View Poll Results: Which of the listed series is your favorite?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star Wars

4 28.57%
  • Godfather

1 7.14%
  • Pirates of the Caribbean

0 0%
  • Star Trek

0 0%
  • Indiana Jones

2 14.29%
  • Alien(s)

0 0%
  • Lord of the Rings

6 42.86%
  • Harry Potter

1 7.14%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

As for the actual survey....

Alien - The first one was outstanding, great special effects, even by today's standards. That movie is a shining example of why practical special effects will always be better than CGI, something like the facehugger hatching scene works so well because of the immediacy of it, you feel like you're actually watching this happen. Aliens was really good, if not completely different from the first one. It's more or less a gory action movie, but a very good one. Alien 3 had potential, and the director's cut is infinitely better than the theatrical cut, but, I dunno. It felt like mostly a retread. I wouldn't really count Alien: Resurrection as part of the series, though I'm not sure why. It just feels very tacked-on. It's got some good ideas, though, like the room full of messed-up Ripley clones. That moment was legitimately creepy. And, let's just pretend Alien vs. Predator never even happened, okay?

Pirates - Haven't seen the third one, but the first two are really good. Amazing special effects (I know, I know, it's CGI, but it's one of the only movies that I thought did CGI well), but I don't think it holds up against the other series too well. For one thing, I didn't care about any of the characters other than Jack Sparrow and Davey Jones, but then, in the second one, when they focused on Sparrow more, I thought it took away from the film. Weird, I know. Again, I haven't seen the third one, but as far as the first two, the plot didn't matter at all. It was just all action, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially considering it's a movie based on a ride.

Star Trek- I really hate Star Trek. I've never watched more than 10 minutes of any of the movies, so I can't really comment on it.

Indiana Jones- This might be my favorite out of this list. I haven't seen them since I was probably 10 years old (which may account for why I still love them so), but they're really well-done, and they have that Spielberg sense of "fun", which I think he's lost in his newer movies.

Godfather - See above.

Star Wars - Well, contrary to what everyone's saying, I sort of feel like one has to consider the prequels along with the original trilogy. The original is great, no question, though again, I haven't watched them in years. No, wait, I take that back, I watched the first 10 minutes of Jedi a few weeks ago and all the terrible CGI in Jabba's lair just infuriated me so much, I had to turn it off. So, y'know what, due in part to Lucas willfully ruining the originals as well as adding crappy extra chapters to an already-perfect story, I can't give this series any more than two stars at the most.

Harry Potter- I only saw one of these, which was, I believe, the fourth one. Had no clue what was going on, but I wasn't really interested in any of it. Seemed very kid-oriented.
    Free the West Memphis 3.... http://www.wm3.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

can someone explain what was so groundbreaking about star wars?... I just don't get it.
    See You In Hell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chum43 View Post
    can someone explain what was so groundbreaking about star wars?... I just don't get it.
    Prior to Star Wars, all sci-fi movies were lame, low-budget, and targetted exclusively towards children (which is why Lucas had so much trouble getting it made). There was nothing REAL about them. Everything looked like it had just come out of the box. Characters who had supposedly lived with the technology for their entire lives felt the need to give boring explanations on how each piece of technology worked. Aliens were all either human look-alikes or terrible monsters who ate children. Technology had stupid names and all characters referred to them as their full, proper names, which would be like me seeing an M-16 sitting in my car and say, "Hmm, I wonder why there's a late model .223 caliber Colt M-16 automatic assault rifle placed in the rear seat of my 1999 4-cylinder Saturn LS?" as opposed to "Why the hell is there a gun in my car." Last, but not least, spaceships and their movement didn't look realistic, and space fights were dull to watch.

When Lucas started Star Wars, he tried to make what he called a 'used' universe. Han Solo is constantly doing maintanence on his dirty, old-model starship. The droids are forever getting grimy. Nobody explains why stuff works, it just does. Nobody uses drawn out terms to refer to everyday objects when 'blaster' 'freighter' and 'fighter' will do. There are lots of humans, but even the inhuman aliens can be seen enjoying a quiet drink, performing or listen to music, or just having a conversation. The main characters were people you could relate to. They started out as ordinary guys doing (fairly) ordinary things (we don't all have a hovering car, but just about anybody can relate to 'farmboy'). The story was a common one, taking aspects from many different epics and combining them in a different setting, ensuring that the setting was more of a backdrop to the story than being the story itself, as it should be, so that the alien setting didn't put off the audience.

Then there were the special effects. Ben Burt, the guy who did the sound effects for all 6 Star Wars movies, made what he called an 'organic' soundtrack, that featured almost exclusively things you could find in the real world, rather than what was synthesized. Half of R2-D2's sounds were made by Ben Burt himself, and most of the blaster sounds or a hammer striking a radio tower guide line. This type of stuff made it seem more real. On the visual side, Lucas started up his special effects from scratch, making props from all kinds of things, but the biggest breakthrough was creating the illusion of spaceships moving with full freedom of movement, making space-born dogfights that were every bit as exciting as terrestrial dogfights in a good WWII movie (in fact, the guys that filmed the space battles went through a whole bunch of old WWII movies looking for stuff they could re-create in space).

In the after-effects of Star Wars, their special effects techniques are still used today, the summer blockbusters are made as action movies instead of dramas, and nearly every sci-fi saga goes for the 'used universe' effect. It defied, then changed, the entire industry.
    "Lighght"
    - This 'poem' was bought and paid for with $2,250 of YOUR money.

Name one thing the government does better than the private sector and I'll show you something that requires the use of force to accomplish.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Watch some other action/adventure/sci-fi movies made in 1976, then watch Star Wars. The special effects are mindblowing and it showed Hollywood that sci-fi movies weren't just for kids. Without it, movies like Alien probably wouldn't have been greenlit.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok, bringing realism to sci-fi with dialogue and everyday actions I see, you make a good case for that... but as for the special effects and sci-fi being just for kids before that let me ask you, have you ever seen 2001: a space oddyssey?... I mean aside from light sabers and a few nifty flying maneuvers 2001 looks like it was made 10 years after the original star wars, not before.
    See You In Hell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

even john carpenters dark star has decent space effects, given not as polished, but i guess the question is does it really need to be.

you want to talk special effects then maybe the second or third one were mindblowing, but certainly not the first one, and that would sort of defeat the purpose of being "groundbreaking", at least in special effects terms.

as for the other stuff about realism and dialogue and aliens and paving the way for all these tv shows and movies about sci-fi fantasy crap, I say the film world would be a lot better off if star wars weren't so groundbreaking in that area.
    See You In Hell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I can't believe I'm doing this but I'm casting my vote for LOTR over Godfather. I absolutely loved Godfather, and watch any one of them again when I have a chance. I love mafia flicks and this one is classic.

I borrowed the first in the series of LOTR from my neighbor a few years ago. I literally wanted to get the next 2 by the time the first was over. In fact, I DID go an get the next 2 the next day because I just had to see the rest. Normally I can't stand movies that last so long but the storyline here just kept me watching until it was all over.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I can't believe I'm doing this but I'm casting my vote for LOTR over Godfather. I absolutely loved Godfather, and watch any one of them again when I have a chance. I love mafia flicks and this one is classic.

I borrowed the first in the series of LOTR from my neighbor a few years ago. I literally wanted to get the next 2 by the time the first was over. In fact, I DID go an get the next 2 the next day because I just had to see the rest. Normally I can't stand movies that last so long but the storyline here just kept me watching until it was all over.

Turn in your NYC permit card.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Star Wars, however only episodes IV, V, and VI. I'm not as much of a fan on episodes I, II, and III. Jarjar Binks just ruined it for me, and Hayden Christen's acting was awful.

LOTR was great however I had liked the books better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok, bringing realism to sci-fi with dialogue and everyday actions I see, you make a good case for that... but as for the special effects and sci-fi being just for kids before that let me ask you, have you ever seen 2001: a space oddyssey?... I mean aside from light sabers and a few nifty flying maneuvers 2001 looks like it was made 10 years after the original star wars, not before.
    It wasn't the first to look good or to market to adults, but how popular and industry-altering was 2001? With its epic story that was easy to get (and less resembled an LSD trip than 2001) and very well-done, Star Wars didn't just make money. It made craploads of money. Star Wars changed the way movies were made in the same way talkies and color did.

To its credit, 2001 had the most convincing sci-fi setting of any movie to date, and actually paid money for product placement rather than the other way around, as is done now, because they wanted the thing to seem more real. Still, it just didn't do enough to have the same effect as Star Wars.
    Last edited by Hobbit; 06-06-2007 at 11:29 PM.
    "Lighght"

Name one thing the government does better than the private sector and I'll show you something that requires the use of force to accomplish.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well some of us just don't think it was a change for the better... mainstream big budget movies just haven't been the same since the late 70's

I also just have a different opinion of groundbreaking, it's the finished product, and it simply didn't have groundbreaking sci fi special effects, because special effects had been done better prior in a sci fi movie... but I'll agree it did change things, I just don't give it credit for such changes, I give it a discredit, as much as I did enjoy the movies, they are enjoyable, I just don't think they deserve all the attention they get, nothing special to me, in fact I think I despise the following more than the movies themselves, probably in all these cases... with the exception of indy in small doses, there really isn't anything special or amazing about any of these movies, except that is for their huge out of this world followings and fandom.
    See You In Hell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

well some of us just don't think it was a change for the better... mainstream big budget movies just haven't been the same since the late 70's

I also just have a different opinion of groundbreaking, it's the finished product, and it simply didn't have groundbreaking sci fi special effects, because special effects had been done better prior in a sci fi movie... but I'll agree it did change things, I just don't give it credit for such changes, I give it a discredit, as much as I did enjoy the movies, they are enjoyable, I just don't think they deserve all the attention they get, nothing special to me, in fact I think I despise the following more than the movies themselves, probably in all these cases... with the exception of indy in small doses, there really isn't anything special or amazing about any of these movies, except that is for their huge out of this world followings and fandom.
    Well, now you're just being silly. I'm no big fan of Lord of the Rings, but I wouldn't deny that it had a huge impact on movies in general and they will be considered "important" movies in the future.

Also, I'd like to add The Matrix to this list. It seems like it belongs. Not that I liked the second or third one at all (though I do think the first one will go down as one of the most significant action movies of our generation), but it seems to fit in this list.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not true. All special effects prior to Star Wars paled in comparison.
    "Lighght"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Not true. All special effects prior to Star Wars paled in comparison.
    2001 in 1968
    See You In Hell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2001 in 1968
    Look at 2001 again. All of the spaceships either appear stationary or move in a straight line. The largest special effects breakthrough of Star Wars way making spaceships that had full range of motion in all 3 dimensions.
    "Lighght"