Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default Bow season!!!

Well, BOW SEASON is just two months away (or LESS) depending on where you live so I'd like to start a thread on what my wife and I saw while headed back home yesterday (July 30, 2013). Forgive the photo...we never stopped completely because another guy behind us had also spotted them and pulled over to scope them with his binoculars. This made them very uneasy and the guy would have been better serving to both of he and ourselves had he went on by, turned around and made a more careful approach. They were just about to head out when the photos were taken because the egghead actually started driving the adjacent field to get closer. The five bucks and three other deer with the five (doe or button heads) did not like his approach at all. These deer were not too far from our pastor's property or a major college. They were actually within 500 yards of the college.

Anyway, as an archer ONLY my last hunt with a rifle was back in 2006 or 07 but I've never put a bow down...just love it too much. I'm not as KraZy as I once was in my earlier days but I still get the fever....much like those who have long awaited the Fall Football Season. In fact, opening day still gives me those butterflies I got just before a big game and for those who have played sports or had a part in a play, you know exactly what that type of anxiety can bring. In closing, I hope this thread will bring like-minded individuals closer together and I encourage participation throughout the hunting year (whether your preference is with a gun, bow or cross bow).

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that WE look forward to anyone's scout photos, stories or wisdom in preparing for the coming BOW SEASON!

~Red State
    NEVER MESS WITH AN
    IRISH/SCOTT/ITALIAN CHEROKEE!

"A wise man is at the right hand but a fool is at the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
    "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God" Psalms 53:1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default Again, forgive the photo from yesterday...

Again, forgive the photo of the deer from yesterday....
    7-29-13 (3).JPG

Attachment 5343
    7-30-13 2006 last "gun buck"

David's first deer with a bow Nov.jpg
    My son's FIRST bow kill. (Nov. 2007)
    NEVER MESS WITH AN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

'Bo knows'...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Nice Deer !!!
    We start down here I think the middle of September with primitive arms and Bow , I haven't hunted since leaving SC but I am thinking of putting up a stand in the yard this year, I have 4 acres with a creek that run through the back and the deer walk through there all the time, a guy down the street has taken many out of the his yard that is the same as mine, I was concerned because although we have (I think) it is like 31/2 to 5 acre lots here it is still kind of close, but this guy assures me they walk all the time there , so I walked down there and sure enough Buck and doe tracks everywhere , heck I had a little ones tracks right in front of my shop , and the law is no hunting within 100 yards of the closest dwelling , so I may need to give it a shot.

I have never hunted with a Bow but think that is how I will go , all I have talked to have assured me if I ever do I wont want to go back to a rifle and with houses as close as they are I think a Bow is the way to go .

I really Miss SC when hunting comes along, there season is from August 1 to January 1 and you can shoot a Buck everyday , as for does they have special Does days where you may take 2 on that day or if you own enough land or hunt with someone that does ya get Doe tags so there is always plenty of time to thin them out a bit
    Last edited by Jeff; 07-31-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Jeff, I've always told folks to not make the same mistakes that I've made over the many years of hunting (or, in general, bow hunting). One of these mistakes is to believe that you need some sort of a plantation or THOUSANDS of gov. land to hunt. This simply isn't true and if you have ONE acre in the right spot....you can do FAR better on that one acre than with thousands of mediocre acres. In fact,

As for laws in hunting FROM or around houses or other structures, we can get into legalities if you like. I don't agree with such things (unless you plan to hunt just 20 yards from your street light. HA! I know an ole redneck boy who brags about the deer around his house where they feed under the street light. He says he's killed many of them while they ate the acorns at night. I frown on such things and usually just listen to him. I knew that he'd eventually wear out his welcome.....and he did by killing the 15 to 20 or so deer that he once had coming to his house. Still, I don't agree with stupid laws and one of them is in what you have mentioned. If you have a house in the middle of nowhere and wish to take a deer (without going out in the weather) I'm all for it (if you take the deer honorably). I am also against laws that are unConstitutional (such as the NO LOADED GUN during deer season law). Many folks can't afford a pistol or simply don't like them and may have a rifle for self preservation. This idiotic law was made for "bad apples" and to make it easier for game officials to catch "bad apples". It is also another way to create "revenue" so I have no doubts about the unConstitutionality of this law. Another law that I can't stand is the "primitive weapon" law. In some States, it is highly illegal to take a crossbow during "primitive weapon" season......and even during the RIFLE SEASON. Some States have gotten better but most still "regulate" crossbows unfairly. I suspect this is so it would be easier for a game official to HEAR what one is doing and as we all know, a crossbow is a GREAT mid-range weapon with virtually NO sound. I prefer a bow but I also like a crossbow ever since I got one for my son (who was too young for a 45 or 50 cal muzzle-loader). I HATE muzzle loaders by the way....never could shoot one well enough to have confidence. This brings me to my next point about crossbow regulations. They highly regulate crossbows YET allow single shot, long distance RIFLES during primitive/so-called muzzle loader season and this is plain WRONG and highly STUPID. I know I have ranted on but, Jeff, you brought legality up so I wanted to deal with that. This thread is truly for anything that one would like to ask or share with others.

Jeff, you mentioned that you are a first time bow hunter so I'd suggest you ask yourself a few questions first:
    One: How serious am I on this quest?
    Two: What type bow would I enjoy more?
    Three: What am I willing to invest?

My reply to question #1 would be in a bit of advice. If you do ANYTHING, do it to the best of your ability. This means getting a bow that you are comfortable with and practice, Practice, PRACTICE. Know you're limits in cost, time and ability. You don't have to get "the best" but you need to take it serious enough to avoid JUNK.
    As for question #2, I'd suggest you try a few bows out (especially if you have friends who bowhunt already). If not, you can always talk with a dealer. Many will even allow you to shoot a few bows and let you be the judge. As for the types of bows, there are far too many to discuss at this point but you have two main catagories to consider: TRADITIONAL and Modern. Each have sub-catogories but you'll need to know if you want to hold a bow that man held long ago or use an item that may provide more benefits (and I do hate using the word benefits but that is exactly the case). With traditional bows such as recurve, long bow and a few others in between, you'll definitely need to practice more and get in shape more cuz the bow is part of you and relies ONLY on your strength, consintration and natural ability. You can equipt such bows with modern "xtras" but you'll still need to practice pulling it back and holding it steady with a mastery of the same, exact release each time. Otherwise, you need to forget about it. The better choice that renders more benefit with less amount of time or physical ability would be modern bows such as compounds. They can be simplified depending on "let-off" or doing without all the bells and whistles OR you can go all out and bolt just about everything imaginable to them with as high a "LET OFF" as 90%. Let-off is that amount that the bow will assist in holding at full draw and usually kicks in during the drawing process. I can shoot instinctively with ALL forms of archery or use the most advanced systems but I prefer a 60# Darton Excell at 65%-75% let-off for hunting or tournament shooting. I've taken many deer with this particular brand and videoed quite a bit of these hunts (including a nice, unusually beautiful 8pt with 6" brow tines). I've also taken many deer with a 55-60lbs Martin Lynx and a beautiful (but expensive) Martin Maverick at 90# with 80% let-off. I sold both because I prefer the simplicity, speed, smoothness and reliability of the DARTONS (made in Michigan I believe). Anyway, you've got a lot of research to do and little time to apply everything you need before mid-Sept or OCTOBER. As a general rule.....especially with your just now getting into this, I'd suggest a second hand bow on Ebay and practice at TWICE the distance that you're willing to actually make on a deer. You may get VERY good at 30 yds (for example) but a lot comes into play when a deer walks up....especially if that deer is a monster. HA!!! So, at 30yds of practice, I'd try for a 12-15 yard shot at a deer. In fact, most of my deer have been taken at 12 yards. As thick as it gets around here, I don't like those longer, "IFY" shots. Too much can happen and I'd rather play it safe and see or hear one go down (rather than spend all day or all night looking for an animal that was not shot within a perfect kill zone). If you plan to go the TYR route and use a two sticks and a string, I would like to say that I bought my son a Samich sage two Christmas's ago and it is a cheap, brand new bow that shoots surprisingly well....just don't get one with too much muscle because it'll take a great deal of muscle. HA! 45 pounds is PLENTY to kill a deer and if you've never shot before....you'll quickly feel that 45 pounds after practicing. HA!!!!

Anyway, thanks for posting....If I can help in any way, I'll certainly do so.

PS: below is a Samick Sage (South Korean Bow) Of course, Tyr has some OLDIES but GOODIES that cost 10 times what this brand new one costs.

NEVER MESS WITH AN

6. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

[QUOTE=red state;655296]Jeff, I've always told folks to not make the same mistakes that I've made over the many years of hunting (or, in general, bow hunting). One of these mistakes is to believe that you need some sort of a plantation or THOUSANDS of gov. land to hunt. This simply isn't true and if you have ONE acre in the right spot....you can do FAR better on that one acre than with thousands of mediocre acres. In fact,

As for laws in hunting FROM or around houses or other structures, we can get into legalities if you like. I don't agree with such things (unless you plan to hunt just 20 yards from your street light. HA! I know an ole redneck boy who brags about the deer around his house where they feed under the street light. He says he's killed many of them while they ate the acorns at night. I frown on such things and usually just listen to him. I knew that he'd eventually wear out his welcome.....and he did by killing the 15 to 20 or so deer that he once had coming to his house. Still, I don't agree with stupid laws and one of them is in what you have mentioned. If you have a house in the middle of nowhere and wish to take a deer (without going out in the weather) I'm all for it (if you take the deer honorably). I am also against laws that are unConstitutional (such as the NO LOADED GUN during deer season law). Many folks can't afford a pistol or simply don't like them and may have a rifle for self preservation. This idiotic law was made for "bad apples" and to make it easier for game officials to catch "bad apples". It is also another way to create "revenue" so I have no doubts about the unConstitutionality of this law. Another law that I can't stand is the "primitive weapon" law. In some States, it is highly illegal to take a crossbow during "primitive weapon" season......and even during the RIFLE SEASON. Some States have gotten better but most still "regulate" crossbows unfairly. I suspect this is so it would be easier for a game official to HEAR what one is doing and as we all know, a crossbow is a GREAT mid-range weapon with virtually NO sound. I prefer a bow but I also like a crossbow ever since I got one for my son (who was too young for a 45 or 50 cal muzzle-loader). I HATE muzzle loaders by the way....never could shoot one well enough to have confidence. This brings me to my next point about crossbow regulations. They highly regulate crossbows YET allow single shot, long distance RIFLES during primitive/so-called muzzle loader season and this is plain WRONG and highly STUPID. I know I have ranted on but, Jeff, you brought legality up so I wanted to deal with that. This thread is truly for anything that one would like to ask or share with others.

Jeff, you mentioned that you are a first time bow hunter so I'd suggest you ask yourself a few questions first:

My reply to question #1 would be in a bit of advice. If you do ANYTHING, do it to the best of your ability. This means getting a bow that you are comfortable with and practice, Practice, PRACTICE. Know you're limits in cost, time and ability. You don't have to get "the best" but you need to take it serious enough to avoid JUNK.
    As for question #2, I'd suggest you try a few bows out (especially if you have friends who bowhunt already). If not, you can always talk with a dealer. Many will even allow you to shoot a few bows and let you be the judge. As for the types of bows, there are far too many to discuss at this point but you have two main catagories to consider: TRADITIONAL and Modern. Each have sub-catogories but you'll need to know if you want to hold a bow that man held long ago or use an item that may provide more benefits (and I do hate using the word benefits but that is exactly the case). With traditional bows such as recurve, long bow and a few others in between, you'll definitely need to practice more and get in shape more cuz the bow is part of you and relies ONLY on your strength, consintration and natural ability. You can equipt such bows with modern "xtras" but you'll still need to practice pulling it back and holding it steady with a mastery of the same, exact release each time. Otherwise, you need to forget about it. The better choice that renders more benefit with less amount of time or physical ability would be modern bows such as compounds. They can be simplified depending on "let-off" or doing without all the bells and whistles OR you can go all out and bolt just about everything imaginable to them with as high a "LET OFF" as 90%. Let-off is that amount that the bow will assist in holding at full draw and usually kicks in during the drawing process. I can shoot instinctively with ALL forms of archery or use the most advanced systems but I prefer a 60# Darton Excell at 65%-75% let-off for hunting or tournament shooting. I've taken many deer with this particular brand and videoed quite a bit of these hunts (including a nice, unusually beautiful 8pt with 6" brow tines). I've also taken many deer with a 55-60lbs Martin Lynx and a beautiful (but expensive) Martin Maverick at 90# with 80% let-off. I sold both because I prefer the simplicity, speed, smoothness and reliability of the DARTONS (made in Michigan I believe). Anyway, you've got a lot of research to do and little time to apply everything you need before mid-Sept or OCTOBER. As a general rule.....especially with your just now getting into this, I'd suggest a second hand bow on Ebay and practice at TWICE the distance that you're willing to actually make on a deer. You may get VERY good at 30 yds (for example) but a lot comes into play when a deer walks up....especially if that deer is a monster. HA!!! So, at 30yds of practice, I'd try for a 12-15 yard shot at a deer. In fact, most of my deer have been taken at 12 yards. As thick as it gets around here, I don't like those longer, "IFY" shots. Too much can happen and I'd rather play it safe and see or hear one go down (rather than spend all day or all night looking for an animal that was not shot within a perfect kill zone). If you plan to go the TYR route and use a two sticks and a string, I would like to say that I bought my son a Samich sage two Christmas's ago and it is a cheap, brand new bow that shoots surprisingly well....just don't get one with too much muscle because it'll take a great deal of muscle. HA! 45 pounds is PLENTY to kill a deer and if you've never shot before....you'll quickly feel that 45 pounds after practicing. HA!!!!

PS: below is a Samick Sage (South Korean Bow) Of course, Tyr has some OLDIES but GOODIES that cost 10 times what this brand new one costs.

[/QUOTE

I truly appreciate the advice because just like ya said ya walk into the sport store and they have a thousand different types of Bows and if ya aren't familiar with them they all look foreign to me, but I have a buddy down here that is into Bow hunting and has offered to let me try his bows like you he has high dollar and older ones and again like you he said ya need to shoot them to feel what is comfortable to me, he says all the time a $500 Bow may work well for one but the other guy may do better with the cheap one ( or a more expensive one ) so I guess I will head up to see him and see how they feel, again thanks for the advice and I will keep ya posted on my success or lack of
    Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up

8. Thanks red state thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Sounds great....just remember that a name is often times overrated. I shoot Browning rifles/shotguns but I'm not going to dare say that they are the BEST (I just happen to think so with good reason). Same goes for bows, I truly like PSE and DARTON....even though I had shot MARTIN most of my life. HA! Martins are good but I truly believe they are over rated and go by NAME much of the time. The expensive Martin Maverick has a speed string and often "blew up on me". I'm just glad it was under a NEW bow warranty. HA!!! My old Darton has been thrown on the other side of creeks, dropped from the tree stand and dryfired by my son. hA!!! It is VERY reliable (the AK47 of compound bows in my opinion).

Ebay is a very good way to get a good bow for a little. I've bought 5 on Ebay (including my son's electric blue tournament bow) and I've always been very pleased.

Glad I could help....you sound as though you have a great, dependable friend who will undoubtedly steer you in the RIGHT location.
    NEVER MESS WITH AN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Nice Deer !!!
    We start down here I think the middle of September with primitive arms and Bow , I haven't hunted since leaving SC but I am thinking of putting up a stand in the yard this year, I have 4 acres with a creek that run through the back and the deer walk through there all the time, a guy down the street has taken many out of the his yard that is the same as mine, I was concerned because although we have (I think) it is like 31/2 to 5 acre lots here it is still kind of close, but this guy assures me they walk all the time there , so I walked down there and sure enough Buck and doe tracks everywhere , heck I had a little ones tracks right in front of my shop , and the law is no hunting within 100 yards of the closest dwelling , so I may need to give it a shot.

I have never hunted with a Bow but think that is how I will go , all I have talked to have assured me if I ever do I wont want to go back to a rifle and with houses as close as they are I think a Bow is the way to go .

I really Miss SC when hunting comes along, there season is from August 1 to January 1 and you can shoot a Buck everyday , as for does they have special Does days where you may take 2 on that day or if you own enough land or hunt with someone that does ya get Doe tags so there is always plenty of time to thin them out a bit
    Jeff , Redstate gave you great advice about archery and bow hunting. He is even more into it than I currently am. He knows his stuff too. If new into bow hunting just make sure you get a bow you can handle well. Do not go with a heavier weight than you can comfortably handle and shoot well. I'd say 45 to 50 pounds and if later you find you can go heavier do so. Heavier just means flatter shooting and deeper penetration but since it is deer you want to hunt a 45 pound bow does the trick too. Now if you are going with a compound you should be able to handle and shoot a 60 to 65 pounder easily. Myself, I shoot longbow or recurve --no compounds--traditional archery all the way with me. I will not even shoot a crossbow. I've been shooting since I was 6 years old so I usual shoot my Tom Cole custom made 78 pounder! I pull anchoring at my ear --Old ENGLISH -- which gives me 31 inches draw length. And that adds about 7 more pounds. So I have shot and still can adequately shoot an 85 pounder. Heavy enough to hunt bear with... You have a friend there you say that bow hunts so you'll do fine going with his advice . Have any questions feel free to ask here this thread or send me a pm. -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red state View Post
    Jeff, I've always told folks to not make the same mistakes that I've made over the many years of hunting (or, in general, bow hunting). One of these mistakes is to believe that you need some sort of a plantation or THOUSANDS of gov. land to hunt. This simply isn't true and if you have ONE acre in the right spot....you can do FAR better on that one acre than with thousands of mediocre acres. In fact,

I have those oldies but goodies because I did not yield to the temptation to sell when offered huge sums of money over the years. All worth even more because they all are left hand bows! Even my Bandito Recurve is left handed. My older brother that shoots bows is left handed he gets one if I pass on, the rest go to my son who is right handed but I'll start soon on getting him to shoot left handed so he can use them when I am long gone. Any of the old Ben Pearson or Fred Bear bows are good IF one finds them in good shape and functioning. I have a Bobby Lofton custom longbow(Maple/Purpleheart on blackglass) I wouldn't take a 1000 bucks for. He died about 10/12 years ago! He made it for me about 5 years before he passed on. -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

That's all great advice and you actually reminded me of something I meant to mention.

Jeff, I am right handed and have always shot LEFT handed but after a firearm and other incidents, I can no longer pull the string adequately with my left hand so I now shoot right handed. I prefer to shoot left handed because my left eye is dominant (still is) but it is simply one of those things that you have to contend with as you age or take on damage. SO....you will need to put both your index fingers together and (without thinking about it) point at an object. Close on eye and then the other to determine which is closer to the "targeted object". This will tell you which eye is dominant and which bow (right or left) you'd do better with. If both eyes are pretty much on the target....THAT's GREAT but do this time and time again (as a quick draw if necessary) to find out which is the better eye. I also prefer to shoot a left-handed bow because you actually hold a left-handed bow in your RIGHT hand and pull the string with your left......I always associated this with shooting a pistol (just with the wrong eye). HA!!! As Tyr, said, I'm sure your friend will know exactly what to do in getting your started. HAPPY HUNTIN'!

Thanks, TYR, for reminding me about that cuz even though J is right handed, his left eye may actually be dominant (making your old bows PERFECT).
    NEVER MESS WITH AN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default ...continue the path of the arrow...

by the by....has anyone saw those jellyfoam ZOMBIE targets they have out now for archery and bb guns? They actually oooze blood-like stuff when shot. HA! Not sure I'd want all that on my arrows but it would be cool if you were a kid with an old Daizy. It actually reminded me of a joke I pulled on one of dad's friends (who bow hunts for elk out west....until he got too old). I rigged up one of my 3D buck targets with at water balloon full of red food coloring. When he shot it....you should have seen his look when the thing started to bleed. HA!

I got my son really good at an early age by cutting him out a buck made of 3/4 plywood. It had a cut-out in the kill zone with foam from a 3-d deer. IF he hit it right....it stuck in. If he hit the leg or gut....it'd bounce or ruin an arrow. He has been shooting since he was 2 or 3 (mostly home made bows) and by the time he was 6 or 7, he was literally bringing squirrels out of the woods...I'd be in the next hollow in case he needed me but he'd always come to me on his own (smiling and quite proud of the shish~kebob on his arrow that was to be his supper. The boy has a steady hand and keen eye but he's at the age now (college years) to where archery is second fiddle. I'll probably have to wait another several years before getting him BACK from the books, the girls and the Xbox crowd. Oh well, at least he's not into the drugs and drinking that I was doing at his age (THANK GOD)!

Sure hope this thread lives on....I truly don't mind how it branches out (but I do want it to continue the path of the arrow).
    NEVER MESS WITH AN

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Nice Deer !!!

You may not know this but when I am in the East I notice far more deer than I see in Ca. I can positively get to Yorktown and drive or walk around and see deer. In Ca, there are a lot of deer but perhaps hunting them a lot smartened them up and they are harder to find. Any thoughts on this? You guys must hunt the hell out of them so i don't get it. I plan to check to see if there are stats on how many deer are left in CA. I appraised a home in the mountains once and noticed deer laying about in yards but those homes are spread out and very rural.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default Location, location, location....

Much of it is in having more land per deer. Another aspect is in the diverse regions of CA. You guys have one of the most beautiful States I've ever seen. You have mountains, rivers, valleys, desert, flats full of grapes and almost PERFECT weather in the Big Bay area!!! I saw no deer when I visited SF and Sacramento last year but while driving through the wineries, saw many HUGE jack rabbits. I didn't even know you had them (till I saw them) but it really depends on the area.....you simply haven't found them yet. There's places in my area that have MANY deer but you can go just two or three miles and rarely see one. It truly is LOCATION, Location, location. and where the perfect scenarios are is where the deer will be...or turkey...or coyote or anything really. The type of agriculture is different in CA so that is also a major factor. A lot of folks go for beautiful timbered areas so I'd suggest you look in the nasty areas where timber has been cut and replaced by hard to walk thickets.....that is where the deer are when there is no adequate agriculture. Hope this helps....and HAPPY HUNTING!
    NEVER MESS WITH AN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    You may not know this but when I am in the East I notice far more deer than I see in Ca. I can positively get to Yorktown and drive or walk around and see deer. In Ca, there are a lot of deer but perhaps hunting them a lot smartened them up and they are harder to find. Any thoughts on this? You guys must hunt the hell out of them so i don't get it. I plan to check to see if there are stats on how many deer are left in CA. I appraised a home in the mountains once and noticed deer laying about in yards but those homes are spread out and very rural.
    DEER ARE SMART ANIMALS AND THEY LEARN REAL QUICK WHAT AND WHO TO AVOID! When an area has been hunted a lot they are skittish and quite easily spooked. They tend to move about with even more of the extreme caution that usual. They shy way from wide open spaces etc. On the other hand in areas never hunted they are often quite bold even during daylight hours. The cagey old bucks are even more alert and cautious. Often one has to let the doe's move on by to wait for the buck that lets them go forth to be the victim if danger awaits.-Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

A client of mine in CA (who was once a good ole boy from AL and MO) says that there are plentiful game and they've actually had a problem with hogs in certain areas (I think in the mountainous areas North or North East of Sacramento. I'd try the base of mountains where ever green meet hardwoods and where plenty of water can be found. Whitetail, unlike other CA animals such as the big horn sheep, need lots and lots of water. I'm not sure but I'd suspect that those HUGE rabbits I saw need very little water cuz they certainly didn't seem to be around any water. Boy ole boy, I'd just LOVE to stick several of those long ears with my bow and arrow!!!! That'd be almost as much fun as bow fishing (which can also be discussed here if anyone wishes to do so). Have at it guys and gals....this is very enjoyable. WE all need the change!
    NEVER MESS WITH AN