer/

And those in attendance applauded him for doing so

Can a cjild bless his meal to himself yes but are the public schools trying there hardest to keep prayer out of school yes so why allow one if you wont allow all
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm NOT saying it's only for priests, but that it's only traditional for priests and not traditional for all Christians.
    show me something that proves the set times did not apply to the people then. Should be easy, right?