Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 3 Brothers AWOL In Minnesota (to tune of 4 dead in Ohio)

How can this happen? What is slipping in the DoD? Or should I say DoO. Whatever, this is indicative of a much larger problem for the bushies and other chickenhawk legislators and executives.

After enlisting in the Minnesota Army National Guard, the Kamunens had second thoughts and didn't return to basic training after Christmas.

By Randy Furst, Star Tribune

CARLTON, MINN. -- Luke Kamunen began to wonder if he'd made a mistake the moment he arrived for basic training. He was still in the airport at Fort Jackson, S.C., with other members of his Minnesota National Guard unit, when an officer reprimanded him publicly for leaving a paper cup on his seat in the airport.
    "I was thinking, is this what it's going to be like the whole time?" Luke said. "I'm not even on the bus yet."

His twin brother, Leif, started having doubts within weeks when a drill sergeant indicated they were probably headed to Iraq. Leif said that possibility had been downplayed by the recruiter who signed him up in Duluth.

On Jan. 2, the twins, age 21, and their brother Leo, 20, went AWOL from the Army. All three failed to return to basic training after Christmas break in northern Minnesota. Five months later, Luke has been released from the military, while Leif and Leo remain absent without leave. They say they plan to turn themselves in soon.

The Kamunen brothers are an example of a growing problem -- Army desertions have risen 35 percent in the past two years, according to Defense Department figures. The number rose from 2,450 in 2004 to 3,301 in 2006.

There are many more who go AWOL -- tens of thousands who leave without permission for anywhere from 24 hours to 30 days.

"In any large group of military, you are always going to have some people change their minds," said Dennis Schulstad, a retired Air Force brigadier general and a former Minneapolis City Council member. Soldiers who desert are only a fraction of the 2.5 million in the military.

But Ronald Krebs, a political science professor at the University of Minnesota, blames the sharp rise on the "unfathomable pressure" that recruiters are now under. He says that forces them to lower standards and recruit people who might be less stable.

"Lower-quality recruits desert at much higher rates than higher-quality recruits," said Krebs, author of "Fighting for Rights: Military Service and the Politics of Citizenship," published last year by Cornell University Press.

The Kamunens are typical of young recruits who go AWOL, said Sam Diener of the GI Rights Hotline, a national organization that counsels soldiers. "The recruits are disproportionately rural, mostly high school graduates who aren't sure what to do next," he said.

Still, the Kamunens' situation is unusual, simply because there are three of them. "I've talked to thousands and thousands of AWOLs," said the GI Hotline's Bill Galvin. "And I don't think I've ever heard of two brothers going AWOL at the same time."

Give it a read and tell me what you really think?!?!?!??!? Thanks in advance!!!!!
    Last edited by Psychoblues; 06-05-2007 at 01:38 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds to me like they are the chickenshits.

"I was thinking, is this what it's going to be like the whole time?" Luke said. "I'm not even on the bus yet."

Its just boot camp, of course they are going to yell at you the whole time about stupid little things.

What a bunch of pussys.
    PRAIRIE FIRE by William Ayers: Obama's guide to destory America
    "Maybe I missed that part of the Constitution"--Joe Steel
    You can't spell Liberals without Lies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sounds like a bunch of spoiled brats that didn't like what they got into when they enlisted.

The opinions of a political science professor have nothing to do with the military. Sounds like someone was scraping up somebody to spout anti-military propaganda.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

pb spreading anti-military propaganda? Naw!!
    PRAIRIE FIRE by William Ayers: Obama's guide to destory America
    "Maybe I missed that part of the Constitution"--Joe Steel
    You can't spell Liberals without Lies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theHawk View Post
    pb spreading anti-military propaganda? Naw!!
    Yeah who'da thunk it.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am not and have never claimed to be a professor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Yeah who'da thunk it.
    I would refer you to the article as posted and keep your ad hominems to a minimal.

Indeed. Who'da thunk it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default the infamous awol brother

hey you cock winders the "hawk" and "gaffer" you guys are so fuckin typical!!
    yeah I'm one of the brothers who ditched that joke of an outfit called the army! Next time you guys post a comment and think you know what your talking about get your fuckin sources straight. First thing, the guy who wrote the article on us was an old fart who put shit in there just for the publicity. Half that shit we didn't say. If you guys think your so damn tuff with your little postings why don;t you come to my house personally. The army was a fuckiin joke and anyone who backs that shit up is dumber then my shit floating in the toilet. The majority of people that join are hopeless little retards who don't have any other chioce in life, so they stick it through. And eventually get there dumb ass demolished by an IED some jew put under there vehicle. who would fight for some old man named bush anyway. Sounds to me like you guys are the chickenshits. There aint many people who have the balls to leave even when they really have to. Some people just got more important shit to do then listen to a bunch of niggers in a round hat scream at them all day, and burn there asses off in the hot sun!! Yeah one more thing, the army don't pay shit!! I could work at micdonalds and make more money in one year!!! Fuck you!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice, well it's your life and some of it might even be true but you signed up on your on free will, no one put a gun to your head, when you sign a contract your expected to fullfill it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lkamunen View Post
    yeah I'm one of the brothers who ditched that joke of an outfit called the army! Next time you guys post a comment and think you know what your talking about get your fuckin sources straight. First thing, the guy who wrote the article on us was an old fart who put shit in there just for the publicity. Half that shit we didn't say. If you guys think your so damn tuff with your little postings why don;t you come to my house personally. The army was a fuckiin joke and anyone who backs that shit up is dumber then my shit floating in the toilet. The majority of people that join are hopeless little retards who don't have any other chioce in life, so they stick it through. And eventually get there dumb ass demolished by an IED some jew put under there vehicle. who would fight for some old man named bush anyway. Sounds to me like you guys are the chickenshits. There aint many people who have the balls to leave even when they really have to. Some people just got more important shit to do then listen to a bunch of niggers in a round hat scream at them all day, and burn there asses off in the hot sun!! Yeah one more thing, the army don't pay shit!! I could work at micdonalds and make more money in one year!!! Fuck you!!
    Lookie here. We have us an internet tough guy. "You come to my house and my pa will kick your ass." Fuck you, you cum chuggling, knob gobbling, piss ant. You and your two pillow biting brothers need to go back to daisy chaining each other and leave life to the real men. In fact fuck stain, why don't the three of you share a gallon of Drano? And before you think about getting a job at "micdonalds", you might want to think about 7th grade spelling again. Sorry you got butt hurt over having someone yell at you. You go right back to sucking mama's titty and she'll take care of you. Maybe she'll kick my ass after I'm done with your daddy. Then your whole family can go to your Klan meeting and you can tell them how some old Marine kicked your ass.
    Last edited by 82Marine89; 05-04-2008 at 06:45 PM.
    POLITICAL ACTIVISTS CREED
    "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brushfires in people's minds" -Samuel Adams

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
    stand ready to do violence on their behalf."~George Orwell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just want to add that I apologize to any of the regular members of this board if I offended you with my language.

~Mick
    "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brushfires in people's minds" -Samuel Adams

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok HOSS!! Sorry i didn't check my spelling and grammer option. Its just blurbs you hick!! uhhhh??? you can come to my house and meet my PA! uhhhh??? I'm 82 marine and I like muscle cars and american flags! uuhhhh???? Hey go fuck yourself you buzz cut billy!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just want to apologize to my fellow butt puggers. I might have offened someone. GO suck your pa's shriveled pecker! 82 marine

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Look here li'l Himmler. If you want to go rounds with me you need to bring your 'A' game. Don't re-use stuff I've already said.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoblues View Post
    How can this happen? What is slipping in the DoD? Or should I say DoO. Whatever, this is indicative of a much larger problem for the bushies and other chickenhawk legislators and executives.

After enlisting in the Minnesota Army National Guard, the Kamunens had second thoughts and didn't return to basic training after Christmas.

By Randy Furst, Star Tribune

CARLTON, MINN. -- Luke Kamunen began to wonder if he'd made a mistake the moment he arrived for basic training. He was still in the airport at Fort Jackson, S.C., with other members of his Minnesota National Guard unit, when an officer reprimanded him publicly for leaving a paper cup on his seat in the airport.

His twin brother, Leif, started having doubts within weeks when a drill sergeant indicated they were probably headed to Iraq. Leif said that possibility had been downplayed by the recruiter who signed him up in Duluth.

On Jan. 2, the twins, age 21, and their brother Leo, 20, went AWOL from the Army. All three failed to return to basic training after Christmas break in northern Minnesota. Five months later, Luke has been released from the military, while Leif and Leo remain absent without leave. They say they plan to turn themselves in soon.

The Kamunen brothers are an example of a growing problem -- Army desertions have risen 35 percent in the past two years, according to Defense Department figures. The number rose from 2,450 in 2004 to 3,301 in 2006.

There are many more who go AWOL -- tens of thousands who leave without permission for anywhere from 24 hours to 30 days.

"In any large group of military, you are always going to have some people change their minds," said Dennis Schulstad, a retired Air Force brigadier general and a former Minneapolis City Council member. Soldiers who desert are only a fraction of the 2.5 million in the military.

But Ronald Krebs, a political science professor at the University of Minnesota, blames the sharp rise on the "unfathomable pressure" that recruiters are now under. He says that forces them to lower standards and recruit people who might be less stable.

"Lower-quality recruits desert at much higher rates than higher-quality recruits," said Krebs, author of "Fighting for Rights: Military Service and the Politics of Citizenship," published last year by Cornell University Press.

The Kamunens are typical of young recruits who go AWOL, said Sam Diener of the GI Rights Hotline, a national organization that counsels soldiers. "The recruits are disproportionately rural, mostly high school graduates who aren't sure what to do next," he said.

Still, the Kamunens' situation is unusual, simply because there are three of them. "I've talked to thousands and thousands of AWOLs," said the GI Hotline's Bill Galvin. "And I don't think I've ever heard of two brothers going AWOL at the same time."

Give it a read and tell me what you really think?!?!?!??!? Thanks in advance!!!!!
    I'm not so sure you can't just ring this up as the the gimme mentality of today's kids. When they realized there was actually work involved in soldiering, they want no part of it. And since the 3 are brothers, it stands a good possibility you can blame the way they were raised.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lkamunen View Post
    I suggest you lose the attitude and language if you plan on posting here. Disagree all you like but it's not wise to come off like a troll on your first few posts.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock